Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

SS.bin Confusion-- Posted by XanTium on May 20 12:47 EST
From team-xecuter.com:

It seems many people are having issues when they are trying to boot their games with SS (Security Sector) files that they have downloaded.

I think we may have spotted the problem. let's take an example - Call of Duty 2.
We checked every single version of the ss.bin for COD2 NTSC/U and each and every one has the same MD5 884E8BA44329D133973289A0CD8C8374. However when checking the PAL version we found 3 different versions (so far !)
DF77CCA54F575225DF6C07DF459A8652, 510A6C63D95CB26B072D5C214D207DC8 and 2F66E72B3E3A2895AB883628749C778B

So our guess is that their are different versions of game for PAL countries (Probably UK, Euro/Multi language & Australia).
This would definatley explain why many PAL users are having issues. Someone needs to start a database of which ss goes with which iso - best to have MD5's of both so it helps people from tearing their hair out and wasting money on expensive dual layer discs.

#2 Bassie Von Adriaan

Bassie Von Adriaan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

A database would indeed be nice

#3 verboten

verboten

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:03 PM

What is the position on the SS files. Are they illegeal to post? The only place I have seen them so far are the usenet and there are still a few (NTSC) that I can't fine.

#4 isoheppi

isoheppi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(verboten @ May 20 2006, 08:10 PM) View Post

What is the position on the SS files. Are they illegeal to post? The only place I have seen them so far are the usenet and there are still a few (NTSC) that I can't fine.

what and where is usenet ?

#5 verboten

verboten

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(isoheppi @ May 20 2006, 06:16 PM) View Post

what and where is usenet ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

#6 memturbo

memturbo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:23 PM

Yes I was thinking the same .
What we need is the name of the game, the team that released it, the appropriate ss.bin ,and the correct
program to add the ss.bin .

Then we need the list seperate for each team release and region.

Example:
USA :RADIAN
ISO:Call_of_Duty_2_USA_XBOX360-RADIAN

SS.BIN /File name of downloaded SS.BIN: myssbin.zip

PROGRAM TO COMBINE SS.BIN : ss.bincombiner.exe

#7 KILLplaystation

KILLplaystation

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

Do different NTSC countries have different SS? Such as US and Canada? Dont think so, but wanted to make sure

#8 Joergen

Joergen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

Yes one coaster due to UNSPECIFIED PAL SS file is enough for me. From now on I will only apply an SS that has been confirmed to be from a specific country or sub-region within the PAL region of Europe.

#9 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:31 PM

Security Sectors are tied to the XBE/XEX they plan to boot. Therefore, PAL users will encounter many numerous versions of the SS's. NTSC may even have a few depending upon if updates for that game have been released and were in-cluded in later presses of the game. Best bet is to rip your own SS's or simply not download them from archives unless your getting the game image with it. wink.gif

#10 Joergen

Joergen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

But, if there WERE a well-organised SS archive available, we could use wxripper to backup the disc while keeping the 360 closed and shut in the livingroom where it is supposed to be.

Please do not automatically assume we are talking about something else. And soon enough the OTHER people will not even be asking for SS' because they will be pre-in-cluded in the the stuff they so want, but I will still be here looking for the easier way to backup my games.

#11 FreshOuttaMaps

FreshOuttaMaps

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(Angerwound @ May 20 2006, 02:38 PM) View Post

Security Sectors are tied to the XBE/XEX they plan to boot. Therefore, PAL users will encounter many numerous versions of the SS's. NTSC may even have a few depending upon if updates for that game have been released and were in-cluded in later presses of the game. Best bet is to rip your own SS's or simply not download them from archives unless your getting the game image with it. wink.gif

Good point. Hasn't there been a re-release of Oblivion already, to change the encoded ESRB rating to Mature? I don't know if there has been any others so far at least for North America. I think there was a wrestling game for NSTC-J that was re-released in the first few days of the Japanese launch because it was corrupting hard drives or something.

#12 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

so if you can extract your own legit SS from the game you rip, why is there a discussion on acquiring different ones from the internet?

is getting the SS difficult? or is this just a thread to help people pirate? im confused.

QUOTE(Joergen @ May 20 2006, 03:00 PM) View Post

But, if there WERE a well-organised SS archive available, we could use wxripper to backup the disc while keeping the 360 closed and shut in the livingroom where it is supposed to be.

im kinda newb on ripping 360 games, but am i to assume we need to have th actual 360 DVD drive connected to the computer to get the SS?

#13 FreshOuttaMaps

FreshOuttaMaps

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ May 20 2006, 05:10 PM) View Post
is getting the SS difficult? or is this just a thread to help people pirate? im confused.

You have to reflash your 360 drive to the xtrm0800 firmware in order to be able to rip the security sector. If you're using the wxripper method to rip games (or downloading scene releases), then obtaining a ss file from the net can keep you from having to take apart your 360 again.

Edited by FreshOuttaMaps, 20 May 2006 - 11:15 PM.

#14 majik655

majik655

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ May 20 2006, 03:10 PM) View Post

so if you can extract your own legit SS from the game you rip, why is there a discussion on acquiring different ones from the internet?

im kinda newb on ripping 360 games, but am i to assume we need to have th actual 360 DVD drive connected to the computer to get the SS?

yes currently the only way to get the ss is to flash with xtreme0800.bin AND then use dvdinfopro to get ss.
Would be ALOT ALOT easier to be able to download them which I do not see why it would be illegal to do so.
Unless another way comes along.

Edited by majik655, 20 May 2006 - 11:15 PM.

#15 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:10 AM

ah, i see then how useful a database of these security sectors could be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users