Photo

Make Dual Hdd Switch Kill Ethernet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kr580

kr580

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:04 AM

I'm wanting to do a dual HDD mod. Keep the stock one so I can go on XBL and then a 160GB one I have for whatever.

I was wonding if I could somehow rig it up to kill the ethernet connection when I switch to the big HDD and then unkill it when I switch back to the stock HDD. I was planning on just unplugging the cord before switching it so I don't risk getting banned on XBL but I'm thinking this would be more convenient.

Thanks - Kevin

#2 Maverick0984

Maverick0984

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

well you would have to take the ethernet cable apart and control the 5 wires inside (i believe it's 5). so you would need some sort of mega switch exactly like the hdd, with two active connections. it shouldn't be a problem just kinda find that kind of switch, possibly 2 switches, but mount em next to each other and flipping two isn't really a big deal.

i was thinking a little more, you could even have it when it switches to the other hdd that it goes LAN only so u can transfer from your pc still, that would be rather conveinent.

also, going through a switch for the internet may or may not lose some signal stength depending on your skill.

another thought, killing the ethernet on the big hdd would not let you transfer from your pc like i mentioned above, which would kill a ton of functionality and is more than just a convience.

soooooo, to sum up my jumbled thoughts, you can do it, but i'm not sure it is really worth it, you're already standing next to the xbox flipping the switch, just unhook the cable then, but it theoretically is "doable."

#3 bumr055

bumr055

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:guitar, kool lookin mods
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

can you get ban off xbox live like that?... i thought you had to acualy go on halo 2 (or what ever game) and then it would do all that stuff and ban you. or just dont connect to xbox live at all.because what is the use of not having a connection with a big hdd? you cant ftp files, unless you just are gunna go on linksbox and download everything off the internet. hold up you need internet to do that lol.

seems usless to me, unless im stuped...er

#4 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:06 PM

why would you want to disable access to the internet? if you're running xbmc, you're losing sooooo much.. rss feeds, weather, imdb lookup, cddb lookup, trailers, shoutcast, etc..

just use an xbl-block bios.. when stock hdd is used you're using the stock bios which allows xbl access, then switch hdd's and turn on your chip, which would block xbl.. not exactly complicated

#5 kr580

kr580

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

I guess I didn't think it through. Twas just an idea. I guess I'll just skip this tongue.gif Thanks for the replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users