• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jaysiff

jaysiff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:42 AM

alright i got xdsl on my box as soon as i heard it was possible to get windows on my box. I followed 3 tutorials trying to figure out how to get starcraft on my xbox. I tried putting windows 98 on there, couldnt do that, i tried using wine, where i could install starcraft, but couldnt play it. i even got a no cd program for starcraft, and that wont even work. I just wanna play startcraft/ get windows 98 on my xbox. can someone help a n00b in need my aim is Jaybloodsect

#2 drumstyx

drumstyx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:50 AM

because windows 98 needs dos underneath it....i dont think wine would work for this....you'd probably be better off with a virtual machine using vmware or something...from there you'd do a full install of dos and then windows from there...and for that...xdsl....if its running from a live cd...would not be good, however if you installed it, it'll be fine, dont ask where to get vmware....u'll get in trouble as its a commercial program...once you have it things should be easy
have fun
drumstyx

#3 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:43 AM

The most likely way to run it would be to run Win98 under QEMU on xDSL. You said you tried this but couldn't - what did you do, what happened, what went wrong? If you explain, maybe we can make it work for you.

There's no need to mess with VMWare or other commercial software - QEMU can run Win98 just fine, and does so for many people here, and VMWare is fiddlier to install (needs a kernel module). I tested, just to be sure, and I can fire up Starcraft on my QEMU, game works fine.

#4 Shootinmyangel27

Shootinmyangel27

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

Can someone please help me play Warcraft on X-DSL. I have no clue what to do and if someone could give me a tourtirial r help me out thanks

#5 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

If you do run Win98 on a standard XBox (modded of course, and with a larger hard disc, but with the normal memory and CPU) under QEMU and whatever else (I know nothing of Linux), then what sort of performance are we talking about? Do things like Duke Nukem 3D, Aliens vs. Predator and Half-Life work at full speed?

#6 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

No hardware 3D acceleration is available when running under QEMU, so Half-Life will not work well smile.gif

I've not tried many games, but the general system performance is quite sluggish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users