Photo

Regarding The 360 Sata Adapter.., Is It Hot-pluggable Or Not?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xeriak

Xeriak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

I bought this S-ATA adapter for the 360 a while back.. that PCB thingy where you supply power from your PC via 5-pin molex connector and S-ATA from your PC's mobo with a cable. I got it all working, but I find it a pain in the ass to keep turning my computer on and off just to connect/disconnect my 360 HDD everytime I wanna use Xplorer 360.

Just curious, but I can't touch and plug in that PCB into my 360 HDD while the PC is on, right?? Cause of constant power flowing into the PCB?? And if I did that, it'd fry my 360 HDD and cause a short most likely.. correct??

Or am I just too paranoid and you can infact hot-plug this pcb in and out of the 360 HDD on the fly with PC on??

#2 DaddyO21

DaddyO21

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:57 PM

Dont know , try it then tell us.

#3 Xeriak

Xeriak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:04 AM

If you don't know, then why are you bothering to reply?? Raising your post count?.. geez..
Like hell I'll "try it" and then tell about it.. ROFL...

#4 Ozy

Ozy

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:Gamming,<br />Women,<br />Films,<br />Fine Food,<br />Drinking With My Mates<br /> - Not In That Order.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(Xeriak @ May 21 2006, 12:11 AM) View Post

If you don't know, then why are you bothering to reply?? Raising your post count?.. geez..
Like hell I'll "try it" and then tell about it.. ROFL...

Don't try it mate. It's not worth testing. Just take this as a NO.

#5 Xeriak

Xeriak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:09 PM

Well, I tried it... but the problem with plugging the drive in and out while Windows XP is running, is that my S-ATA IDE bus doesn't pickup the drive as present. So a reboot is warranted everytime.. Or hibernating my PC and then resuming from hibernation.

angerwound from 360gamesaves said he plugs his drive in and out all the time while PC is running. I don't know what he does different from me tho. Maybe his S-ATA chipset on the mobo is 0wnage or somethin.. =/

Is there some way i can rescan or refresh the IDE bus so that it picks up the 360 drive as available when I want to use it with Xplorer 360?? I tried rescanning for hardware changes on the bus channels themselves under "Device Manager" but that doesn't do jack for what I know..

EDIT: Well well.. tried it again this time, and now the darn thing works!! lol.. So I can plug in the drive all i want and unplug it without the headache of rebooting my PC or shutting it down.. happy.gif

One more question tho.. Can i attach and dettach the HDD from the 360 while its running?? I kinda hate to turn the 360 on/off constantly when neccessary.. I know the manual says otherwise about having to turn fthe 360 off before attaching or dettaching the HDD.. But I just thought I'd ask here.

Edited by Xeriak, 21 May 2006 - 08:16 PM.

#6 Morlok8k

Morlok8k

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Interests:Games<br />xbox modding<br />computer fixing<br />sex (with women)<br />drinking
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(Xeriak @ May 21 2006, 12:16 PM) View Post
One more question tho.. Can i attach and dettach the HDD from the 360 while its running?? I kinda hate to turn the 360 on/off constantly when neccessary.. I know the manual says otherwise about having to turn fthe 360 off before attaching or dettaching the HDD.. But I just thought I'd ask here.

yes, but the 360 restarts itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users