#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:48 PM

Microsoft Countersues Lucent Over Xbox 360-- Posted by XanTium on May 16 18:48 EST
From betanews.com:

Microsoft struck back at Lucent late Monday, filing a countersuit in an attempt to have the company's patent infringement lawsuit dismissed. Additionally, it accused Lucent of violating several Microsoft patents.

Lucent claims video decoding technology within the Xbox 360 infringes on its patents. It said Microsoft had failed to license the next generation system, and filed suit in April.

In the countersuit, Microsoft claims that two patents from Lucent are not valid, as well as accusing the communications equipment company of infringing on the Redmond company's own patents. A spokesperson for Microsoft expressed disappointment that Lucent had chosen litigation over negotiations.

Read More: betanews.com

#2 360

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:59 PM

interesting

#3 Mikeizzle

Mikeizzle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

huh? huh.gif Who cares, Miicrosoft certianly has enough money to pay the guy off if they loose. But i dont quite get what patents there sueing eachother for.

#4 Joergen

Joergen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:07 PM

Good, I hope MS buries them, then digs them up and buys all their patents for pennies.

edit: yep its corporate trash-can digging at its best.

Edited by Joergen, 16 May 2006 - 11:14 PM.

#5 ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:07 PM

This is why big companies keep so many patents... when they get sued, they can easily counter-sue. This is exactly what Intel does. They also have engineers reverse engineer competitor products to see if there are any infringements in case they want to sue or in case they need to counter-sue.

#6 pepe2004

pepe2004

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:20 PM

Man, the day of tomorrow I will be careful when drinking a cola, there is the chance than the way I drink it is patented and I could get sued.

Everybody sued everyone today, that sucks.

#7 lilbplaya3406

lilbplaya3406

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(pepe2004 @ May 16 2006, 05:27 PM) View Post

Man, the day of tomorrow I will be careful when drinking a cola, there is the chance than the way I drink it is patented and I could get sued.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#8 kowrip

kowrip

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:LOTS OF STUFF !
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:07 AM

Agreed. There are WAY too many silly patents out there. I browsed through a bunch of them once and was shocked at the types of things that can be patented. It just leads to crap like this. I like the one patent (I think it might be Creative Labs who owns it) on the way to "search for music using MP3 ID tags". Yeah, that's really original. Nobody would EVER think of searching on a field like "song name" or "artist". That's a totally novel idea !

Edited by kowrip, 17 May 2006 - 01:09 AM.

#9 Mikeizzle

Mikeizzle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:52 AM

I patented sueing people for breaking patent laws tongue.gif biggrin.gif .

#10 PlumeNoir

PlumeNoir

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:56 AM

Patents are a real tricky thing.

I'm working on a patent proposal for work and the main thing the lawyers tell you is to make it as broad as possible without being too vague. (That way, another company can't look at your patent and figure a way to use a similar design for something else.)

One of the examples they gave was a guy who wondered why the auto industry doesn't have sensors on top of cars to make sure no one drives away with a baby or soda on the roof of their car. He made a patent proposal, and the lawyer suggested broadening the proposal to cover not just the roof, but the sides of the car as wel...so now, IBM has a patent on that. A lot of patents fall under "Let's patent this, so if someone else tries to make something similar, we can profit."

Honestly, it can be kinda fun to browse through patents and see some of the goofy ones...

#11 sick_mate_xbox

sick_mate_xbox

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:-Skateboarding<br />-My VT Commodore<br />-Xbox Modding<br />-Rachael :)<br />-Snakes
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:55 AM

yeah, i have done that before. its amazing what people patent. i hope Lucent wins over MS, the laws the law. if MS infriged their patent, then they have to pay. none of this counter sue crap.

#12 3rdnfnlbst

3rdnfnlbst

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Cars, games, computers, Fire dept.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:37 PM

i think i am going to patent touching myself, so i can sue all of you.
I accept paypal. jester.gif

#13 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:40 PM

This is awsome, lmao. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#14 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(kowrip @ May 16 2006, 06:14 PM) View Post

Agreed. There are WAY too many silly patents out there. I browsed through a bunch of them once and was shocked at the types of things that can be patented. It just leads to crap like this. I like the one patent (I think it might be Creative Labs who owns it) on the way to "search for music using MP3 ID tags". Yeah, that's really original. Nobody would EVER think of searching on a field like "song name" or "artist". That's a totally novel idea !

Its slightly more in depth than that, they made the programming technology on mp3 players that can read metafiles (ID3 v1 and v2) tags and organize based on that. Instead of going by folders. Its still pretty basic but not when they got the patent for it.

#15 Phor

Phor

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(ZildjianKX @ May 16 2006, 11:14 PM) View Post

This is why big companies keep so many patents... when they get sued, they can easily counter-sue. This is exactly what Intel does. They also have engineers reverse engineer competitor products to see if there are any infringements in case they want to sue or in case they need to counter-sue.

Indeed. These large patent portfolios do there jobs well, too. Part of the reason the desktop market doesn't have a patent war going on, is because *Everyone* would loose. MS, Apple, and OIN (*nix) all have huge patent portfolios. Should they start going at it, they would probably destory themselfs, and take a large portion of the US patent system with it. There are alot of paralles with the Cold War. No body wants a patent war, but all the big players are in a sort of arms race to aquire more patents.

The best way to stay afloat? Get patents. The easiest way to get patents? Wipe out a small company. Best way to do that? Use your patents. It's a crazy legal system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users