#1 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:47 PM

Hi,
First off, I'm not a newb when it comes to xbox software and xbmc, but I am definitely a newb with xbox hardware and chipping.

I've got a 1.6 that I took to a store to get chipped. Never had a problem with it. They put a 300gb drive in for me, and formatted with F & G. I got another 2 done recently for friends. Same shop, same hard-drive, different versions of xbox (and different chips I assume). I really should have asked what chip they used, but anyway:

The two that I got done recently only had f drive, and I wasnít sure if they were formatted with 32k clusters or not. I used slayers disc to format the drive, then locked it with evo-x. I run xbmc as the dash. Xbmc says the drive is locked, however if I donít hold down the power button(turn on the modchip), then the xbox, restarts 3 times, then frags. This it not a problem, because Iíll only ever use it for xbmc, and I can get to the xbox dash from there. But last night after fraggin, it wouldnít turn on. I had to leave it unplugged for 10 mins. Not knowing anything about power, I assumed (probably incorrectly) that because the transformer was inside the xbox, I could use any power cord that fitted the plug. It wasn't till I took a closer look at mine that I remembered it had that round bit sticking out near the plug (capacitor or something? sorry, hardware newb). Once I put my xbox power lead in, it booted up. But now when you power off the xbox, it continually reboots and frags. I have to pull the power cable out.

My question is this: Can this cause any actual physical damage if it is used in this state( with a proper power cord). My friend lives in the country, and I'm supposed to be taking the xbox to him tonight. Can I give it to him and let him use it now, until I figure out what the problem is (or at least find out what chip is in it). As long as he boots with the chip, and pulls out the power cord to turn it off, it'll do everything he wants it to do. But is this safe? Thanks for any help

#2 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:10 AM

Sorry for bumping so early. Wouldnt let me edit. I just wanted to point out that I'm not looking for possible fixes or someone to walk me through fixing it. Obviously there's nowhere near enough details to try and figure out what the problem is. I'm just after a simple:

A. No, you cant cause any more physical damage just by using it in this state. The damage (if any) is done.

B. Yes, you can cause more damage by using it.

C. It's possible to cause further damage. Without more details I cant say for sure.

Thank you to anyone who knows what they're talking about and bothers to write A, B or C.

#3 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:26 AM

C.

or

D: take it back to the guy who modded it and ask him to fix it.

#4 smokyjoe

smokyjoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:37 AM

Thanks chorizo1. I was reluctant to take it back to the shop, as they are not very close to me. But I looked on their site and they just opened a new store near me, so I've taken it to that store. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users