X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

Greetz,

Over the weekend I flashed my 1.0 xbox with a 1024k bios that was apparantly bad. I only get Christmas lights now when i boot it up. I have an xbit chip, and I can start the xbox fine if I use this, but i want to remove the chip and use it somewhere else. I've tried the 3-wire trick, but I'm running into two issue with this, and I'm not sure which, or both, is the problem:
1. The solder point at C6R3 will simply NOT solder. That "yellow block" circuit is actually black on my MB, and I'm guessing that the little connection tabs are made of aluminum or something? I have even tried to just laying the bare wire onto the little metal tab and then putting a thin piece of electric tape over it to hold the connection. (The other two points i could solder just fine.) With the third wire at C6R3 taped down, and all there wires twisted together (as per instructions), I still only get Christmas lights when i boot up.
2. I'm thinking that because since I flashed my 1.0 with a 1024k bios, the first 256 portion of the bios is corrupt anyways, and even if the three wires are actually doing what they are supposed to, it won't work?

I've read for hours on this forum, but have had little luck in finding an alternative method for recovering from my mistake. I've seen that the Chameleon modchip will let me flash directly to the board, and perhaps the Matrix chip will too.... are these chips still available and will they allow me to recover my bad tsop?

Is there any other way for me to (re)flash my bad tsop?

Please and thanks for any replies!

Mahalo

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:52 PM

do you happen to know what bios you used?

also, the "block" peice should be soldered to the board, i find it easy to just use the excess solder as the base, however, sicne this point is ground theres literally a dozen other spots you could use (uncluding any screw or screw pad or the metal sheilding)

you could also try a 4-way switch mod to boot each bank on its own (you dont really needs the switches though, you can twist the wires together)

if your entire bios is corrupt or incompatible its unlikely that any of this will work though, you might have to stick with a modchip or use a 29-wire chip to repair

one last option if to try evox TSOP d.6 to repair, this is kindof hit-or-miss though, might work, might not

#3 Daveychan

Daveychan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:29 AM

Thanks so much for the fast reply! (And from LordVader no less! biggrin.gif )

The bios i used was the evox m8 that i edited via Evtool and changed size to 1024k (and the X to blue without the TMs). I have no idea why it fragged, i have had success many times with editing evox bios before.

Good news about the third wire simply being ground.. that's certainly an easy thing to set up and test!

As for the evox TSOP d.6, i do indeed have this, as well as the matrox_tsop_flash, but these seem to require a matrix modchip in order to the T1 grounding trick? I've read about the matrix tsop, and it appears as if there is quite a bit of extra wiring that i will need to do before trying to boot with it, or are those instructions just for the tsop overwrite points (which i have already done), so i'll just need to ground that T1 point while booting the bios?

So sorry for the barrage of questions!

mahalo again

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:33 AM

the evox TSOP d.6 should work with any cheapmod-based chip, not only a matrix, and its just a matter of taking d0 off ground about 1/2 second after booting (and hoping it can load with the TSOP)

#5 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:53 AM

I wrote a tut on doing this a while back.... http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=459116 check it out, it may work for you.

#6 Daveychan

Daveychan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Okay, i've read the tutorial, and if you don't mind, i'd like to recap what I need to do:

1) Solder the flash enable points (done because i already flashed "successfully" once)
2) Put in my xbit modchip as normal and add a wire from d0 so i can ground it
3) turn on xbox with the "d6_tsop" bios on the modchip, my slayers disk in the DVD drive, and the d0 wire grounded to a screw
4) approx 0.5 seconds after turning the xbox, remove the d0 ground
5) when it boots up....say a prayer, try not to giggle too much, use slayers evox to try and reflash the tsop

Is this about right?

mahalo

#7 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:32 AM

Pretty close....

I would try to wire in a switch on your d0, as you will likely have to try this many, many times.
You will need to play around with the timing of the d0 quite abit.... lordvader says 1\2 sec but I have found I needed a little over a second for most of mine to work. Slayers may not boot, or if it does it may not flash the tsop. The idea behind that tsop d.6 is that a pseudo retail bios loads, however since you have a hacked bios on your tsop it may still work. Once you get it to boot...make sure you remove the chip...so you know that it is writing to the tsop( if you remove the chip and it says flash not writeable, then you know it was trying to write to the lpc and not the tsop). If it boots to the ms dash....your golden, insert mechassualt, 007, or splintercell(whichever you used) and flash away. If your box has a dash exploit on it already...you should be able to just flash from evox.
Hope that makes sense.... good luck

#8 Daveychan

Daveychan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

Much appreciation for the replies!

First, since it is the easiest, I will try the 3-wire trick again with a ground used on my third wire instead of that un-solderable point.

Failing that I will attempt the tsop d.6 with the d0 wire trick.. (not looking forward to that!) 8-P

I'll try again tonight or tomorrow and repost my results!

mahalo for all the help!

#9 Daveychan

Daveychan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

Hello if anyone is awake over there...

I'm using the EvoX_MatriX_TSOP_flash.bin flashed onto my xbit and i have the d0 wire connected... and not having much luck here...

Quick question... if the d0 is correctly connected, when i try to boat a "regular" bios with my modchip, when i ground out d0, shouldn't it create and error and not boot the bios properly? I'm just trying to find a way to make sure i've got everything connected properly.

mahalo

#10 Daveychan

Daveychan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

Okay.. trying again now with the tsop_d6.bin, it looks a bit more promising because the eject light just flashes green, instead of the multi-color flash like the matrix_tsop.bin (makes me feel like it isn't an error, right off the bat!)

Still a bit worried about the D0 wire though, as it doesn't make a bit of difference when grounding it while using a real bios... seems it should do something, since this is where you would put a switch to be able to turn the bios on and off... ???

Just to verifiy, I put a wire on the point as shown in the top left corner of the fourth picture down on:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=165208

Still going to give it my best for another 30 minutes or so....

mahalo

#11 Daveychan

Daveychan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:23 AM

Well, no luck.. tried for about 3 hours with the tsop_d6.bin... i only get the green flasy flashy eject button.
To be honest, i'm still not convinced the d0 point is doing anything.

If the d0 point works like it should, wouldn't it interrupt a "regular" bios startup on the modchip if I leave it grounded?

mahalo

#12 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:30 AM

When D0 is grounded it disables the tsop and forces a load from the lpc. This is what enables a chip. D0 must be grounded in order to load a bios from the lpc modchip, once the bios is loaded you can remove it from ground or continue to ground it doesnt matter. The idea with the d.6 is that you begin to load from the lpc by grounding d0 and before the bios is fully loaded you remove ground and it picks up the remainder from the tsop.

*edit* however I have never seen this d.6_tsop trick work when a non stock bios was on the tsop, not to say that it cant work....

Edited by StrictPuppet, 06 June 2006 - 05:36 AM.

#13 Daveychan

Daveychan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:38 AM

Hmmm.. that is VERY useful information!

So.. in my case, when using an xbit modchip.. the d0 point is ALWAYS connected (it is a pinheader, solderless type)...

That means the ENTIRE time i was testing, the grounding and ungrounding of the d0 was doing absolutely nothing... LOL! Arg.. there is 3 hours of my life i'm never getting back! 8-)

So... i should electric tape over my d0 point on the modchip and then verify that my d0 wire will allow a bootup with a working bios on the modchip if (and only if) it is grounded? [That actually does make sense.]

So once i am able to control the "bootability" of the modchip via the d0 wire, i SHOULD then be able to switch to my tsop_d6.bin sector and then try that way?

Thanks much for the useful tip!

Hope I'm thinking right! I really appreciate your help!

mahalo

#14 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:24 AM

So... i should electric tape over my d0 point on the modchip and then verify that my d0 wire will allow a bootup with a working bios on the modchip if (and only if) it is grounded? [That actually does make sense.]

Yes exactly....if you had the chips d0 still connected, you were never actually removing d0 from ground.... try for 3 hours more...hahahah

#15 Daveychan

Daveychan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:55 PM

Well, what can i say? You were absolutely right!!!! love.gif

I taped over the d0 point where my xbit modchip pin hits the motherboard and then experimented trying to boot with the d0 wire grounded against the metal shielding on the inside of the xbox.
Sure enough... when touching... i get my lovely blue X and my slayer's disk boots up!
When not touching...... wait for it... just a broken xbox trying to find a bios and not succeeding.

I've experimented a bit with connecting during the "automatic" two more attempts the xbox tries when booting up when it can't find a bios (my d0 isn't grounded), and if i ground the wire on the 2nd or 3rd attempt, the xbox will start up. So, i'm hoping that i will basically get three attempts every time i have to hit the power switch....here goes!

Okay.. so, switching over now to the tsop_d6.bin with the d0 wire initially grounded, and trying to kick start things by releasing it between 0.5 and 1.5 seconds.....

Two hours now and still no luck... i'm beginning to think that the current tsop just isn't going to do it!

Aaaaaaaaaarg!
Well, i've learned a helluvalot, but i'm thinking this modchip is going to have to stay right where it is. sad.gif

I'm about out of patience with this for the third day in a row working on this.. think i'll take a wee break now.

I appreciate all of the advice and well wishes!
If you can think of anything to add that I might try, please be sure and give me a shout!

mahalo again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users