ViNCe_V

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:06 PM

Let's start off with a short introduction and then we'll get right into things. First there's the reason of WHY you should use this over CloneCD.
  • Well, CloneCD isn't free, this program is, that should be a major reason for most people.
  • Also this program is compatible with alot more burners than CloneCD, I know I had two burners that both would not work with the latest version of CloneCD.
  • Finally, once you set up this program you will be able to burn backups just as fast as CloneCD (just load the IMAGE.000 file). Also this program supports queueing several images to burn one after the other, a neat feature if you can make use of it.

Alright, now let's get down to how to use this thing! BTW ImgBurn is very similiar to DVD Decrypter, the only difference being ImgBurn is still being developed while DVD Decrypter is not. As such, you should upgrade to ImgBurn if you are still using DVD Decrypter. If not, the DVD Decrypter instructions are very similiar to those found here.

ImgBurn Backup Burning Tutorial

If you have done this before and have left the User Specified layer break setting the same, then you can skip to step #4
  1. Download ImgBurn
  2. Launch the program and using the menu at the top go to: "Tools -> Settings"
    IPB Image
  3. Go to the "Write" tab and under the "Options" section on the right hand side select the radio button labeled "User Specified" under the "Layer Break (For DL Media)" section. Now in the textbox next to the words "Sectors in L0:" enter the value: "1913760" (without quotes of course).
    IPB Image
  4. [You can start here in the future!] Open your IMAGE.000 or whatever you labeled your backup using the "Browse" button. Next to the text "Files of type" use the drop down menu and select "All Files (*.*)". You should now be able to select your backup image file.
    IPB Image

If you recieve the following error
    IPB Image
    Then you have most likely made an incorrect image. Try remaking the SS.bin and reapplying that as it may cause problems. IF YOU ARE SURE that you have correctly made your backup, you can use this tool to get ImgBurn to detect your ISO. For an explanation of what the tool does and how to use it view the Readme.txt inside the zip.
  5. Set your burn speed to 2.4x and click the large burn button. Sit back and wait for the backup to burn.
    IPB Image
  6. OPTIONAL: You can go back to "Tools -> Settings" and then back to the "Write" tab and set the "Layer Break" option back to "Calculate Optimal" if you are going to be using ImgBurn to burn other dual layer images that are NOT Xbox 360 backups. If you are only gonna be burning dual layer Xbox 360 backups, you can leave it to the setting before and resume at step #4 the next time you wanna burn a backup.

For convenience, I have decided also to paste the readme.txt from the iso fix tool here:

How to "fix" your blank padded images:

1) You will need 3 things: 1 working backup image, 1 backup image you want to "fix", and this tool.

2) You will need to complete the following task only ONCE, after that you can use the same backup.data for every bad image you want to "fix".
Method A:
[*] Rename the good/working image you have to IMAGE.000 and run create_backup_data.bat
[the image and bat file must be in the same directory!]
Method B:
[*] From the cmd prompt run: isofixtool.exe /b <IMAGE>
[remember to replace the <IMAGE> with the file name!]

3) Now, you can always start here from now on. Again there are two methods:
Method A:
[*] Rename the bad image to BADIMAGE.000 and run fix_image.bat
[the image and bat file must be in the same directory!]
Method B:
[*] From the cmd prompt run: isofixtool.exe <IMAGE>
[remember to replace the <IMAGE> with the file name!]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHY:

If you want to know why you need to do this it is because if you backed up your image using the blank360.iso using extreme's method, then ImgBurn will not be able to load the file cause it cannot determine what type of image your backup is. What this program does is take a backup made using wxripper and take the video partition at the start of that image out of the good image! It then inserts this into the bad image you have, overwritting the blank section of the image with a video partition. ALSO, after you make your backup.data you can rename it to blank360.iso and use that when creating your xtreme backups. If you make your IMAGE.000 file this way, then you will always have a working backup image.

Hope this helps!

#2 Impersonator

Impersonator

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

Great tutorial. I'll try this once my burner comes in the mail. To clarify, all the images done with xtreme's method need the tool to fix them?

#3 ViNCe_V

ViNCe_V

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(Impersonator @ May 30 2006, 06:19 PM) View Post

Great tutorial. I'll try this once my burner comes in the mail. To clarify, all the images done with xtreme's method need the tool to fix them?

Yes, any backup made using isobuster and xtreme's method will have all 0's at the beginning of it (this is because of the blank360.iso file that comes with the xtreme package). If you create the backup.data file using the provided tool, then you can rename the backup.data to blank360.iso and use this new file when making backups using the xtreme method. That way, instead of putting all 0's at the start of the backup, you will have a readable video partition.

#4 ViNCe_V

ViNCe_V

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

Posted from another topic cause it makes sense for it to be here too ...

QUOTE(ViNCe_V @ May 31 2006, 07:27 AM) View Post

Okay, time for a rundown of what's going on.

When you create a backup using IsoBuster you get a Game.iso image that is actually all the game data. You need to combine this with a SS.bin and a blank360.iso file to get a working backup. This is known as the xtreme method. The problem arises from using the blank360.iso file. This file is actually just a bunch of 0's one after the other (this is why you can compress the file so efficiently). What this does is just add "padding" to the beginning of the backup image so that the SS.bin is in the correct location for the firmware to read.

Why don't DVD Decrypter/ImgBurn do not recognize this you ask? The reason is because instead of the 0's these programs expect a description of the file, or some real data. In reality there is no reason to have 250+MB of blank data at the beginning of your image so these programs can not deal with it.

The solution! You will need a backup created from the wxripper method, this backup should have a video partition located at the start of the disc (instead of all 0's). You then use the tool found from my tutorial and you can use this wxripper backup image to extract the video partition (SS Merger has a similiar feature). The tool I use produces a file called backup.data and you can use this file to "fix" all your backups created using the xtreme files.

Finally, if you use my tool and get the backup.data file, then you can go one step farther and rename this file to blank360.iso and use this file INSTEAD and you will get working backups for DVD Decrypter/ImgBurn using the xtreme method. All the problems are because the ORIGINAL blank360.iso is just a file filled with 0's. CloneCD works because it doesn't care what format the backup is in, DVD Decrypter/ImgBurn on the other hand do, so that is why you are having problems.

For further clarification take a look at the tutorials in my signature.

On a final note, SS Merger can handle all of these splitting tasks for you as well. The only reason to use my tool instead is because it provides a progress status while it's doing the task and because it can apply the backup.data or video partition to a incorrect image directly, without the need to split that image apart first. So basically once you have the backup.data from my tool, you can simply patch/fix all your improper backups directly, no need for extra disk space or anything like that. SS Merger is a great program though smile.gif

#5 BALLIN5

BALLIN5

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:13 AM

so there's no need to set the booktype manually in dvd info pro because this program sets the layer break and burns image?

#6 ViNCe_V

ViNCe_V

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(BALLIN5 @ Jun 1 2006, 05:20 AM) View Post

so there's no need to set the booktype manually in dvd info pro because this program sets the layer break and burns image?

NO! You still need to set the booktype to DVD-ROM using either DVD Info Pro or this program can do it as well. But you still need to set it. This program is just a (better) alternative to CloneCD.

#7 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:03 PM

Hey Vince,

like i stated in my othe thread this still doesn't make sense to me and doesn't work (for me)

Like i stated i have problems burning my backups - and i thought this would be a media issue cause i tried different Double Layers (i still think this is the problem)

So before returning them i thought i give DVD Decrypter / ImageBurn a shot cause sometimes different rograms work better with certain media with the same burner....

Now, i have that problem of opening my images - and that's really curious cause they should work

So i tried to open up a working image that i already burned with CloneCD (on a different Double Layer disc) and that's working perfectly - and it still won't recognize the image

This IS my working image !

But where's the sense of using this one as my WORKING image running that tool on it, if Decrypter /Image Burn can't even recognize it ??? wink.gif

Edited by Iron Mike, 01 June 2006 - 05:03 PM.

#8 ViNCe_V

ViNCe_V

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:01 PM

The problem with DVD Decrypter / ImgBurn is that they cannot handle backups made using the blank360.iso using the xtreme method. This is because the blank360.iso is exactly that, just a file with a series of 0's in it to occupy space and put the SS.bin file in the correct location. The problem is that DVD Decrypter / ImgBurn expect something to be at the beginning of the file (both a label for the image and some real data). As such, you will get an error when loading this type of backup.

The solution is that you must have a backup created using the wxripper method. These type of backups contain a video partition at the start of the image instead of all 0's. Both SS Merger and the tool found in my thread tutorial allow you to then extract this video partition and apply it to backups made using the xtreme method. After you do retrieve this video partition from a wxripper style backup, then you can rename it and use it as a blank360.iso and that will make future backups loadable in DVD Decrypter / ImgBurn.

Why does't CloneCD suffer this problem? It's because CloneCD doesn't care what the file is, it will burn whatever you give it. So while CloneCD initially seems simpler, there are reasons to avoid it. First, CloneCD costs money after it's trial period. Secondly, many people already use ImgBurn / DVD Decrypter for all their burning needs (and they are free). Finally, CloneCD doesn't support as many burners as the other two programs. I was never able to get CloneCD to work, so after spending way too much time with it, I decided to develop an alternate method.

Both methods have their downsides, although I think the DVD Decrypter / ImgBurn method's downside is a one-time quick fix, so I prefer that.

To clarify, by working image, I meant one that DVD Decrypter / ImgBurn can load correctly, not one that was succesfully played.

#9 sergit

sergit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

I've problems creating a "good" bukup with the wripped method, so I cannot get the blank360.Iso in order to us it for the decypter method and further bukups using this file on the extreme method.

Could any one post where to find this small file already created?
Thanks.

#10 puffdank

puffdank

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:43 PM

Hey great tutorial...worked for me on a bunch of backups...

However I am having a hard time burning a backup of FULL AUTO NTSC

I used SS Patcher 1.5 ...

Then used this tool , normally it takes about 5-10min to patch the game with this tool..

But with my full auto iso it just immediately goes to 100% and says to burn , but IMGBURN still wont recognize it.

Any idea on why its doing this?

Thanks again for the tutorial definetly helped me burn good copys!!

#11 BALLIN5

BALLIN5

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

i am having a very hard time changing the bitsetting to dvd-rom booktype using either dvdinfopro and even imgburn!

I have a tsstcorp cd/dvdw TS-H552L burner and tried to use the samsung option in image burn and it always says failed when i try to change it, the method currently is set to normal with the image layer break intact!

QUOTE(BALLIN5 @ Jun 1 2006, 03:14 PM) View Post

i am having a very hard time changing the bitsetting to dvd-rom booktype using either dvdinfopro and even imgburn!

I have a tsstcorp cd/dvdw TS-H552L burner and tried to use the samsung option in image burn and it always says failed when i try to change it, the method currently is set to normal with the image layer break intact!

i ended up fixing the problem!

What i did was opened up image burn, then selected iso, then made sure layer break is intact, and inserted my DVD+R DL disk and hit change book type button and changed it to dvd-rom!!

Make sure DL disk is inside drive i guess!!!! biggrin.gif

#12 pastortom

pastortom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:32 AM

Edited by pastortom, 02 June 2006 - 05:33 AM.

#13 puffdank

puffdank

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:35 AM

Have ran into the 2nd game that doesnt want to work with this tool..

So far FULL AUTO NTSC + FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 3 NTSC...

When I goto fix-image it just says..

Patching image ... 0%

image successfully patched
press enter key to exit ...

Any suggestions on what to do here vince?

Thnx

#14 ViNCe_V

ViNCe_V

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

What does the program say before it starts patching? It should display something like:

Start Offset: 0
End Offset: 265877503
Filename: FN3BACKUP.000

or something along those lines. If it doesn't display that correctly, try running the program and everything from inside the same directory as the backup is located (this is necessary when using the BAT files to run it). Also, make sure that the backup.data is located in the same directory as the backup image when you are applying the patch/fix. If you have renamed your backup.data to blank360.iso, this will only allow you to have pre-fixed FUTURE backups, you will still need another backup.data file (yes it must be labelled that), when fixing old backups.

Let me know if that works for you, if not I'll think of some other things, cause I've tested Fight Night at least for you, and that worked, I don't own Full Auto so can't do anything with that.

#15 puffdank

puffdank

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:08 PM

It says

Start Offset: 0
End Offset: 265877503
Filename: BADIMAGE.000

I always keep everything in the same directory as the image....

Its wierd I dont understand what would be causing this....

Thanks for the help though....hope we can figure out whats wrong w/ the image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users