92 replies to this topic

#61 keroji

keroji

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(RBJTech @ Feb 23 2007, 10:23 AM) View Post

'tis a good point and should be mentioned.

Each wire is rated at about 6A tops - the Xbox is rated @ 16.5A (in reality it pulls about 10-12A), so you need at least 3 wires of both the Yellow AND black from the PSU. I'll update my pic to show this. Tks...

Thanks for the heads up. I've been getting the 3 red lights so I thought my 360 was fucked but it was happening with my friend's system as well. I'll try connecting all the yellow and black wires to individual wires from the atx psu.

#62 robb_in_hou

robb_in_hou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

I have tried this mod with no sucess I use a transistor (4401) and a 100K resistor. I have chekced the wiring and all seems right. When I turn on the 360 I get a red ring of ligts. Have I screwed it up?
Here is my set up.
IPB Image
Robert in Houston

#63 Boke

Boke

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:50 AM

Try a 10k resistor. A 100k would not work for me.

#64 booger8364

booger8364

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

Use a 1k Ohm shown in RBJtech's tut it work made one using his tut works fine.

#65 sil180sr

sil180sr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

Just wanted to add, I used the inline transistor method on a ATX PSU with 28A on +12V, works like a charm. Played a few rounds of halo3 and left the 360 on overnight. Haven't seen any setbacks yet! Im curious to ask. How did you guys figure out that the 3 connectors in the middle are positive and the 3 on the bottom were ground? Only reason I ask is because the wire colors on my intercooler plug were switched around. The middle wires were black and the bottom wires were yellow. Im guessing if the polarity is reversed the 360 would have fried?
Regardless, Thanks for the great DIY and saving me some bucks!

#66 leirch

leirch

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:37 PM

I had an old crappy 16.0A 12v 400watt off brand power supply, which worked but got extremely hot and then melted itself.

I was using the transistor method as mentioned before.

Which worked great. I was using an 82.9k ohm resistor. Which worked fine wtih the old supply.

But I just got a nice 430w 18amp 12v thermaltake power supply. I cannot seem to get this to work.

The green atx wire has the 5v when the supply is in standby(off).

I have it wired just like I did on the other one. It doesn't seem to work at all.

Do you think a lower ohm resistor would work better? Probly a 10k? I have some 1-5k ohm ones laying around.

#67 Antman1

Antman1

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

just to clarify if I was going to get all the parts to do this from radio shack what would I need to pick up without ordering anything from digikey or other places?

#68 Boobers

Boobers

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

Just my 2 cents worth..

I tried the transistor power mod with both a 100K and a 47 K. Did not get anything. No power up or anything. But the PSU (250w 12v@14A 5v@25A) does work fine when I have the green and GND wire on a PUSH ON/PUSH OFF switch..

Hmmmmmmmm

Something just occurred to me. I have Pin #2 on the 360 Power Plug side wired to the regular 5v wire that would go into a HD or a CD/DVD Drive on a PC..

Should I, instead, wire Pin #2 to the +5vSB on the PSU which, according to this:

http://pinouts.ru/Po...er_pinout.shtml

...is wire #9

B

#69 hecz

hecz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

how do i get the 3.3v?

#70 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

Im going to be doing this mod soon for my xbox 360 in a pc case... and I have a few questions..

1. Where can I find an ATX power supply with more than 3 12v rails? (need at LEAST one more for all the fans, cold cathodes in case)

2. Instead of soldering everything to the wires coming out of the male power plug from the nyko intercooler which goes to the female plug on the 360 board, could I just desolder the 360 power plug and solder the wires to their appropiate spots going by the diagram in the link below?

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=613160

#71 Mholt215

Mholt215

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:05 AM

Thanks patrick for this tutorial! I went out and bought a 550W power supply, with 32A on the 12v rail biggrin.gif

TOTALLY overkill for this purpose, but better to be safe than sorry.

At first when I plugged it in, 0001 error. Then I realized that I totally wired the IC board wrong, fixed the issue and all is well!

#72 m.player

m.player

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:55 AM

Hey everybody, a little bit of a bump here, but I did the transistor method myself with the exact-right model numbers from RadioShack.

Before I just direct-soldered pin 14 to pin 15 to keep it grounded and sent a red regular +5V to the red on the Xbox. That way I flip the switch on the powersupply and then hit the Xbox power button while the whole system and water pump started up already (even the HDD starts spinning directly wired to the motherboard--power and all--before I press the power button).

I OVERLOOKED ONE THING SINCE DAY ONE.
So I get an IC board at RadioShack as well today and even a new soldering iron tip...very happy. Wire it up perfectly and to my extreme confusion it didn't work (with a 100k resistor)...I checked AT LEAST seven times, perfect wiring because I kept going over it (because I ended up wiring my HDD cables backwards after thinking I checked them enough times).

The huge problem.
Though +5V to the 5VSB on the Xbox worked without a transistor or necessary signal, when using a standby function (as said on around page 3):
Wire the red Xbox 5VSB wire to the purple 5VSB wire (pin #9) on the ATX power supply.

Very critical, otherwise (like briefly said without emphasis) IT WILL NOT WORK, don't bother thinking or buying other various ohms of resistors.
I couldn't believe it when I rewired the purple instead of red off of the ATX and just felt like such a goon. From the first day I worked on this project I cut off and tied that wire away thinking nothing of it. rolleyes.gif

This deserves a first post edit (maybe a repost with permission?) to be more clear. I was pissed and then realized my stupid mistake after reading all 5 pages of input.
Thanks for all of the useful & smart info! Couldn't do it without the community! biggrin.gif
-m
PS: My powersupply is a new quiet design, $39, 30A 12V rail, and 20A 5V...spent hours and found the best deal.

Pictures of my work:
Diagram:
IPB Image

Rear view of IC board:
IPB Image

Installed:
IPB Image

Close-up of installation:
IPB Image

#73 hyper999

hyper999

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

hi
im just starting my first major xbox project and i thought id use a pc psu instead of buying one and i have everything wired up except the transistor for now. but when i ground the green wire then press the 360 power button the psu shuts off and i get 3 red lights. ive tried rewireing it and checking for shorts but cant find anything so im now really confused aswell!
oh yeah and ive borrowed a official psu and when i try that the console works fine again

#74 ar1424

ar1424

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(m.player @ Jun 9 2009, 02:55 AM) View Post

Hey everybody, a little bit of a bump here, but I did the transistor method myself with the exact-right model numbers from RadioShack.

Before I just direct-soldered pin 14 to pin 15 to keep it grounded and sent a red regular +5V to the red on the Xbox. That way I flip the switch on the powersupply and then hit the Xbox power button while the whole system and water pump started up already (even the HDD starts spinning directly wired to the motherboard--power and all--before I press the power button).

I OVERLOOKED ONE THING SINCE DAY ONE.
So I get an IC board at RadioShack as well today and even a new soldering iron tip...very happy. Wire it up perfectly and to my extreme confusion it didn't work (with a 100k resistor)...I checked AT LEAST seven times, perfect wiring because I kept going over it (because I ended up wiring my HDD cables backwards after thinking I checked them enough times).

The huge problem.
Though +5V to the 5VSB on the Xbox worked without a transistor or necessary signal, when using a standby function (as said on around page 3):
Wire the red Xbox 5VSB wire to the purple 5VSB wire (pin #9) on the ATX power supply.

Very critical, otherwise (like briefly said without emphasis) IT WILL NOT WORK, don't bother thinking or buying other various ohms of resistors.
I couldn't believe it when I rewired the purple instead of red off of the ATX and just felt like such a goon. From the first day I worked on this project I cut off and tied that wire away thinking nothing of it. rolleyes.gif

This deserves a first post edit (maybe a repost with permission?) to be more clear. I was pissed and then realized my stupid mistake after reading all 5 pages of input.
Thanks for all of the useful & smart info! Couldn't do it without the community! biggrin.gif
-m
PS: My powersupply is a new quiet design, $39, 30A 12V rail, and 20A 5V...spent hours and found the best deal.
Pictures of my work:
Diagram:
IPB Image
Rear view of IC board:
IPB Image
Installed:
IPB Image
Close-up of installation:
IPB Image

I followed this one and it works great...at first I get a RROD or sometimes it shutdowm I knew the PSU is not powerfull enough even its rated 12vdc 18a. I replace the ATX PSU to dual rail 12vdc 18a and works great.

Now I'm working on a new project I need everyones input here:
1) I found a schem diagram in the internet for Thermal Fan Control Switch...I've built it and its work.
2) What I want to do is when you shutdown the xbox I wan't the Fan still running until it cools the xbox that is why I built this Thermal Fan Switch control when it reach certain temp it shutoff the power. Because I saw it you tube heat test between Xenon and Jasper after the the shutdown the Xenon mobo temp still climbing approx 5-15c.
3) I was thinking about using relays using the +5vsb power from the ATX PSU or even the xbox PSU to power the fan.
4) I'm not sure which relay I need to use I was planing to use the car relays and wire them up.

Any inputs are appreciated...Thanks

#75 rilski

rilski

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

great detailed guide here. i was wondering if i could do this mod with just wiring up the wires on an ATX psu with enough 12v rating to a 360 power cable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users