cerealkillajme

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

I comprised this method from looking at both geebee's and sniperkilla's SATA cable mods. All and all we are just trying to find a good way to not have to open the case to flash the firmware every single time we need to backup a game. So I ordered a few parts and figured I would go geebee's way or sniperkilla's way, but I figured out a new way to do it, so I'll share it with you guys.

Just in case you didn't know.

Geebee's method was done by using making 2 holes in the back of the 360 with SATA female ports and looping a SATA cable (male on both ends) to both. Then just remove one end of the cable and connect it to a PC to flash. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=513798

Sniperkilla's method was done by using a SATA male to female adapter and cutting a hole in the sheilding under the HD. Thus all you would need to do is remove the HD, take the under grill off, then just plug a cable into the end going to the DVD drive.
http://forums.xbox-s...dpost&p=3415248

First I realized when I got my cables I had enough lenght on them to make it to the bottom grill, so I started thinking and found a way, I'll describe it throughout the pics. Here is the extension cable that I used, you will need 2 of these http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812198009

First I used a dremmel with a drill bit and some wire cutters (lol, best tools laying around to make do with) to cut 2 holes+4 screw holes in the sheilding to mount the ports.
IPB Image

Next I put some electrical tape on both sides of the sheilding to avoid any electrical shorts (I don't know if it would short, but 5 extra minutes is worth not frying my 360).
IPB Image

As you can see now my ports are mounted.
IPB Image

You will need the stock cable for the grill to fit on, make sure you cut the holes with enough room for the cable to reach both ports.
IPB Image

This is an overview of how the cables run inside the 360 *Note ignore the bent cable in the pic. Do try to make the straight SATA extension cable a right angle (I ruined one, it will not work) Run the cable up the side and on top of the drive, not under it.
IPB Image

This is about how it will look when it's all done. *Note as above, do not run the cable under the drive. Run the cable on the left side of the drive (left of how drive is in pic) and on top of the drive. IPB Image

As you can see, there is very little room under the grill for the cable
IPB Image

*Note you probably could bend the cable right angle and work. I bent mine to the wrong side first, then back over, so I probably stressed it too much. The cable isn't expensive, but it's a bitch waiting 3 days for one. Also if you do bend the cable, don't do it while it's connected, you'll break the SATA connection on the 360 mobo and then you'd be fuxored.

Good luck and I hope some of you find this useful.

Edited by cerealkillajme, 30 May 2006 - 10:24 PM.

#2 neildo

neildo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

Nice one - looks like the mod for me

beerchug.gif

#3 geebee

geebee

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

yep thats great smile.gif

much neater than mine lol.

#4 Mysoundhurts

Mysoundhurts

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:B.a.s.e. Jumping, and modding anything that can modded, loud bass, the kind the hurts your ears

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:55 PM

I did mine like this, it did not require purchase of anymore wires or anything, I am 23 and have large hands so If my fingers can fit yours should be able to as well.
IPB Image
I did this becouse i hate opening my xbox and I didnt want any other (extra cables) wires sticking in or out. thanx XBOX-SCENE forums for all your help.

#5 Sharky

Sharky

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

An alternative method to use without cutting holes in the xbox is to remove the sheet metal from the xbox case lid, this will give you loads of room to add an extender cable for the sata, and if you bring it out to the side it will all fit neatly behind the hardrive

#6 Underoathx90

Underoathx90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:26 AM

ok so basically right now im just trying to connect my xbox 360 to my pc in any way possible is this the cable i need to buy in order to do so

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812198010

#7 cliffy88

cliffy88

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:56 AM

Nope, you probably don't need any new cables. Let the xbox 360 give power to the dvd drive. Then, you must have a sata port on your board, connect your sata card to your pc and dvd drive. You should have a cord laying around...your motherboard would have came with one if you have a sata port on it.

If you don't have a sata port, look around on the other topics for the sata controller cards that work!

Edited by cliffy88, 09 June 2006 - 03:57 AM.

#8 Underoathx90

Underoathx90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:38 AM

alright thx man hey do you have aim so you can help me a little bit i got a 2month for xbox live if you want to help me

or that goes to anyone that can help me
ill give a 2month

#9 neomod

neomod

X-S Senior Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE(Underoathx90 @ Jun 9 2006, 03:33 AM) View Post

ok so basically right now im just trying to connect my xbox 360 to my pc in any way possible is this the cable i need to buy in order to do so

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812198010

Umm. NO.

to connect the data to the drive you just use a standard sata cable. you can just leave the power plugged in from the xbox and use that. If you want to run the drive off your pc's power supply, you need to make your own adapter or you can buy a connectivity kit from team executer

#10 umpa

umpa

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

Hi gang - heres my take on the idea, my site is a little shitty but you should get the idea.
I'll clean it up when I get more time.

you can find it here :-

http://umpaserv.homeip.net/xbox360

#11 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:45 PM

all i did was get some needle nose plyers, put it between two of the metal holes in the grating and twist them carefully until they snapped.

did that all the way around, covered the perimeter with duct tape and closed the case up.
IPB Image

easiest way to switch the cables is using the needle nose plyers to plug the SATA cable into the dvd drive.

#12 jtom617

jtom617

X-S X-perience

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Jun 24 2006, 11:52 PM) View Post

all i did was get some needle nose plyers, put it between two of the metal holes in the grating and twist them carefully until they snapped.

did that all the way around, covered the perimeter with duct tape and closed the case up.
IPB Image

easiest way to switch the cables is using the needle nose plyers to plug the SATA cable into the dvd drive.

i pretty much did exactly what you did. smile.gif

#13 scrano

scrano

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

I just wanna say first of all that I love this mod CerealKilla, it's exactly what I'm wanting to do.
I've got a couple of things I wanted to ask though.

First of all I wanted to ask about the SATA lead that runs to the 360 board. I take it from your post that you've used a straight extension.

How does this go for room under the ODD? Looking at my ODD I would've thought that I'd need a right angle extension because a straight one wouldn't fit.

I saw someone on another post mention that he used a right angle "UP" extension. I figure that the "UP" is to do with the way it runs when connected (left to right or right to left when it's on a board, or up or down when it's on something like an ODD).

I was planning on buying one of these right angle "UP" extensions (so it would fit under the ODD without any trouble), and two of the leads that you've mentioned (one for an extension for my PC and the other to run from the back of the ODD to the other mount)

Anyways you mention in your post that the leads need to not run under the drive, why is this? Do they cause problems when they're run where they are in your pics or is it just that there is more room going up the left side and then over the top of the drive.

I'm not sure whether I've read that part right or whether it's Ok to run the leads where it shows them in your pics?

I've seen other mods where you've gotta reach into the case and pull the lead of the back of the drive and while I'm grateful for people sharing that info I don't like the idea of having to reach into an opening on my case. I like the way that with yours you can just remove that grill and unplug your drive.

I would be grateful for any help you can provide. Thank you, your work is appreciated

#14 ORange-9mm

ORange-9mm

X-S Young Member

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

Have you noticed any DVD loading lag? When I first saw this mod, that was my first thought, considering the SATA cable is now 10x longer.

#15 chipD

chipD

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(ORange-9mm @ Jun 30 2006, 07:13 PM) View Post

Have you noticed any DVD loading lag? When I first saw this mod, that was my first thought, considering the SATA cable is now 10x longer.

I havent noticed any "loading lag" But I am getting interference because when i took off the casing on the male end and bent the pins to make it right angle,one of the pins broke off,so i had to cut a male end off another sata cable i had laying around,and solder it to the extension cable.So now where its soldered together Im getting interference.I know this because for sh#ts and giggles, I decided to leave the joined part out of the 360 case and sure enough it reads the drive and works perfect.So now I need to figure out how to fix this so i can put my 360 back together....Anyone know what i can wrap it with so it shields the interference?.......Something i can buy at a local store?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users