Photo

Saving A Bricked Samsung After Bad Flash.

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

OK, I've seen lots of posts in various topics about people with apparently dead drives.
I had exactly the same problem after my floppy decided to give up the ghost mid-flash and the drive Borked.

Various solutions were offered by the group, none of which worked, so I was left with the task of finding another drive to hotswap with (Yeah, right!) or find my own solution.

This is what I found worked for me. (Twice, as I tested again by borking it a 2nd time)

You'll need a Bootable Floppy with MTKFLASH and your firmware. (we'll call this your original.bin)
Your Borked DVD drive attached to SATA 1 on your motherboard.

Boot from Floppy and get to a Dos prompt.
Type in "MTKFLASH W /SATA /M original.bin
You should get a response from the system with a list of possible sata ports to flash to.
(For arguments sake this is SATA 1 and SATA2 in this tutorial)
Turn off the power to the DVD drive wait a second and turn it back on again.
Now hit 1 on the keyboard to start the flash. (in response to the Sata 1 port on the screen)
OK, now it will start flashing or sits waiting at "Port: d800, Master/Slave: a0"
If it is waiting for more than a few seconds hit escape twice to stop the attempt and power off the drive again and keep trying the last part again. It will work after a few attempts.

This is what I have figured out so far and why this works.

MTKFLASH is looking for a response code 70 from the drive to start flashing.
Whilst the hitachi drives have a distinct recovery mode the samsungs show a code 70 JUST after power on.
I'm assuming this is a small recovery window that we can use.

The MTKFLASH software doesn't really care what device is on the SATA bus at the beginning, as long as it can detect something. Hence is people put a hot swap drive or hard drive on the sata bus, the software says "Ahh, SATA 1 has a device on there" and gives to the option to flash that port.
Only when you press 1 on the keyboard to start flashing does it try to detect what KIND of device it is and waits for the required 70 code to start flashing.

So in summary ..
Get MTKFLASH working so it detects a device on your Sata bus (Either the DVD drive or a hard drive)
Then start the flashing procedure JUST AFTER the dvd is given power, after a couple of attempts it should catch the Code 70 and start flashing.

Hope this helps.

#2 geebee

geebee

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:24 AM

looks good...i will add this to the tutorial

#3 drummerboy1984

drummerboy1984

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:47 AM

Hi, I tried that method, but when I type in "mtkflash w orig.bin" or "mtkflash w /sata /m original.bin" and press 1, it says "Failure to open Output file"? I have the orig.bin, mtkflash.ex, and mtkflash.typ on the floppy disk! Please help!..... much appreciated....

#4 Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:19 PM

ROFL ....

mtkflash W /SATA /m orig.bin

try that, the output file is just the firmware files name , yours is called "orig.bin" and mine was called "original.bin"

You SHOULD get a reply asking what port to flash too
(Unless only 1 device is found on a port and it auto tries)
at that point turn on the DVD and hit the associated key on the keyboard.

OR if it will not detect with the drive off.
Type the command, then powercycle the drive before hitting the confirmation key.

#5 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

Nice work, if this doesn't get found by a mod soon, PM one and ask em to put it in one of the sticky FAQ's.

#6 Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

BUMP.

For those that need it or too lazy to search.

#7 mike69

mike69

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

im trying to read my fw not flash it.. i get the error code.. and never seem to get passed it..

#8 col55

col55

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:22 PM

can anybody help heres my situation

i backed up my firmware 4 times and it locked up once in 4 times so i thought i would risk writting the firmware and would you believe it it locked on the 4th bank at 80%. damn it i thought ,so i panaked and write to it again and this time it froze at 40% on the first bank.tried one more time and now just hangs.

my setup was

pci card with ali m5283 chipset (i know this has problems)
boot with hard drive plugged in and nothing else
when get to a prompt un plug hd and plug in 360 un powered.
power up 360 type the usual mtkflash w mod.bin tried all other variations of command
nowit does not reconise drive do it again and it does
choose sata 1 and it backed up and wrote
i used edited mtkflash the ali version from grims posts.

now i have tried to write again to the flash by turning on 360 at command option where you choose sata 1 or 2 . press 1 straight away and just hangs every time saying the following, left for several mins each time and nothing
hangs saying

df00,master/slave :a0

now to get to option to choose sata 1 or 2 i have to power on 360 to get to sata option 1 or 2 then switch it off for a min switch back on then hit 1 straight away but just hangs tried this 10 times now.

i have read on these forums that some people have had bad flash but was able to write to it again to recover their drive any help would be great been tring to get this sorted now for over a week.thanks in advance

Andy Hewitt can you explain a bit more how you got your drive back from the dead, i have tried what you said in your post about 50 times and no luck any help would be great.thanks

#9 Sharky

Sharky

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:49 PM

The ali m5283 chipset is as buggy as hell, however what I have noticed is the only way to get it to flash correctly is to flash the chip from cold.
switch the x360 off for a few hours allowing every in the xbox to go cold, even unplug the power supply from the wall

when you ready to try flashing it again after the few hours are up boot up to the command prompt on the pc type in the command MTKFLASH W /SATA /M mod.bin
only at this point switch on the x360

count to 3 then press enter on the pc keyboard
hopefully it should flash the firmware

if it doesnt switch of the 360 and give it a couple of minutes and try again

the emphasis is on keeping the 360 as cool as possible so that the ali chipset doesnt lock up while flashing

good luck

#10 col55

col55

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

hey sharky thanks for the reply but tried everything and no luck all ready flashed it once but stopped halfway trying to reflash it but it always hangs and says df00,master/slave:a0

#11 rtmcqueen

rtmcqueen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

Thaks alot, you insturctions was on the money. dead drive is alive and kickin with the new firmware. I use the connectivity kit from team xecuter. I used the 360 20gig hard drive as the sata drive unplugged it and just plug in the dvd drive and BANG drive had a heart beat. thank alot you saved my $600 investment.

#12 col55

col55

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:20 PM

rtmcqueen

Thaks alot, you insturctions was on the money. dead drive is alive and kickin with the new firmware. I use the connectivity kit from team xecuter. I used the 360 20gig hard drive as the sata drive unplugged it and just plug in the dvd drive and BANG drive had a heart beat. thank alot you saved my $600 investment.

can you tell us what you did to kill your drive did it hang why you flashed or is it a key thing.what pci or mother board you used.thanks

#13 rtmcqueen

rtmcqueen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:51 AM

i have an asus board 800d, during flashing the drive the a drive diskett failed, cd drive would not come on no power (dead). so I read the post and tried a new method as stated a Bang. the drive works perfect.

#14 col55

col55

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

thanks for the reply will have to try mine again when i get a diff pci sata card one more compatable and hope that works fingers crossed, i dont want a 300 paper weight.

#15 Goku60559

Goku60559

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

any way to save a bricked hitachi drive!!!!...my damn system turned off in the middle of flashing the new firmware when the lights went out...wat luck...now the drive doesn't even eject...helpppppp thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users