#1 Quest4glory

Quest4glory

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:30 PM

this is not a newb question, i'm just trying to understand its limits,
I know this can and will not ever happen ( most likely)
but if a Dreamcast emu was:

(1.) was written 100% ASM
(2.) Xbox CPU was overclocked biggrin.gif
(3.) Virtual memory was used
(4.) It was written from scratch for xbox
(5.) Proffesional programer

could it maybe run at at least 70 to 80% speed? I know this want happen just wondering if it is at least a little feasible.
This would be the xbox's max

#2 Jse

Jse

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:44 PM

i think i speak for everyone when i say meh

#3 Lowen Na

Lowen Na

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Quest4glory @ May 4 2003, 06:30 PM)
this is not a newb question, i'm just trying to understand its limits,
I know this can and will not ever happen ( most likely)
but if a Dreamcast emu was:

(1.) was written 100% ASM
(2.) Xbox CPU was overclocked biggrin.gif
(3.) Virtual memory was used
(4.) It was written from scratch for xbox
(5.) Proffesional programer

could it maybe run at at least 70 to 80% speed? I know this want happen just wondering if it is at least a little feasible.
This would be the xbox's max

First, I don't think that the Xbox can be overclocked, but even if it was it couldn't upped enough to make a real diffrence.

Second, we still haven''t gotten Vitural Mem working, but even if we had, the Dreamcase only had 16MB main RAM + MB video RAM 2MB sound RAM = 26MB. That in mind, remember that the Dreamcast was GD-Rom based and could only load the game in 16 MB chucks. So unless this fabled emulator used more than 38 MB of ram for it self, then Virtual memory wouldn't make any diffrance for it, were as on something like the N64 were the games were saved on ROM chips in a cart that can be reas much faster than hard drive needs the emulator to load the entire rom in to memory (or virtual memory) in order for it to play.

Third of all you will never find some one willing to write one from scratch in ASM for the Xbox, or from scratch for the Xbox.

That said, I still don't think that 70-80% is very likely EVEN with the things above that I said are not likely, possible, or would make a diffrence at all. 40-60%, maybe just at 70% if it were as optimised as much as anything has ever been optimised before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users