• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:18 AM

I have taken a look around and I have noticed no one has tried (to my knowledge) to internalize a Intec 5.4" screen into there xbox.

The screen in question is this:

IPB Image

Now that is the 7" model which I have but it is the same case with a smaller 5.4 inch screen (I have both models).

I picked one up from the local Pawn shop for $10 with no cables, cheaper than a PS1 screen.

I plan to take the project under my wing in the mean time, jsut wondering if any of you screen installers have any suggestions beyond the list of bookmarked tutorials I have already.

One of the things that's exciting (well at least to me) is that the screen also has RCA and Svid in on it. So even if I did install it in the top of my xbox I could always rock my Gp2x on it. I dont recall seeing any screen'd boxes with A/v IN. Usually I see a butt load of Outputs similar to all the ones Spillage has.

Also the screen comes with Speakers, (sp. shielded), and 2 Headphone output ports, which would kick ass to me because they are already amplified. so 1 less circuit to build.

Any feed back, flames, and suggestions are welcome. My current plan is to fit it all in (another) slim so I am off to find another xbox from the local pawn.

#2 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:15 PM

Well it appears that a total of 1 member on the Forum claims to have accomplished this. Hopefully I can find some pictures on it, but if not It'll just have to be done like the slim I did.. With no instructions (Previous to Em's Tut)

I'll post up some pics later of all the components, however I wont be able to do much in the way of working on it for a day or so. I wont let this be another "I'm gonna" thread Mark my words, I will break the screen, fry an xbox and set it on fire before I get no joy of a job well done! Hopefully I get it working though laugh.gif

#3 Lung-Dart

Lung-Dart

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Computers, gamming, modding, music, playing instruments, healthy lifestyle, poutines, $$$
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

Shouldnt be too hard. Just rip it apart and be carful not to break anything. If your going to use the speakers make sure theres an on/off switch becuase that could get annoying when its hooked up to a TV.

#4 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

Currently I plan to have the RCA in's located in the back, along with a head phone jack, A switch to toggle the Screen on and off and depending if/how I get the speakers in there a switch to disable them. I may need a 4th swith to disable to feed from the Xbox Av port into the screen for when I have my GP plugged into it. Or whatever else it is that I plug into there...

#5 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:49 PM

been a few posts about this recently..i guess people finally gave up on regular lcds. but yeah, this is cake... the screen is literally made for the xbox, it has the connections already, all u have to do is look at the wiring once u open it up, make an educated guess on wat is power, audio left/right in, video in, etc, and hook it up to the xbox mobo via tut pics of the pinout.

#6 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:12 PM

Well the connectors look the same on the outside but inside is a differnt story, they are not exactly the same, however, I completely understand how to hook it up Via the RCA in's but for me to use the original connectors I would have had to had a wiring hanging out the back. Unaaceptable to me. So I will just end up toggling the rca connectors from the Xbox Av port to the acctual RCA input. Yay.

#7 babyblu

babyblu

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:50 PM

ok just wire the screen internally using the av pinouts.

IPB Image

just use the top pic and instead of ports hook it to the screen

Edited by babyblu, 05 June 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#8 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:18 PM

Ok well to be fair, i didn't have chances to read the whole thread but if you mean a screen that pops up or pops out, then ive done something maybe somewhat simillar to what your talking about?

This is an earlier photo of a media center project i did with a 7" motorised screen fitted inside, its abit taller than a standard xbox i know, i know but its exactlly what i wanted and is perfect for my requirements.

Can't say ive ever seen anyone attempt to rip a copy of it or do anything simillar really.

Sorry for hijaking your thread but thought you may be interested so heres a pic:

IPB Image

#9 Hashmire420

Hashmire420

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:45 PM

dan2k0 i think your a great guy and youve done alot on here, but that is so god awful ugly. I mean it makes me want to kill kittens, though you did a great jobe on those controller ports they look stock.

Edited by Hashmire420, 05 June 2006 - 11:46 PM.

#10 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE(Hashmire420 @ Jun 5 2006, 04:52 PM) View Post

dan2k0 i think your a great guy and youve done alot on here, but that is so god awful ugly.

Well, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and All I am seeing is a pro Xbox with a fold up screen and some unsanded bondo. I think it's just lovely. love.gif One of a kind, and totally deserving of a title.

Actually Dano, I am currently planning to flush mount the screen on the top of the case, while somewhat impractical, I still think it will be a fun mod. Not only that I think since I havent seen one I better get on the damn ball before I see one.

Here in a few I will post up some of my test Pics. Nothing too fancy just showing the current testing I am doing with a Broken Mobo and a case Just cram testing the whole thing now before I get it togather liek my last slim and have to make some "Oh shit" adjustments. Thanks for all the comments and good feedback guys I have recieved several Pm's on the topic, and YES, to answer all of your questions if I get the bloody thing working by god I will make you all a tut that is semi-easy to follow. biggrin.gif

#11 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:24 AM

On with the Pics shitty for you DIal up Kiddos....

All of the components Minus the LCD....
IPB Image

Rear shot of the back Input ports... Still trying to decide on the final product if I am going to shave the Svid In off.. Really the only thing that I will EVER plug into it would be my Gp2x, but I have a small inline svid to Rca adapter from Rat shack.. so it will really be decided by feedback and my current mood the day I begin drilling out the acctual case I will be using..
IPB Image

An internal Layout Picture... Notice in the back where the RCA/Svid in PCB sits, there is normally a Cap there to be layed down, however it was removed from this box for whatever reason previous..
IPB Image

A closer Picture of the Controls (Brightnes contrast, volume, bass, treble, bla bla)
IPB Image

Here is the Original Input PCB from the Screen, however I cut it down, and have verified with a multi that it works. (Or so I think)
IPB Image
Cut
IPB Image

Some Screen shots.. Get it Screen... Shot.... nevermind..
IPB Image
IPB Image

And A size comparison of those speakers.. just to show how much of a bitch hole it will be to cram them in there... Well for me at least.
IPB Image

Edited by EverestX, 06 June 2006 - 01:26 AM.

#12 potato10

potato10

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:modding and blowing up xboxs

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:20 AM

DUDE! how did you get it out of the case. i pryed and plled but i could get everything out so i gave up. looks good.

EDIT:and on the first schematic what does that "1" symbolize?

Edited by potato10, 06 June 2006 - 02:23 AM.

#13 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE(potato10 @ Jun 5 2006, 07:27 PM) View Post

DUDE! how did you get it out of the case. i pryed and plled but i could get everything out so i gave up. looks good.

EDIT:and on the first schematic what does that "1" symbolize?

1 is the square pin, it's Pin1 of the connector.

Openign it up you have 4 screws in the fron 2 are under those pads. then there is clips that run the outline of the fram surrounding the screen you should be able to pop something in there and see each one I jsut broke the things casue I was tossing the plastic anyway. I can get you some better pics possibly when my hommie brings my other screen back smile.gif

#14 pimpmaul69

pimpmaul69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE(EverestX @ Jun 6 2006, 04:16 AM) View Post

1 is the square pin, it's Pin1 of the connector.

Openign it up you have 4 screws in the fron 2 are under those pads. then there is clips that run the outline of the fram surrounding the screen you should be able to pop something in there and see each one I jsut broke the things casue I was tossing the plastic anyway. I can get you some better pics possibly when my hommie brings my other screen back smile.gif

the 1 i think he is talking about is on the spst switch

#15 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Hashmire420 @ Jun 5 2006, 11:52 PM) View Post

dan2k0 i think your a great guy and youve done alot on here, but that is so god awful ugly. I mean it makes me want to kill kittens, though you did a great jobe on those controller ports they look stock.

Haha don't worry mate, thats not the final colour. Once its all together its actually pretty smart, the photo you see right there is an early shot, the DVD drive bezel will also be made the same as the front panel so it will all match. On this kind of project you have to have good plans and good imagination to pull something off that actually looks reasonable.

The reason i made this is because i can use XBMC without having to have a TV plugged on it, and the screen is crystal clear. It also has some small built in speakers so aslong as ive got power i can play games, music, watch movies etc etc. Best of all plugged into a big amp with speakers it makes one hell of a media center. Thanks for the comments on me though, its nice to see people recognise me and my work biggrin.gif

QUOTE(EverestX @ Jun 6 2006, 01:07 AM) View Post

Well, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and All I am seeing is a pro Xbox with a fold up screen and some unsanded bondo. I think it's just lovely. love.gif One of a kind, and totally deserving of a title.

Actually Dano, I am currently planning to flush mount the screen on the top of the case, while somewhat impractical, I still think it will be a fun mod. Not only that I think since I havent seen one I better get on the damn ball before I see one.

Yeah mate, thanks for that. Just thought i'd post it and show you what i did using the LCD. It most deffinatly is one of a kind though i agree there any day, when i first posted some of it alot of people said they were going to build one in, then i think they realised it wasn't all so simple haha.

I would love to see you flush mount that screen in the top of your box, i agree with you there out of all the years ive been on X-S ive never seen anyone make a true flush mounted screen. And i would guess it won't be all that simple or easy to do properlly so i'll deffinatly be looking forward to seeing it done.

Best of luck beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users