event horizon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for the tutorials bassquake, I think I'll try the SNES one first, I have the xbox duke controller, the vga cable and just need a pad, are you going to try on a MD 6 button pad too?

#92 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

hello. trying this out for the first time. got 2 nes controllers working great! but a few problems with genesis and the fat boy it self:

1. do i need to remove all resistors on genesis controllers? i made a 3 button and it was all messed up but i forgot to remove the resistors in this pic by bassquake: http://img38.imagesh...nlymarkedr.jpg/ (thanks a million for this btw). i went back took those off and some of my issues were solved but C is still messed up and i think A and B are the same button. see how all the resistors in that pic on the right are removed but not the left or the bottom ones? maybe he just didn't do it before this pic? the only button messed up on this 3 button controller is C. it thinks im holding down "speed up cpu" (as in makes game speed up) however that's currently mapped to right trigger and i don't have right trigger even soldered on the fat boy pcb yet. i did a 6 button and it was even more messed up. same thing, B speed things up and made neogenesis say "game loaded" ect... i didn't remove any resistors on this board. do i need to remove all on both?

2. where is tp63 on the fat boy? i looked all over it and cant see it anywhere. I'm pretty sure i found tp64 OK. there is sorta an arrow to what i think it is.

3. last i have a genesis controller that is different than both bassquakes and pimpmaul69's and need to know the tp points or at least how to figure out my self what tp points i need to solder what to. here's a pic of the pcb: IPB Image
its similar to bassquakes. but different.

p.s. i live in the states and found that same 3 button genesis pcb in a controller as bassquake's "pal MD 3 button". it has a grey start button and says sega genesis on it. guess they used it here too.

Edited by dballs442, 17 February 2011 - 12:17 AM.

#93 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

ok i solved #1 and #2. turns out i had my "B" button on the wrong TP point on my modded xbox controller. all that went away. and for #2 i just soldered to the middle left trigger solder point on the other side of the controller. still would like to know how i can findout the solder points on the genesis controller though (#3)? i have a multimeter in the mail. should be here soon. ill start to mess around with it see if i cant figure it out. but if someone is will to say how to figure where to solder which wire on a pcb that would help.

here is my only real problem right now. my white button thinks its held down all the time on my fat boy controller. even when a retro isnt hooked up to the db15. the solder looks good and its in the right place. here are some pics:

IPB Image
IPB Image

its the yellow one on TP72.

im going to make another xbox controller db15 mod here in the next day or two. ill see if it does it again. could it be that i just need to put the controller back together? why wouldn't other buttons have this problem? any thoughts?

#94 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

alright just made another fat boy and it works perfect. i even tried desoldering the "white" TP (TP72 yellow) and soldering it back again as best i could. same results. the solder looks perfect. the problem i think must be somewhere else. but where?

(ever get the feeling your talking to yourself lol)

#95 liveinexia

liveinexia

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:21 AM

i am attempting to use a wireless controller so a totally different PCB than the fatboy which i am pretty confident i can figure out except for finding where to ground and where to use the +5v. should i use a voltmeter and just test spots or is there a specific place the +5V needs to connect to?

#96 grantshoarma

grantshoarma

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Does anyone know if I can safely desolder and remove the triggers, analog controllers, and memory card ports off of the PCB and not affect its functionality?

I'm making a two-player version of this and trying to get everything to fit inside a fairly small enclosure but these parts are too bulky....

Edited by grantshoarma, 15 April 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#97 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Memory unit connectors, yes. Analogue sticks, no. They would have to be either replaced with some resistors to keep the sticks outputting an "at dead zone" signal, or removed and then wired remotely somewhere else. You might be able to save SOME space by removing the plastic thumb stick parts and then cutting off the rods that they attach to.

Not sure about the triggers.

#98 Garrett.19

Garrett.19

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE(liveinexia @ Sep 27 2011, 08:21 PM) View Post

i am attempting to use a wireless controller so a totally different PCB than the fatboy which i am pretty confident i can figure out except for finding where to ground and where to use the +5v. should i use a voltmeter and just test spots or is there a specific place the +5V needs to connect to?

HERE is the topic page if you remove the analog sticks. Use the same process for the triggers because they are both analog. The memory card port can be removed without any problems with functionality.

QUOTE(dballs442 @ Feb 19 2011, 07:11 AM) View Post

alright just made another fat boy and it works perfect. i even tried desoldering the "white" TP (TP72 yellow) and soldering it back again as best i could. same results. the solder looks perfect. the problem i think must be somewhere else. but where?
(ever get the feeling your talking to yourself lol)

What wireless controller are you trying this mod with? I was in the process of using a logitech wireless controller but gave up because it is a Matrix layout and not a common ground. So each button would have needed two wires instead of just the main ground wire and one other wire from each button like on the common ground controllers.

#99 cyhill99

cyhill99

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

grantshoarma you have any pics of your enclosure?

#100 grantshoarma

grantshoarma

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

I'm just using this thing from radioshack, but can post photos of the entire thing when it's done. I almost used the cage from an old gutted PC PSU, but it was just a little too ugly for the living room...

#101 cyhill99

cyhill99

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

wow the enclosure box seems a great way to make it slick looking.

i think i would still have a thumbstick sticking out of the top of the box, just to access sub menus for game saves and to exit games on some emulators.

or to access the back+black button in coinops.

kind of limited with an atari controller to exit a game , with just 1 button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users