6 replies to this topic

#1 gtrdude485

gtrdude485

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

Looking into modding my xbox but still have a few random ?'s. I have a pc in my living room for music/dvds already so all i need it to do is be able to play backed-up i.e. burned games. Here are my ?'s/concerns:

1. I dont intend to move my xbox around alot so I think I will be going with a solderless solution. $10 more for a no solder seems a better deal than paying extra $40 for someone to melt it on for me.

2. The xenium gold no solder looks pretty tempting but as i said before just looking for a simple solution.

3. For those chips that come with an OS such as the xenium gold, if needed is there anyway to change this OS?

4. I understand that a dashboard acts like an OS so if the chip comes with an OS is there any need to fool around or be concerned with which dash to use?

5. I would prefer to get this going ASAP so if there is no huge advantage in waiting for the xenium gold, which brand of chips should I be looking at and in what price range? I have haerd good things about the xenium's as well as the smartxx but really all i need is somethign that works.

Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

1) as long as you don't dance around with your xbox, that seems alright.

2) ok

3) the OS is on the Chip, no need to change it

4) Chip OS and Dashboards (evox, unleashx et.) are two different things

5) Xenium is fine.

#3 gtrdude485

gtrdude485

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

So what is the difference between an OS and a dashboard? If the OS is pre-loaded, do i still need a dashboard? If the OS is pre-loaded CAN i use a dash? If one or the other can be used, which is better?

Now that i know i dont need a solder chip I'm looking at
1. Spider GX,
2. Xecuter 2.6 CE w/ Xapt3r v1.6,
3. SmartXX LT OPX 2MEG S.E. with a Spider adapter, or
4. Xenium GOLD SP

IF price isnt an issue, I would obviously go cheapest but If anyone has any opinions....
I am continuing to read up on each of these chips but direct input would be appreciated.

#4 .:Dino:.

.:Dino:.

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

Ok well first, if you just want to play burned games etc then sounds like a softmod might be worth looking into, theres a great guide in my sig which is 100% free.

However if you want to hardmod then yes a solderless will be ok, but bare in mind that a soldered connection will ALWAYS be better and that some people will solder for the same price or less than that of what a solderless connection would cost.

The chips os is different to a dash, the chips os contains hardware options regarding the bios' hdd formatting eeprom etc. The dash is basically an app with shortcuts to all the cool stuff you might have on your xbox. We place this before the ms dashboard so it boots this first.

If you just want something that works, then xenium is fine, or an xecuter 2 range i would recommend also. HS Demonz has done great reviews on xenium solderless installations and they really are quite sturdy, even after dropping the xbox lol.

But if you just want to play burned games and dont want to fool around, then either softmod, or install a chip and flash the bios, you dont need a new dashboard to play burnt games, just a way to boot in a modded state (softmod or chip with hacked bios)

#5 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(gtrdude485 @ May 29 2006, 02:00 PM) View Post

So what is the difference between an OS and a dashboard? If the OS is pre-loaded, do i still need a dashboard? If the OS is pre-loaded CAN i use a dash? If one or the other can be used, which is better?

Now that i know i dont need a solder chip I'm looking at
1. Spider GX,
2. Xecuter 2.6 CE w/ Xapt3r v1.6,
3. SmartXX LT OPX 2MEG S.E. with a Spider adapter, or
4. Xenium GOLD SP

IF price isnt an issue, I would obviously go cheapest but If anyone has any opinions....
I am continuing to read up on each of these chips but direct input would be appreciated.

OS is ON the modchip, and cannot be changed. Dashboards are on your HDD and can be changed.

with any modchip install goes as follows:

1) install chip

2) flash "hacked" bios

3) install dashboard

4) done.

I read alot of posts with problems about spider and smart, most people use Xenium or Xecuter chips. read the PInned "which Modchip to get?" it explains the differences better.

make sure you know your xbox version too, it can come into consideration when choosing the solderless adapter, check here:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions.php

also suggest you read the Newbie Welcome guide and Glossary Pinned above.

Edited by chorizo1, 29 May 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#6 gtrdude485

gtrdude485

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:26 AM

I think i will go with a chip just incase I want to do other things in the future. So here is my remaining ?:

I think I will go with a x2 ce. which solderless adapter should i go with? Some sites have them bundled some dont. Which will have the best connection and the sturdiest?

#7 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:32 AM

your going to want to get an Xapt3r made for your xbox version (1.0-1.4 or 1.6)

http://www.otbmods.c...1014-p-121.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users