#1 noomski

noomski

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

Hi I've been searching the around for information on installing an xbox in my car. I've been following some advice from Llamma here, and I like the idea regarding the fact that there's no need to convert the power supply up to AC and then back down to DC. However Llamma's prices for these power supplies ar a bit steep and I live in the UK so i'd have to pay import tax and shipping on something I could modify myself if I could only get the schematics for it. dry.gif

Also If anyone out there has already done a car install and/or could offer some advice or direct me to any other information regarding what requirements I'd need to consider, i'd be greatly appreciative. smile.gif

#2 Cappi

Cappi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Modding the crap out of xbox's
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:25 AM

Make sure you mount the hard drive verticaly to prolong it's life. You can get dc-dc psu's from This place

#3 funnyperson1

funnyperson1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE(Cappi @ May 4 2006, 08:32 PM)  

Make sure you mount the hard drive verticaly to prolong it's life. You can get dc-dc psu's from This place

Unfortunately the 70W will probably not be enough to power an Xbox. The Xbox PSU puts out 66W on the 5V rail, and this one puts out 25, similarly the PicoPSU 80 W won't work either. You need the PicoPSU 120, and then you would need to do the normal conversions to get an ATX psu working in an Xbox.

#4 postal worker

postal worker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:26 AM

this is the power supply : http://www.mp3car.co...ae55303f2505c80

and this is a link that will help i think :
http://forums.xbox-s...l=barusan&st=15

there is a guy that sells the chip and harness...but i haven't been able to pay him due to his paypal doesn't accept credit cards.

#5 beefstu2000

beefstu2000

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

I have a friend who made a mini x-box for his car years back. This is the basics of what he did.

1.)removed all parts from xbox
2.)replaced xbox with a small computer case (i dont have the exact dimensions).
3.)rearranged the motherboard and powersupply so they would stack on top of each other to minimize the space needed. He also removed the dvd drive, for it isnt necessary, he would only ftp to his xbox, and that drive is most of the xbox in size.
4.)replaced the hdd with a laptop 80 gig harddrive (again, size requirements)
5.)installed lcd screen in his car as normal.
6.)installed xbox into his glove compartment.

Now the fun part. how to power it...

He actually tried several different things. You can power it directly through the car, but if your car isn't running, you will have a dead car battery on your hands before you even realize it. He also tried its own power supply by means of battery pack, but that can be expensive. He also mentioned that a dremel battery has enough juice to boot the xbox and run it for about five minutes.

My suggestion, try a few different things... solar panels to a large battery would be pretty sick, but chances are you will want to wire it directly to the car, or run a separate power source from your trunk. If you want, I can put you in contact with him. Just drop me an e-mail. (SAROTHBERG@YAHOO.COM) with any specific questions you may have for him, and I will forward your questions.

#6 bnm727

bnm727

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:05 PM

This might make things a bit easier as a whole. MountMe just announced the first ever car gaming mount, X-Me! It's available for pre-order. Check it out on their website!!!! cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users