1 reply to this topic

#1 gfries

gfries

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

I find myself using my xbox to play games approximately 5 mins/month. When I do use it, I usually play N64 games as opposed to xbox games. The main use for my xbox is as a music server. I am using xbmc right now, but want to install linux. I have had people telling me to just use xbmc, but here are my reasons to use linux:

-I hate the fatx file system. I hate having misnamed songs because I can't use certain punctuation or 26+ characters (I'm kind of an organization freak).
-I'd like to be able to watch downloaded video files and dvds, but I don't want to have to waste a DVDR everytime (my thompson drive doesn't read dvdrws).
-I am ready to jump off of a bridge everytime I have to play with the networking settings in the xml file.

First of all, does anybody else think this is a good idea? Secondly, I have some questions about Linux on Xbox:
-If I turn a controller port into a USB drive, can I use a USB thumb drive with Linux?
-Can I replace the Thompson drive with any regular IDE drive? (Not only the Samsung 616T w/soldering)
-Can I use the remote dongle to control Linux functions like I do in xbmc?
-Can I set Linux up to navigate more like xbmc (scrolling like a satellite guide) as opposed to an open interface like windows?

And lastly, should I just shut up and build a low-end windows based music server instead of wasting my time fooling with my xbox?

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by gfries, 09 May 2006 - 09:00 PM.

#2 the_devil73

the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:08 AM

Custom install Gentoo (not gentoox) which will take newbies about a week, and then do

emerge gnump3d

and it will install gnump3d, a free music/video streaming engine

used to work nice for me till i sold my modchip.

bloodgod589 is my aim if u need help

Gentoo sound perfect for your uses. You really need to hit me up on aim if your serious.

Edited by the_devil73, 30 May 2006 - 01:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users