blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 May 2006 - 04:57 AM

Well, as my xbox sat dvd drive-less, I got a little bored. And well, temps of my xbox popped in my mind, and I decided to replace the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu of the xbox. And not only that, but write a lil' tut as well biggrin.gif . So, I give you the tutorial on how to remove your gpu/cpu heatsinks and replace the thermal paste on them. And beleive me, the results show (read rest of post for results at the end). BTW, I havent seen a tut like this before, so thats pretty much why I went ahead and did it. sorry for crappy pics.

Lets start out with what you need:
-an xbox (I used a 1.0 version, but the 1.2 and up are almos identical, only with differnet gpu heatsinks)
-some thermal paste. I used some AS3, but AS5 would be better.
-some rubbing alchohol
-a rag/paper towel
-flathead screwdriver
-about 1-2 square feet of suran-wrap
-about 15-20 minutes of your time

optionals:
-dremel with wire brush attatchment (replaces paper towel, and beleive me, it saves a hell of a lot of rubbing)

Ok, now to start off, most everyone knows what a 1.0 xbox looks like, so I dont think I need to post what it looks like. We'll start out with removing the cpu heatsink. Take a look at the end of the clip nearest the controller ports. Notice how they little level is clamped down? just stick the flat-head screwdriver in there and twist. It shold pop up nice and easy.
IPB Image

Now, just lift it up all the way and kinda wiggle the bracket off the socket. After that, just pull off the heatsink.
IPB Image

Now to remove the gpu heatsink. Its pretty much the same way as removin the cpu, except you wedge the screw driver in between the plastic and the metal clamp thing nearest the controller ports.
IPB Image

With the screwdriver wedged in, push down on the metal and twist the screw driver. The clamp should be off on one side. Now just pull of the other side. After that just twist the heatsink itelf back and forth untill you can pull it off. the gpu should look like this, only with a lot more goey crap on it:
IPB Image
IPB Image

Now, take either your rubbing alchohol and rag and apply some rubbing alchohol to the rag and start scrubbing those heatsinks. OR, if you have a dremel, use the wire-brush bit and you'll have that thermal paste off in under a minute. Repeat for both heatsinks.
IPB Image
will =
IPB Image
and
IPB Image

So, now onto the cpu/gpu. The cpu I left alone, but the gpu definately needs some cleaning. For this part ONLY ONLY ONLY use that rubbing alchohol and rag or a very sharp razor blade to get rid of the thermal paste. I couldnt get all of mine off, so its ok of you dont get everything off completely. You so want to get as much off as possible though. After this, take your new thermal compound and apply a TINY drop in the middle of the gpu. Take the suran wrap, place your finger in the suran wrap, and spread the paste evenly over the gpu. Try not to get it over any components near the gpu. Yours should look something like this:
IPB Image

Now, do the exact same for the gpu/cpu heatsinks, except only spread the paste over the small square where the gpu or cpu will be. Yours should look pretty much like this:
IPB Image

Now, pop those suckers back on and watch your temps drop! And I mean DROP. After doing this, I was a 10C drop in temps from roughly 55C on both gpu and cpu to 40-45C on gpu/cpu. And no I didnt add any fans or anything, just the thermal paste. I cant imagine what temps will be like when I put the top of my case on tongue.gif Anyways, this is pretty much another method to drop your temps without adding another noisy fan to your xbox.

coments and even more results are GLADY accepted
Hopefully this helps those w/ slimmods keep those temps down pop.gif

Thanx for reading my tut everyone!

#2 FreakSho

FreakSho

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:11 AM

good tut man well done....im about to modd a v 1.0 so this helps me biggrin.gif

#3 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:12 AM

awesome awesome awesome tut!

keep up the good work!

#4 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

thanx guys wub.gif Expect to see your temps drop a good amount there freaksho, and dont foget to use the good stuff like AS5 instead of AS3 like I did. Hopefully everythin works out for ya.

#5 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

It's good to see these little worklogs as they help more people than we know.

Nice one pop.gif

#6 PC509

PC509

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Firefighting, XBox modding, any electronic modding, fishing, hunting, camping, driving...
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

Not to diss your technique or tutorial, but...

Your heatsink lapping technique isn't very effective. You can scrape it off with a razor blade and sand it with a fine grit sand paper (~1000-~1500 grit). you want it to be as flat as possible (almost a mirror finish!), the thermal paste is meant to transfer the heat and fill in the micro grooves. It's not as effective as the aluminum or copper heatsink, though. If spread too thick, it becomes very ineffective. You want just a small layer on there.

Hope this helps, it should give a better temperature. In the PC world, we use a piece of glass and 1500-2000 grit sandpaper to get it as flat as the glass and a mirror finish. smile.gif

Here's a small guide: http://www.bigbruin....ndex.php?file=1

Otherwise, a great tutorial and a great way to drop your CPU and GPU temperatures!

#7 stevewal

stevewal

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:conservastion, rock climbing, modding and gaming, gardening.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

good idea,
definately going to do this for my next mod.

#8 No.1 G

No.1 G

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(PC509 @ May 27 2006, 06:08 PM) View Post

Not to diss your technique or tutorial, but...

Your heatsink lapping technique isn't very effective. You can scrape it off with a razor blade and sand it with a fine grit sand paper (~1000-~1500 grit). you want it to be as flat as possible (almost a mirror finish!), the thermal paste is meant to transfer the heat and fill in the micro grooves. It's not as effective as the aluminum or copper heatsink, though. If spread too thick, it becomes very ineffective. You want just a small layer on there.

Hope this helps, it should give a better temperature. In the PC world, we use a piece of glass and 1500-2000 grit sandpaper to get it as flat as the glass and a mirror finish. smile.gif

Here's a small guide: http://www.bigbruin....ndex.php?file=1

Otherwise, a great tutorial and a great way to drop your CPU and GPU temperatures!

I agree with him, I really dont recommend using a wire brush to 'clean'.

#9 audi-hibby

audi-hibby

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:49 PM

i also agree with PC509 and No1.G, the bottom of that heatsink looks really rough when what you really want is as smooth as you can get it. ditch the dremel and dig out the elbow grease for this job.

good tutorial otherwise though

#10 Hashmire420

Hashmire420

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:54 AM

One question, does the v1.0 or the newer gpu heatsinks work better (fan vs no fan) cause ive got a 1.1 and a broken 1.0, but i dont want to pull the heatsink off my graphics card to test. I used the 1.0s on my pc graphics card for now

#11 PC509

PC509

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Firefighting, XBox modding, any electronic modding, fishing, hunting, camping, driving...

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(Hashmire420 @ May 27 2006, 05:01 PM) View Post

One question, does the v1.0 or the newer gpu heatsinks work better (fan vs no fan) cause ive got a 1.1 and a broken 1.0, but i dont want to pull the heatsink off my graphics card to test. I used the 1.0s on my pc graphics card for now

I've wondered the same thing. I think the later revisions use a more efficient GPU (smaller process) to lower the heat generated. But, lower temperatures can be had by adding a fan. I'm not sure of the changes in the actual heatsink, though.

Personally, I think that the active cooling would be better, but not sure by how much.

#12 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

I'm sure the GPU never changed, MS just discovered that they didn't really need that noisy bastard fan on there if they used a bigger heatsink.

#13 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

exactly, they ditched the noisy fan for a much bigger heatsink.

#14 fierygt

fierygt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:20 AM

http://www.xbox-scen...al-compound.php

Don't feel bad...your only a few years late. smile.gif

#15 Staple

Staple

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE(FreakSho @ May 27 2006, 12:18 AM) View Post

good tut man well done....im about to modd a v 1.0 so this helps me biggrin.gif

i wouldnt bother with this xbox's dont over heat what is the point in doing this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users