Photo

Home Theater Speakers: Which Ones to Get?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 davinator456

davinator456

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

wow- thanks for all the input everyone...

I got a good idea of where to begin- RESEARCH... i think rather than blow a 3-5 hundred bucks on some crappy system -ill keep researching, and when i decide what i want i'll prolly start off with a receiver and some tower type speakers for the front L and R channels, then sublater then add a couple other speakers as i can.

but for now my stereo gets decent sound, and has the ability to piss off my apartment neighbors (but its a college town so no one would complain no matter how loud it got practically.)

time to research!

Edited by davinator456, 02 June 2006 - 09:17 PM.

#17 TNdad

TNdad

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:video games, electronics, coin collecting, metal detecting, computers
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

I would deffinately reccomend the system below. I plan on getting it soon. I sold it for a while & know it to be dependable. I believe you'd probably be happy with the features. I think they would go well with your current setup.

http://www.sonystyle...DVDDreamSystems

#18 PrO...

PrO...

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:56 AM

I just picked up this new SONY 5.1 for $170($120 after my giftcard) at BEST BUY.It sounds great for my appartment and gets the job done.Check it out.

you can find it fot cheaper

#19 amb7247

amb7247

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:13 AM

yeah I'll have to add my $.02. My JBL Northridge are awesome at 5.1 gaming on the 360 and good for movies too. They are ok for music but if I can figure out how to feed a LFE to my sub via Mp3's from ither my 360 or my dvd player then it would be even better.

I got my speakers from B&H Photo/video. THere are many good brands other than JBL. But I got them because of the reputation preceeds them as a good speaker manufactuerer. But others like Polk, Paradigms, and some others offer great sound to. Just don't get them at best buy or you'll pay alot more. Better yet visit your local audio retailer and see if they have speakers that you are looking for and have a listen.

My setup is:

Onkyo TX-SR702 Receiver
Marantz MM9000 AMP
JBL E80 fronts EC-35 center and E-30 for rears.

Edited by amb7247, 26 June 2006 - 04:17 AM.

#20 MJFOSTER77

MJFOSTER77

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 04:47 AM

I personally would recommend Klipsch reference series(or maybe one of their cheaper series). But I'm not quite the expert as some people on here are. Make sure to search around the internet for the best deal. But you should try to hear whatever you get first hand. I can't tell you how many reviews I read before I actualy bought mine. ANd I can't be more pleased with them.

You can't leave out good cables too. They are a very important part of this equation too.

#21 treacle

treacle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(GetLoose @ May 29 2006, 10:11 PM) View Post

I was wondering if anyone can recommend me some great Home Theater Speakers. Looking for a subwoofer that pumps out 150 watts, and has 5.1 to 7.1 surround sound. Ive seen a bunch of Speakers from JBL, Jamo, Polk Audio and Infinity. Ive had a set from JBL before which I thought worked great, the only problem was that if you listened to music it didnt sound that clear. Im also looking to use this system with my Sony STR DA2ES Reciever, Samsung 50 Plasma TV and of course my XBOX 360. Heres a link of the JBL's. The specs looks pretty good. Thanks for the help.

JBL SCS300.7. http://www.jbl.com/h...d...SCS&ser=SCS

Has anyone tried these new pioneers yet? They are made for x-box 360!

http://www.pioneerel...6743267,00.html

#22 harvinstl

harvinstl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Smokin' crack, cigars, golf, travel and smokin' crack.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

Best Bang for the buck. (You did say you wanted home theater speakers)

http://www.fluance.c...uan5speaks.html
Check for them on eBay, they have a store on there as well, and normally it is like $10 or $20 cheaper.

For your sub,

http://www.partsexpr...tnumber=300-633

You can step up to the 12" for about $25 more.

Receiver

Join club onkyo and save a few bucks as well.

http://www.shoponkyo...c...1&ext_war=1

Add some 16gauge wire and you should be good to go.

#23 CHRONIC 5000

CHRONIC 5000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:33 AM

I got my stereo off E-bay for $250 shipped. It's a Kenwood HTB-707DV. Sure, it's a home theatre in a box, but I've had it about a year now and no complaints. Awesome 6.1 surround sound and impressive bass for a HTIB.

Specs at yahoo shopping http://tech.yahoo.co...07dv/1991477118

#24 vexamus

vexamus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

Here's my dime on the subject.

There's a big issue that I have with those who couple decent equal power receivers with "home theater in a box" speakers and swear by it.

There are some boxed systems that sound great, I will admit and for the money you can't beat the prices that are out there just to get some halfway decent 5.1 in your house.

The thing is that many folks who own say a Kenwoon 7.1 THX Select reciever, will put sizable speakers up front and then tiny speakers for center and surround. This is an obscene waste of such a reciever's capabilities(and many like it, Yamaha, Zenith, Onkyo(mid ranged), etc, to name a few). Those receiver amps are equal power.
That means equal power potential to each channel.

There's a misconception that somehow the rear channels and center channels are somehow dryer and eq'd at the amp to be strictly supplementary in nature. Those of you with one of the mid ranged 5.1 or 7.1 systems, toss some big speakers in the rear as an experiment and you'll soon see that full power, rull range will emerge beautifully from the rear channels. In addition to that, those who use tiny speakers(I'm talking to you Bose users) are missing out on a great amount of sonic detail that is included in dvd's and games.

Bose's solution to this is make a wide-ranged sub and tiny drivers for high frequencies and directional focus.

The best way to do it is have large speakers at all corners, perferably equal in size and frequency response. They don't have to be insane home theater speakers they can just be regular shelf speakers with 8" drivers. The bigger though, the greater the headroom and the better it will sound overall.

My setup is a Denon 4306 with Klipsch F3's up front, F2's in the rear and a C3 for center channel. I suppose I'm a Klipsch fanboy but I got a real great deal on them.

Music is fantastic, Movies and games are insane. The system is extremely well matched to the amp they are connected to. However, my setup obviously isn't cheap and obviously isn't for everyone so I'm not preaching it.

There are however certain elements you can include in your setup even if you're on a budget.

Peace.

#25 signal2noise

signal2noise

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:04 AM

Really this isn't a forum that allows for a deep discussion on HT setup. I recommend a website such as AVSFORUM. However a few things I've learned (and I've put some serious cash into my speakers and receiver):

If you want your games to be loud and in surround and that's it, there is a lot out there that is good an cheap. Probably fine for gaming but if you want great music you will need to upgrade later. Check DEALNEWS for a good rundown on current promotions from various sites.

The ATHENAs are well regarded and a step up from that, proably possible to put together a good musical package for the $300 range.

For not to much more HSU makes phenominal subwoofers for not much and they have a package deal with surrounds that would probably satisfy most for a long time, certainly likely to be better than low to midrange products by sony, jbl and the like. Not much might be closer to $550 all up and in but at least you would have a sub that would rival subs costing over a grand.

My setup is an HSU sub plus speakers that run close to $800 each. But I don't expect I will have to upgrade them for another couple of decades.

The thing with speaker is they make the most difference of any HT single component. Pay a little now and if you care about your music a lot like I do and you will just have to pay more later.

I would really go with the HSU setup if you can swing it, otherwise might as well go cheap and consider it a temporary investment.

#26 bact

bact

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

I have a definitive technology setup, bit pricey, but got hell of a deal, there to loud for an apt ;x i rock da block, i got king kong in da trunk ;x

call ultima electronics or www.definitivetechnology.com

#27 three11

three11

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

Hey I got the

Pioneer 600W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System for Xbox 360.
Model: HTS-GS1

Its great, sound is good awesome, built in receiver, matches the look and feel of the xbox 360, 2 optical inputs, and comes with a media center universal remote that controls your xbox , pioneer system and tv.

The TV I am using to compliment my xbox and sound system is the Olevia 537H 37" LCD TV running xbox 360 at 1080i. Great TV!

#28 SphtKr76

SphtKr76

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:58 AM

After much searching I decided on the Onkyo HT-S790 at Circuit City for $409. Can't beat it for a 1000w 7.1 system at that price. It sounds really, really good hooked up to the 360 with GoW pumping at high volume.

#29 Seyser

Seyser

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

i have some really nice logitec ones. 6.1 surround sound, they work really good, sound great, and if i remember right, they cost a little over $100. maybe $150.

#30 Deekstar

Deekstar

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, PC's
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:29 AM

Pioneer 600W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System for Xbox 360.
Model: HTS-GS1
also got this one fantastic sound all round got settings for everything also if your to lazy to run cables you can set up virtual surround using all the speakers at the front of the room got pioneer stuff in the car so thought why not cost me 150 ($300) from www.play.com price may have gone up though its also got the cool remote that does your xbox as well and lots of other connectivity options

Click

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users