35 replies to this topic

#1 Spies

Spies

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:11 PM

Aside from people wishing, I have a fair a valid argument as to why it might not happen.

On the Xbox 1, the eeprom banning took place to preserve the integrity of the Xbox Live network, by integrity I mean modified game files, which was very possible with a modchip, as code no longer required signing, so in games like Halo, cheating would become rife. MS's only choice was to ban modified Xbox's, whether they wanted to do this or not is another question entirely, afterall, they still get your annual subscription.

With the firmware hack to enable backups to be played, the files that reside on the disc cannot be modified else it breaks the signiture, and would render the game unbootable, now as long as things stay this way, I see no reason why MS would spend a lot of effort and time in banning people from Live.

Thoughts on this would be welcome.

#2 geebee

geebee

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

how about they just stop backups running. Same result.

#3 Morninglight

Morninglight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:17 PM

Live is not the only means of income from the 360... the mass income will stil come from the games I think (a lot of people don't have internet or the knowlegde to hook the 360 up to internet)

Banning a hacked 360 does not gain a cent for M$, but it will scare off people from hacking the 360.

#4 C o s m o

C o s m o

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:The Shocker, mudbutt, luge lessons, buggery.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Morninglight @ Jun 6 2006, 03:24 PM) View Post

Live is not the only means of income from the 360... the mass income will stil come from the games I think (a lot of people don't have internet or the knowlegde to hook the 360 up to internet)

Banning a hacked 360 does not gain a cent for M$, but it will scare off people from hacking the 360.

Or, it might promote people to buy multiple consoles...one for modding, one for LIVE action. Tons of us have a second dedicated Xbox for LIVE. Imagine us all having 2 360s as well. M$ would love that.

#5 Spies

Spies

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(geebee @ Jun 6 2006, 09:20 PM) View Post

how about they just stop backups running. Same result.

Then people will just play backups offline, only difference is, MS isnt getting their Live subscription.

#6 Kernal69er

Kernal69er

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:23 PM

Yes true people will just play the backups off line, but the majority of people prefer to play online. I myself have not touched the single campaign for Halo2 only online, GRAW = some what but only online for the most part...How fast will you get bored of your "backups" if you can't play multiplayer over live? Its the 21st century, no one likes to play alone unsure.gif

Not too mention , think about it, if M$ doesn't ban people with modified firmware and people are playing backups online with no problems. Then the modified hack will spread faster than a weed. The only reason most poeple don't have it, is because they are worried about gettign banned from live. If there is no ban, then whats stopping ever 360 owner from getting the hack , copying games, and then M$ and its developers will ahve little profit and then the 360 becomes the dreamcast and a pretty paper weight

Edited by Kernal69er, 06 June 2006 - 09:26 PM.

#7 nwo504

nwo504

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

If people brought two 360s MS would lose in the long run because they lose money on the consoles and noone would buy single player games.

#8 Spies

Spies

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(Kernal69er @ Jun 6 2006, 09:30 PM) View Post

Not too mention , think about it, if M$ doesn't ban people with modified firmware and people are playing backups online with no problems. Then the modified hack will spread faster than a weed. The only reason most poeple don't have it, is because they are worried about gettign banned from live. If there is no ban, then whats stopping ever 360 owner from getting the hack , copying games, and then M$ and its developers will ahve little profit and then the 360 becomes the dreamcast and a pretty paper weight

You're forgetting that 'most people' will not have the ability or know how to go inside their machine, invalide the warentee, fiddle around with sata cables and mtkflash. I might be kidding myself here but this 'hack' is still very much exclusive.

#9 njgsng2004

njgsng2004

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:17 AM

This hack isn't hard! I'm 11 years old and I got it!

#10 bigballer101

bigballer101

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:28 AM

no offence if a eleven can do it then anyone could but i doubt that ur really 11 not 2 be a dick or anythin but if u r congrats i think ur a genius child

#11 Mysoundhurts

Mysoundhurts

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:B.a.s.e. Jumping, and modding anything that can modded, loud bass, the kind the hurts your ears

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:37 AM

I agree with the youngen, I'm 23 and I had no problem doing this hack, I think flashing the T.S.O.P. of xbox 1 is way harder, with this you can flash and reflash,with out soildering, with xbox1 T.S.O.P. it's all or nothing. I know you can reflash the xbox1 but you have to flash it right the first time. Anyone who has hacked xbox1 should have no fear in the 360. cool.gif

#12 gozunz

gozunz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:45 AM

I dont think the 360 will become a dreamcast. MS is too good at marketing to let that happen. This may just be an oppertunity though for them to OWN the Sony. We shall see with time. I know many many people that wont get a system now days unless its hacked. Its rather sad.

#13 neomod

neomod

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE(C o s m o @ Jun 6 2006, 09:26 PM) View Post

Or, it might promote people to buy multiple consoles...one for modding, one for LIVE action. Tons of us have a second dedicated Xbox for LIVE. Imagine us all having 2 360s as well. M$ would love that.

Why would MS love that? They lose money on the consoles. They take a loss on the console and hope to recoup it and make their money from title sales. This is why marketshare is so important in this business. The more systems they have out there, the more games they will sell and that's how they make their money. They would rather you keep your one 360 and use the $400 to buy games that hardly cost them anything to manufacture.

MS probably has many ways of disableing the hack right now. I don't want to get side tracked on how. There are many threads that go into detail about that. I understand the FW could be re-wriiten to fake responses to these checks the system might run but I'm speaking of disabling the hack in it's current state. And even then, if they reflash the firmware and lock it, that's a whole new obstacle. I think if they are sitting on a fix right now, their issue is most likey the best delivery system for it. They need an effective way to get this on every hacked xbox.

They won't do any of this though. Not yet. This Hack is great for them at the moment. It's drive console sales and that means more market share for them. Much like their operating systems, they will look a blind eye to this for a while until they are happy with the market share before they strike. For a long time, they did nothing about bootleg OS's. Hell, they even provided updates even for the bootleg ones. But recently, they put a stop to all of that. Now what are all those people that have a bootleg WinXP, who have gotten so use to using it suppose to do? I think you know the answer.

I only hope a modchip will be out before we have to worry about all this. This Devil360 looks promising. Id it's not all BS!

#14 Mysoundhurts

Mysoundhurts

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:B.a.s.e. Jumping, and modding anything that can modded, loud bass, the kind the hurts your ears

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:27 AM

I agree I think M$ will do something about firmware hack, but will not ban you from live, there is way to much money to be made.

#15 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:45 AM

I've been onboard with the "Data Harvest" theory from day 1. I think MS$ will put code in place to track hacked consoles, in a multitude of ways, then 1 day start banning them based on information they collect during the harvest. They can even use this harvested data to determine the best way to thwart the hack. (Remember the HDD Marriage situation on Xbox1?)...

We might not see the true effects (if they exist) that this dash update could have on the hacked firmware for Months, unfortunately wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users