Photo

Does The X360 Play Dvd (video) Backups Ok?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ozy

Ozy

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:Gamming,<br />Women,<br />Films,<br />Fine Food,<br />Drinking With My Mates<br /> - Not In That Order.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:56 PM

I'm moving away soon (uni) and can't take all my electrical stuff with me so I'm just taking my PC, TV, X360, Notebook.

I really didn't want to take my DVD-Recorder with me to be honest (I have a amazing computer that had a TV card anyway) so I was wondering how well does the X360 play backed-up DVD videos?

The only reason I ask is I don't trust the x360 not to scratch my original DVDs so I was going to take backups with me and leave the original discs at my parents house (safe). I only have 30 DVDs (disgrace I know) so it wouldn't cost too much to back them up, but I don't want to waste the money on DVDR9 discs if the x360 can't play them.

Thanks in advance.

#2 JEB-101

JEB-101

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:04 PM

it worked fine with my backups... I tried on DVD+ - R, DVD+R DL, and DVD + - RW... give it a shot... but make sure it's in DVD format and not just an AVI on CD..

If you get a VCD to work or anyone has let me know im curious and never tried myself.

beerchug.gif
JEB

#3 Ozy

Ozy

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:Gamming,<br />Women,<br />Films,<br />Fine Food,<br />Drinking With My Mates<br /> - Not In That Order.

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:12 PM

It will be in DVD format. I'm going to use DVD decryptor. I just hope LotRs will be able fit on a DL disc, I have no idea how big it is.

#4 MrQuackers

MrQuackers

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:34 PM

It plays back fine as long as you dont edit the disc yourself (i.e. taking out the menus, or editing any part of the disc besides shrinking it) Should play all DVD formats like +,-,and DL

#5 Ozy

Ozy

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(MrQuackers @ Jun 5 2006, 11:41 PM) View Post

It plays back fine as long as you dont edit the disc yourself (i.e. taking out the menus, or editing any part of the disc besides shrinking it) Should play all DVD formats like +,-,and DL

I wasn't intending on compressing it, I don't like compressing it at all, however I may want to remove menu's or subtitles etc to make it fit on R9.

#6 Jelly4000

Jelly4000

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:10 AM

My 360 plays my backups fine. I often edit them to remove extras/commentaries etc. I use DVD shrink (best program for this kind of stuff) and dvd decrypter.

#7 Albino

Albino

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

I also use a tool called menu shrink, it compresses only the menu files and reduces a menu that is around 500-600 MB down to around 50, I do this before using dvdshrink, as it gives more space for the compressed film allowing a better level of quality than just shrinking straight away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users