12 replies to this topic

#1 cybertlcworld

cybertlcworld

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:52 AM

Why hasn't Macrovision been disabled in the softmod world? I've tried recording from DVD to my DVD recorder and it still detects the macrovision signal (both with the built in DVD player, as well as XBMC). Any reason as to why this hasn't been disabled yet?

#2 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:02 AM

prolly cuz you havent disabled it

muhaha.gif

get over it

#3 cybertlcworld

cybertlcworld

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 02:23 AM

Meaning?

#4 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(cybertlcworld @ May 5 2006, 01:59 AM) View Post

Why hasn't Macrovision been disabled in the softmod world? I've tried recording from DVD to my DVD recorder and it still detects the macrovision signal (both with the built in DVD player, as well as XBMC). Any reason as to why this hasn't been disabled yet?

Macrovision functionality is enabled on the video chip by a sequence of x-codes. These are issued during the hardware initialisation sequence (which in-cludes RAM checks, etc.), well before any peripherals or any softmod is running. The BIOS flashed into hardware mod-chips contain hacked x-codes that skip this macrovision enabling during power up.

Because the video chip is already up and operating by the time the soft-mod kicks in, I don't believe this is reversible, which puts it outside the reach of softmods. unsure.gif

Edited by PedrosPad, 05 May 2006 - 10:28 AM.

#5 dus

dus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

I wanted to point to the fact that the nkpatcher source has the following code:
(nkpatcher.asm)

CODE

;;; --------------------------------------------------------------------------
;;; Disable Macrovision protection

%macro  macrovision 2
        mov     eax,[memdiff]
        mov     edi,%1
        mov     ecx,%2
        mov     dword [eax+edi],ecx
        mov     dword [eax+edi+9*4],ecx
%endmacro

;;; Macrovision patching end

Also in the first post of the Nkpatcher thread, rmenhal clearly stated that nkpatcher has a macrovision off feature. I have not personally verified this though.

Edited by dus, 05 May 2006 - 07:29 PM.

#6 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(dus @ May 5 2006, 07:30 PM) View Post

Also in the first post of the Nkpatcher thread, rmenhal clearly stated that nkpatcher has a macrovision off feature. I have not personally verified this though.

Good catch dus. smile.gif It'd be good to know if that works.

#7 Neilor

Neilor

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

Hey PedroPad just noticed your sig... shit news... hope your going to get a replacement.

#8 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(Neilor @ May 5 2006, 09:24 PM) View Post

Hey PedroPad just noticed your sig... shit news... hope your going to get a replacement.

Ta m8.

In fact the insurance company supplied a new X360 Premium just yesterday smile.gif . I'll unpack it at the weekend and update me sig. happy.gif

Although the burglar got away with my X360, my 32" LCD TV, and my laptop, he left the wireless joystick, and the Hard Drive which was elsewhere at the time. So, with the replacement Premium, I should now have 2 wireless joysticks, and two hard disks. biggrin.gif So some light.

PS. Thanks to my vigilant neighbors who noted the car plate and called the police, they caught the guy only 2 hours after my break-in but hed already offloaded my kit. mad.gif

#9 x_boxer1

x_boxer1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Computers, XBox's & usual's.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:29 AM

Ok obviously you dont know 'poster' that Macrovision is turned off, well can be turned on in most apps, just look at IGR via DVD-X with a certain BIOS (can not post) but its possible.

#10 cybertlcworld

cybertlcworld

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(x_boxer1 @ May 6 2006, 09:36 AM) View Post

Ok obviously you dont know 'poster' that Macrovision is turned off, well can be turned on in most apps, just look at IGR via DVD-X with a certain BIOS (can not post) but its possible.

So what do you mean exactly? Phoenix Bios? All I know is that both in DVDX and XBMC, when playing a DVD, Macrovision is still enabled. Unless other steps need to be taken, it appears as though Macrovision is still functioning on a softmodded box (and yes, I am using the latest version of NKPatcher.

If anyone has successfully turned Macrovision off (within an app or NKpatcher or whatnot), please post as to HOW you did it (I'm not asking for files, just your process). Thanks!

#11 x_boxer1

x_boxer1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Computers, XBox's & usual's.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Yeah i meant in the last post here, on and off vice versa, but i will explain what I can without getting banned.

You will need:
PBL (no lite)
XBMC
DVD2XBox
a movie written to .ISO (not XISO)
a PE tool for Macrovision
a tool which most will know the author from error screen's

in the method it is used by the new .ISO add-in by DVD2XBox, well recent. then by using the KEY (cant say what KEY) to exploit XBMC or a fully hacked MS Dash, in the first boot sequence the BIOS searches for the xbe or iso, before this Macrovision is on or off, no if or buts! To change it (if it was on) you would use the KEY like above in the 'tool' to patch the chip itself in its boot rom, this however has only be tested by three chips, which i have been warned not to mention names. Somewhere in the middle of this PBL and the PE environment takes it place and the ROM succeeds, i first thought about this in the X2.4983+ exploit, but it wasnt 100% working, as i could not specify with IGR nor if it was off the HD, boot disc only worked.

Finally i am not saying Macrovision is fully turned off! What i have achieved is this ->

Record via VCR/DVD/I Link Camera - AVI Monitor. In no way have i obtained any code to permanetly allow it to run on any xbox, with every chip. It works for me, I would post images but two images would have to be not in-cluded.

I would of thought someone would of acheived this by now by someone with 'known status'.

also i know of someone doing something similar with Avalaunch and another exploit.

It would be logic if you could edit the code within signatures of a movie, or in automatic processing tools and warez remove Macrovision on a PC first, then burn then rip, tho thats illegal apparently.

Technologic, theme song from my brains thoughts in the last few years, lol.

#12 cybertlcworld

cybertlcworld

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

Your post is a bit hard to follow, but from what I'm getting.......you must first rip the DVD to the XBOX which then patches the Macrovision key?

You can do the same thing on the PC using DVD Decryptor........burn it back to DVD, and then have it Macrovision-free.

However, I'm just wondering if there is (or ever will be) a way that just DISABLES Macrovision on the softmodded XBOX which requires no ripping - just pop it in and play without Macrovision?

#13 jonels

jonels

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:21 PM

Nothing to do with soft-mods. It is to do with which bios is used and which version xbox, as there a 3 types of video decoder chip.

Try pbl meetoo bios loader and some bfm bios's (intructions are in-cluded, run it as an app so you can keep you're present setup), you can even convert any bios to bfm (Boot From Media..HDD or disc), just make sure it matches you're xbox version and hard drive setup ... though I do feel if you have a 1.6 there won't be too much to try, but I haven't checked lately.

tip.. I wouldn't bother trying M8/M8+ since this is what NKpatcher is taken from, so it's very likely to have the same problems.

Edited by jonels, 07 May 2006 - 06:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users