• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Is this correct?

IPB Image

Did I correctly label the +5VSB and PS_ON# contact points on the back of the 360 Console, or should I swap them?

One of the Ground Pins on the back of the 360 console is labeled with a question mark.
Which ground wire Number, on the above pictured PC Power Supply Connector, should I wire it to?

Are the three wires that stick outta that Transistor labeled in some way?
If so, how are they labeled, and how does each label correspond to those 3 things that you all call "Base, Emitter and Collector"?

Does it matter witch way you send electricity through the Resistor?
I mean, do you have to have the lead that comes out next to the Red Line connected to the Transistor,
and have the lead that comes out next to the Gold Line connected to the XBOX 360 Console?

Edited by Annabelle, 07 February 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#77 kang_fat

kang_fat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(Annabelle @ Feb 7 2011, 05:01 AM) View Post

Is this correct?

IPB Image

Did I correctly label the +5VSB and PS_ON# contact points on the back of the 360 Console, or should I swap them?

One of the Ground Pins on the back of the 360 console is labeled with a question mark.
Which ground wire Number, on the above pictured PC Power Supply Connector, should I wire it to?

Are the three wires that stick outta that Transistor labeled in some way?
If so, how are they labeled, and how does each label correspond to those 3 things that you all call "Base, Emitter and Collector"?

Does it matter witch way you send electricity through the Resistor?
I mean, do you have to have the lead that comes out next to the Red Line connected to the Transistor,
and have the lead that comes out next to the Gold Line connected to the XBOX 360 Console?

First, that is one of the best diagrams I have seen for this. It actually really helped me when I soldered up my power supply.

Your diagram is correct in all of the wiring. I'm not very good at explaining how the transistor should be wired but there is a picture on the first page that should help. Just make sure that the flat side of the transistor is facing you. The resistor's direction doesn't matter, it should just work. The question marked cable is just another ground cable so you should be able to wire it up to any other ground on your power supply.

#78 Annabelle

Annabelle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:05 AM

Cool, thanks. wink.gif

I updated the Image/Diagram with your help.
I added a note about the flat side facing you above the Transistor,
and I relabeled the bottom left Xbox 360 Console's Power Pin.
You can see the updated image in the post above, if ya reload the page.

I'm gonna head down to Radio Shack tomorrow and buy the Transistor and Resistor.

Edited by Annabelle, 10 February 2011 - 03:08 AM.

#79 Annabelle

Annabelle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

Ok, so I sort of drove near a black hole on my way to Radio Shack, and suffered from some time dilation effects...

But anyway...

I cut the cord off of a 360 power supply, and wired it up using the Picture above, and... Success!

The 360 does indeed turn on and off the PC PSU when you turn on and off the 360 Console.
Also, you can still use the Wireless 360 Gamepad to turn the 360 on and off.
It's pretty sweet. love.gif

Many thanks to the originator of this thread, as well as to all of the contributors. cool.gif

Now that I have the wiring diagram figured out, and have confirmed the magical deliciousness of the recommended Transistor and Resistor from Radio Shack, all that remains is to find out what the model numbers are for the SMD equivalents for the Transistor and Resistor.

I'm gonna have some PCBs made for that custom case I'm designing (an internal PC PSU to XBox 360 Power Adapter), and want to make sure that I find the right parts.

I think that I found the part number for a SMD version of the NPN Transistor:
MMBT4401
Is that the right one?

As for the resistor, I'm having trouble finding a SMD version of it.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. happy.gif

#80 masterofpuppets

masterofpuppets

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

Heres another diagram showing how to wire up a transistor
IPB Image

Edited by masterofpuppets, 26 February 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#81 SeaQuake

SeaQuake

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

Old but still a very valid topic. 100k resistor didn't work for me. I tried a spare 10k that I had and that worked well. The 100k didn't even activate the transistor and caused error code 0001.

#82 heddarn

heddarn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

The polarity on the transistors may vary depending on what type you are using.
I just started with this mod a few hours ago and im allmost done.
I removed every outgoing cable from the psu to get rid of all unused cables and added a relay to controll my waterpump.
When its done im gonna put everything in a PC-case.
Tnx for a great tut!

#83 rilski

rilski

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

Bumping this thread..

I did this mod with just soldering the 12v and GND connections from the 360 board to an ATX PSU with a 14A 12v rating.

From the ATX PSU, I shorted green wire to GND. Then turned on the 360 and I instantly smelled smoke.

I checked for any shorts on the soldering job. None whatsoever. Do I really need to solder the 5v standy and power enable?

#84 SeaQuake

SeaQuake

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE(rilski @ May 5 2012, 02:20 PM) View Post

Bumping this thread..

I did this mod with just soldering the 12v and GND connections from the 360 board to an ATX PSU with a 14A 12v rating.

From the ATX PSU, I shorted green wire to GND. Then turned on the 360 and I instantly smelled smoke.

I checked for any shorts on the soldering job. None whatsoever. Do I really need to solder the 5v standy and power enable?

Why ignore what was done then ask questions about what you messed up on? Even if you chose to ground out the green wire why skip the 5v?

I have no clue if that is what caused your issues I only know that the 100k is a bit too much and 10k is what I've been using all this time.

#85 rilski

rilski

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Wow dude it's was my own fault I didn't solder the 5v connection. Calm down.

#86 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

Anyone tried this power-on enable using a xbox 360 slim and an atx power supply and did it work?

If so can you let me know what parts you used (resistor and transistor) and maybe a diagram.

#87 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

I found two 2N4401 Transistors on ebay here and here. The only difference is one is 500mA and the other is 600mA.

Will both of these work and which one should I buy?

#88 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

I found another 2N4401 Transistors on ebay here now this one states that is 350mW same as the radio shack one so is this one better than the other two?

Edited by finalman, 01 September 2012 - 04:54 AM.

#89 finalman

finalman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Just went ahead and bought the lot from the post before this one.

Below is a modified pic of originally of Annabelle's for the FAT but modified to show the slim.

IPB Image

#90 w00tnezz

w00tnezz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I am bumping this for finalman's question and/or to ask him directly if he's done this yet.

Anyone?

Wondering about the Slim diagram, if it'll work. Resistor shouldn't be a problem, nor the transistor -- Would those just be the same people have been using on the phats? Resistors might need some experimenting.

Also, is the Slim board as pictured wired correctly? Willing to try this myself and post results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users