• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrchu

mrchu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:38 PM

I extracted 2 SS's, one from my own copy of PGR and one from someone else's copy of PGR in order to compare the files. Having run a comparison on HexCmp it was clear the 2 resulting files were different in certain sectors. So on that basis is my first question, are SS's unique to each invidual disc? If so, would it be logical to assume if you are running your own backup using your own SS then the game should be safe (on a disc level, not on a firmware level - we don't know what MS will do about that yet) to play on live as the SS won't have been blacklisted?

#2 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

Okay lets take a step back here....

Security sectors are unique for each region. A PAL Germany disk will have a different SS than a PAL Italian disk.

Security Sectors have nothing to do with being blacklisted.

MS can detect several things if they want..

A) That your firmware is not original.
cool.gif That your disc is not original (Security Sectors have been relocated)
c) Future game disks can require a update or check.

They can detect these things when you are off of Live, set a flag, and ban you even if you reverse everything. (Possible but speculation at this point)

If you want to have no risk in getting banned from live do not use the hacks, period.

#3 cliffi

cliffi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:20 PM

Sorry for the maybe stupid Question, i just dumped SS.BIN of my 2 games and noticed that it differs to the ones found on the net.

Not just the single Byte, its almost a whole block from $5DF to $659, in both games..

Any Idea, what i did wrong?

#4 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:18 AM

SS on the net are unreliable... I would trust the one you did yourself if you followed the tuts.

The difference could be that the SS are from different regions.

#5 cliffi

cliffi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:47 AM

Its RR Pal, ok there might be other Regions, but Condemned NTSC should be unique?

and both differ at the same Hex Block, so i wondered if i put in a wrong command, but already
checked that twice..

#6 mbazos

mbazos

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:02 PM

I would not play on live with a burned disc, but I would consider playing on live with hacked firmware. I say this for the following reasons. First if MS makes a check on the disc they will know you are playing with a copied game. This will definetly get you banned from Live. Chances are MS will not check for firmware yet because they can check the disc. They don't care if you have hacked firmware but an original disc in because they know that you paid for it somehow. Another thing to note is even though no one has been banned yet I would not play on Live because MS could already be checking for the discs/firmware and making a tally of systems. In one clean slap when they do start banning for this they could possibly knock a lot of people off Live. Personally I would wait till you hear the first people getting banned from Live too discover exactly what MS is checking for. Hopefully Team Xecuter makes the dual firmware mod, flashing the firmware everytime you want to play online is a pain in the *ss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users