#1 Shoji

Shoji

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:19 AM

I'm not sure what is causing my problems, but I have some inconsistencies when streaming videos. At times when I select a video to watch from one of my shares, the video will start up and play no problems. Other times however I will get the box that says Caching and it also has the loading bar. This bar fills at various speeds even with the same videos. After this bar, I get the AVI file detected box. Sometimes this box is quick, sometimes it takes upward of 20 seconds. Then the video plays.

Despite all of that, thats not really the problem, but I think whatever is causing my problem, is also causing the time consumption above. The problem is that after the video is playing, sometimes the video will stutter. It will play a few seconds and then stop. Play a few, then stop again. Other times after caching and loading and the "Detecting AVI Format", it plays just fine with no problems and no stuttering. Its weird. I have tried various settings but its as if XBMC just does this whenever it feels like and there is no method to the madness.

I should state that whenever the videos start right up after I select the video (which is rare by the way) I have none of these problems. But in testing this problem, I've found that if ever I got the video to start right up and be problem free, I could then restart the xbox and select the same video again and I would get the caching problem and whatnot. So I'm up for any suggestions.

It should be noted that I have turned the cache off and tried streaming that way and while I wouldnt get any cache boxes, I would still get the "Detecting AVI format" and the stuttering video.

If it means anything I'm using a Linksys BEFSR41 ver. 2 router. The reason I add that is because when I used the dual NIC setup. I never had this problem. Only when I started using the router did I run into these problems. If anyone has any idea what could be causing the problem let me know.

#2 Shoji

Shoji

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:11 AM

Bump

#3 kics

kics

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:07 AM

does the videos look choppy ? or just stop to fill the cache ? if its the second option try to change your cache settings...

also... it's wired right ?

#4 Shoji

Shoji

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

Like I've said, I've already tried the cache options. The video isnt choppy itself. It just pauses a lot.

#5 kics

kics

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:50 AM

some videos are not meant for xbmc, the Hi Def ones xbmc will start to play them but as the video keeps on going it will stop eventually, what kind of vids are you streaming ?

#6 bown

bown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

Just switched from wireless to wired for XBMC. MUCH better, but still having pausing like this.

My question is this... what is a good video cache size to use? Mine is I think the default 8 megs.
Should I double it? Will this eliminate the problem?

ps. just trying to play regular dvd rips and isos from network PC.

#7 tgm4883

tgm4883

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:35 PM

I had this exact same problem. What is your operating system and shared folder system specs? Have you defragged recently.

#8 bown

bown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

P4 3.0 ghz system. Use 2 hard drives for media, and recently defragged both. Using 108 mbps netgear router.

I tried upping the cache in xbmc for video clips and dvds from the network to 16 megs, and there was no difference. Some play OK, some skip a little, and some stutter too much to be watchable.

I'm wondering if it could be the cable. I'll have to try another to see.

Also something very strange. If I have the xbox wireless, I can flashfxp just fine and transfer files all day long without problem. If I have the xbox cabled, flashfxp will log in, and I will have about 10 seconds before the connection is lost, and can't be reconnected unless I wait for maybe 10 minutes or I reboot the xbox.

So close, but so far.....

#9 tgm4883

tgm4883

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:14 AM

Can you try a different cable.

Firewall problem would happen both wired and wireless.

computer is more than powerful enough.

I stream movies just fine over my wired connection. I have them in both xvid format as well as ripped dvd ISO's.

Wireless wouldn't seem fast enough, sure your router is 108 mbps, but you surely aren't connecting at that speed. What wireless device is connected to the xbox? How far away is your router from your xbox?

Also, are you doing anything else on the computer at the same time? For instance, are you running any folding programs?

On second thought, it could be a firewall problem. disable your firewall and see if that helps.

Edited by tgm4883, 21 June 2006 - 12:16 AM.

#10 bown

bown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:12 AM

Well, I solved one problem. My cabled ftp works fine now. For some reason I had to
go into my router config and turn on "Respond to Ping on Internet Port". This is defaulted
to off to prevent DOS attacks, but I think I'm ok with it on. (netgear router btw)

Now to work on the video stuttering prob...

#11 bown

bown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:38 AM

never mind, I spoke too soon. I still have connectivity for a bit, then is lost. Can't ftp or even ping. Hmmm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users