Ready To Go Wireless, What Do I Need

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 211

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Mt Biking during Mt Bike season and Video Games during Video Game season
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:19 AM

I've recently moved my PC to the other end of the house thus loosing my "streaming media" capability of the xbox. Going wireless is my only other solution but what will I need?

Currently I have a Broadband modem and a non-wireless VoIP router from Vonage.
I could get a Wireless VoIP router to replace my existing one but there pretty expensive (100+).
Or I could get a Wireless Access Point to plug into my existing router right?
Either way, I'll need something on the xbox end. So the guy at Best Buy points me to THIS.

So tell me will I be better off with an AccessPoint to go with my existing router or just replace my router with a VoIP wireless one, then what's with this wireless converter? Will that work? Or will a wireless solution even work with a modded box?

Or do you magicians have some mod-acious trick up your sleeves

#2 xXxCocoFangxXx

xXxCocoFangxXx

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 1 and Halo 2 Modding, and Black.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:59 AM

Here is a little tut,

You need a Crossover Cable, and of course a router.

1.) Open Your Network Connections And Disable All Connections (Make Sure You DO NOT Have ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) On)
2.) Fire Up Le Xbox (With Cross-Over Cable Connectiong Xbox Port Into Computer Ethernet's Port)
3.) Right Click The Ethernet Port And Select "Properties", Then Double Click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
4.) The Select "Alternate Configuration" And For The Ip Put An IP (anyone Will Do), And The "Subnet Mask" (Fills In Automatically) And The "Default Gateway" (Your Router's IP)
5.) Click "OK", Then Click "OK" Again
6.) Enable Your Ethernet Port And Turn On Your Xbox
7.) Give It Time To Connect (May Take A While)
8.) Once Your Connected In The Network Connection Window Right Click On The Wireless Adapter And Select "Properties"
9.) Now Select The "Advanced" Tab (It MUST Be Disabled) And Check The Two "Share This Connection" Check Boxes.
10.) Then Click On And Enable It
11.) Let It Also Connect So Now You Have TWO Connections Active

#3 211

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Mt Biking during Mt Bike season and Video Games during Video Game season

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:49 AM

Okay, I understand for the most part. But again, my primary phase at this point is buying the hardware.
You need a Crossover Cable, and of course a router.
Do you mean a wireless router?
I have a router already and I've been able to stream from my PC to the Xbox, but now my xbox is three rooms away. If you do infact mean wireless router then what do I need on the Xbox's end? Some other type of wireless adapter right?

So I guess my question is, that tut, that's once I've got all the wireless hardware purchased and installed?
I still need advice on what hardware I'll need (please refer to original post).

Thanks

#4 xXxCocoFangxXx

xXxCocoFangxXx

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

Just a regular router. You could always buy the $100 Wireless Xbox router from a local Game shop if you wanted. I think it is easier to do it the way I said.

#5 211

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(xXxCocoFangxXx @ Jun 2 2006, 10:44 PM) View Post

Just a regular router. You could always buy the $100 Wireless Xbox router from a local Game shop if you wanted. I think it is easier to do it the way I said.

Am I missing something? How will this give me the wireless capabilities that I need?

As of right now I do not have any wireless devices or hardware. I have a standard router that was sent to me from Vonage when I bought the service 7 months ago, that's all. That's how I FTP'd from my PC to Xbox in the first place was through the router. Connection was never a problem because my PC was 10' away from my entertainment center in the living room. Now My PC is in the office at the back of the house and I do not want to run 100' of RJ-45 to the livingroom.
I'm not seeing how "Just a regular router" and a crossover cable will work.

Please, someone, walk me through this or something...

#6 xXxCocoFangxXx

xXxCocoFangxXx

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:23 PM

Do you have a NIC card in your comp?

#7 211

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(xXxCocoFangxXx @ Jun 3 2006, 08:30 AM) View Post

Do you have a NIC card in your comp?

yes of course, it's what I use to connect to the router and browse the internet [slash] connect to my xbox.

...actually let me take that back, NO I do not have a "NIC card" I have two integrated Ethernet ports built into my mobo.

#8 211

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:40 AM

Is there no one that has a wireless xbox connection that can help me with this?

#9 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:05 AM

Look here http://www.i-hacked....nt/view/223/62/!

#10 211

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(shadow23 @ Jun 3 2006, 07:12 PM) View Post

Yeah I saw that a while back. The problem with that is, it's 54Mbps which is not quite enough to stream high quality video and music (which is what I do most of). I need 108Mbps.

#11 skymonkey

skymonkey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Are you sure you need 108Mbps? I think the xbox is 100Mbps max. A DVD movie with DTS cannot exceed 10Mbps (that is the maximum allowable bit-rate per the DVD spec). A HD movie should only be about 3 times that.
I have a wireless link to my xbox, but I find the best data through-put is gotten when I directly connect (hard wire) the xbox to the wireless router (a cheap airlink MIMO) and wireless connect to the router from my PC. So the router sits beside the xbox. Again I use an inexpensive airlink PCI wireless card in my PC.
I get 25Mbps to my xbox that way (which is the max I can get - it limits to 50% of the 54Mbps link). This is half what I get from a wired connection (I can't connect to more than 50% of the 100Mbps), but it absolutely plenty for even high bit rate movies.

The airlink router is an AR525W, it plugs into my cable modem and my xbox. It cost $27 in Frys. The PCI card in my PC is the AWLH3026.

I have tried using a wireless link from xbox to router, using the D-Link DGL-3420... but I don't get quite as good connection speeds (probably about 18Mbps)... but it definitely works.

I'd say you should check what bit rate you really need by streaming stuff to the xbox, and opening your task manager on the networking tab, and check what percentage of your bandwith you are using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users