Grentz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

You have probably seen some of my posts around here, but I am doing my first Xbox mod. I currently have a Clear Case topped Xbox (bought last year sometime), but I am now adding lights. I have done plenty of computer work (not much modding like painting and cutting holes for fans and such, but more repair, adding lights, etc.)

The Plan
I am going to light the X and also add some lights to the vents on the front of the Xbox (underglow). These will be Green 5mm LEDs from SickMods.net.
30AWG wire will be used for the 8 LEDs that will be mounted under the jewel. This is so it can be easily routed in the channel that is already on my clear case lid. 26AWG wire will be used for the front 4 and connecting to the 5v and Ground on the Xbox. I also plan to use a molex Y adapter to get power.

Supplies
-12x 5mm Green LEDs (from SickMods.net)
-1x 22ohm resistor (for the 4 LEDs on front) (from SickMods.net)
-1x 12ohm resistor (for the 8 LEDs under jewel) (from SickMods.net)
-5ft 30AWG Wire (from SickMods.net)
-5ft 26AWG Wire (from SickMods.net)
-Soldering Iron
-Solder
-Hot Glue Gun
-Hot Glue
-Blue Painters Tape (Great for holding wires temporarily to plan out setup)
-Electrical Tape
-Molex Y Adapter
-Marker (great for marking Positive/Ground Wires)

(It may seem like a lot of supplies, but it really is not that much when you get it all together)

Things To Do
-Finish Wiring
-Check Connections
-Connect to Xbox 5v Power

Already Done
-Supplies Purchased
-LEDs Mounted
-Xbox Disassembled

I will also first say that some of the hot glue looks messy and it's just because my glue gun is about 15 years old and does not work all that great, so it gets blobby and wierd.

Clear Cover Ready to Mount LEDs on:
IPB Image

My Little Supply Center (LEDs, Resistors, Soldering Iron, Solder, Glue Gun, Glue, Tape, Marker):
IPB Image

LEDs mounted with Hot Glue:
IPB Image

LEDs with leads clipped:
IPB Image

More to come very soon!

Edited by Grentz, 03 June 2006 - 08:03 AM.

#2 Grentz

Grentz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

Here is the LED layout Diagram:
IPB Image

#3 bogusbathtub

bogusbathtub

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:programing, modding, gaming, paintballing, and...pimping.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

lookin good

#4 V00D00777

V00D00777

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:39 PM

should look noce in the end. just take your time. i've seen a good bit of projects turn out bad because they rushed the project.

#5 Grentz

Grentz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

Yup, I am being very careful and working slow. The only stupid thing was the wire that got melted a bit by accident (see further down in this post)

More progress!

LEDs on Cover All Soldered Up:
IPB Image

Now Covered in Glue to protect from shorts!
IPB Image

Working on LEDs for front glow. Note that the one had to be angled wierd like that as there was no way to point it straight down with the controller ports being in the way:
IPB Image

Resistors for the LEDs. I choose to mount them in the front panel as it was out of sight and easy to wire up. The Larger resistor is for the lights on the cover under the jewel (its 12ohm) and the smaller is for the lights on the front of the Xbox (22ohm):
IPB Image

Finally the final wiring into the 5v and ground of the Xbox. I used a Y splitter and then cut off the molex adapter on one of the Ys. Finally, I soldered and Electrical Taped the 5v and Grounds for the LEDs:
IPB Image

I got through the whole process and started to reassemble the Xbox and noticed that some how the wire that comes from the front panel (for the Power/Eject Buttons) had been melted on one side. I forgot to snap a picture, but luckily it turned out it was mostly melted on the connector that is empty (pheww!). So luckly with a bit of knife action i was able to get it to fit and work fine again. Lesson to be learned, watch out for the hot soldering iron!

Final Pics Coming Soon.

#6 FreakSho

FreakSho

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

looks good so far,, i wanna see this nice and bright biggrin.gif

#7 SilentAssasin64

SilentAssasin64

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

Looking good so far. Final pics all lighted should look good.

#8 Grentz

Grentz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

Well, Every LED worked great when I plugged it all in and everything is working great.

I am trying to get some final pictures, it is just very hard to capture how good they really look. They always get really dimmed down in pictures. I will work on getting some shots up by the end of the day though smile.gif

#9 d00msday_jesus

d00msday_jesus

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

too late now, but it would have been a hell of a lot less work if you used the LED legs and soldered them together instead of using wire.

#10 Grentz

Grentz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(d00msday_jesus @ Jun 3 2006, 02:32 PM) View Post

too late now, but it would have been a hell of a lot less work if you used the LED legs and soldered them together instead of using wire.

I actually thought about doing that, but thought it would be easier just to do the wire. The LEDs under the jewel were not to bad to solder at all.

Ok, I tried really hard to get some good pictures, but I have not gotten anything really good as of yet.

In real life, the Green of the LEDs is true green (not the aqua green it looks in these pictures) and the leds light up the X and whole top very well even in good light (even though in the picture it looks really washed out).

IPB Image

IPB Image

Again, sorry for the blurriness, it looks so much better in real life, but it just does not want to be captured on camera.

#11 FreakSho

FreakSho

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:39 AM

looks good man but is the front black??? my monitor colors are screwy and i cant tell that but if its black u should do the side fins the same color so u only have the X...thats my opinion..other than that looks great

#12 theblujuggalo

theblujuggalo

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Technology mainly but mostly girls
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:26 AM

ewwww, you have a PS2, wow i would have to be PAID to own one

#13 toXic1

toXic1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:34 AM

looks good, maybe a few more leds for the front under glow but i like it.
as for the ps2 comment i own 3 yes thats right three. me and my wife play socom 3

Edited by toXic1, 04 June 2006 - 04:36 AM.

#14 Grentz

Grentz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:58 AM

Ya, the front is the original.

I am glad you guys like it smile.gif I wish the pictures could turn out better to show the true beauty. The side fins actually are not lit up really at all as the leds are pointed so that they just go down the X parts. In real life it really mainly illuminates the X.

As far as the PS2, yes it is a PS2, and i have had it way longer than the Xbox. I only got an xbox because of my friends that all switched to halo 2 about a year ago. I loved my ps2 and there is no reason anyone should down talk it. I still loved the GTA series and my James Bond games thank you smile.gif

(and dont ramble about the Xbox being more powerful or something as it doesnt mean anything with cross console games, GTA looks just as good on PS2 as it does on Xbox (i have both setup identically so do not even counter me on that one))

I also have a PSP, Dreamcast, Computer, Game Boy Advance, and Game Boy Color. The dreamcast still owns with the fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing! tongue.gif

Edited by Grentz, 04 June 2006 - 05:01 AM.

#15 revengeismyfury

revengeismyfury

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Halo 3 Live, Anime, XBMC.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:04 PM

swap out the ring of light, leds with some brighter greens. Paint, that black panel or something, maybe replace it with the clear panel, because its kind of boring.

Other than that, the case looks awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users