fastTOE

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:59 PM

i read all the reviews sayin how bad it is,... and the posts here as well, but my question is,... to the people that really enjoy baseball games, or the people that just need the mlb fix,... is it worth it at all? or is it ABSOLUTELY unplayable?

#2 tNCecil

tNCecil

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

It really is that bad, I had a partial review written up for my site that I never finished, just because I couldnt be assed to turn on that game again. Play last years EA baseball game, its a hell of a lot better

#3 JadaKOD

JadaKOD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

Dude its HORRIBLE, and what sucks is that as far as i know you CANT play ea mvp05 cause it's not compatible yet... and i doubt they will come out with compatibility for it due to some big shit goin down with ea not makin next gen baseball games...

2k6 is HORRENDOUS

#4 fastTOE

fastTOE

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

damn fuckin bullshit ea......

they have a monoply on baseball games now too, don't they?

#5 Mystic34

Mystic34

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

2K sports owns the baseball monoply on xbox.

I can't even play a couple innings in the game and it will freeze no matter what game I play.

#6 tNCecil

tNCecil

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

Heres part of what I wrote for my website, ptoponline.com

Another year and another baseball game to kick off the opening of the season. This year, 2k Sports has exclusive (third party) rights to the Major League Baseball series. As of right now, Sony is the only company other than 2k Sports to release a baseball game (which is surprisingly fun…). One exception is Slugfest, but that is just one more game due to the contract made prior to the Take Two agreement. So, with all that being said, this baseball game is the only game that will grace the Xbox 360 for at least this year, though it remains unseen if MS will create a MLB game of its own.

More Memory. More Power. Exclusive Rights. Better Game?
I had high hopes for this game. 2k Sports has made decent baseball games since the Dreamcast’s demise, even if MVP Baseball (by EA Sports) was slightly better in some aspects. Since 2k was given “exclusive” rights, you would figure that they would actually make a decent game to set the bar high on a brand new, high horsepower system. Boy was I wrong.
Let’s compare this year’s 360 baseball game, to last year’s Xbox MVP, both running in high resolution.

//Insert Comparison Shot

Notice a huge difference? No? Neither did I. For a system that is leagues ahead of the original Xbox, the 360 baseball game barely pushed out graphics above its predecessor. And these are only screenshots! The framerate in this game is so unstable, you can visibly tell when graphics are loading, voices, or whatever else needs to load in this game. On top of that, when the graphics ARE loading, they are presented in such a sloppy method. Often times I would strike a man out for the third out, and the camera would pan back to where my pitcher is, or rather, where he should be. But something was different about him. Oh, that’s it! That’s the OPPOSING teams picture, before my picture even walked off the mound.
Jeter. Soriano. Morris. Martinez. All recognizable names in the baseball world. So figure that the developers would take the time to at least model them mostly correct. WRONG! During the close-ups, the portraits sometimes resemble the person, sometimes. That is, until the features that define the person fail to show up, like a beard or something of that nature. On the mound or at bat, and the models are even worse! Jeter showed up like some chubby white guy with fat arms. The “Big Unit” isn’t that tall, lanky figure that he is. Pedro looks more like a pile of dog crap then an actual person. I don’t know what the developers were thinking, but damn, this is the Xbox 360, not Nintendo 64 for crying out loud. So, even with these crappy models, 2k at least did decent animations, right? Nope again. The running is sloppy looking, and the throwing just as bad. I still haven’t figured out how my 2nd basemen throws facing the 3rd base, and yet his hand clips through his body and towards 1st base (where I wanted it to go). This is just one of the many graphical flaws presented throughout the game.
The crowd is just as sloppy. When going for a close-up of the batter, you can see the crappy 3d models pop in a second or two after the rest of the scene was loaded. That is, if they are 3d models. 2-Dimensional sprites are thrown into the mix. Especially bad is the Twin’s stadium. During the time-waster feature called Trivia, the people show up as extremely low resolution Sprites, with around 3 frames of animation. Trust me when I say low resolution, I’m talking worse then SNES sprites. And there are a ton of them! Nice try 2k, if you’re going to throw in sprites, try not to make it quite as noticible. For the models that ARE 3-d, and I’m talking about all, oh, around 6 different models, they are again extremely low resolution, choppy animation, and they still slow the framerate down. Unacceptable. That’s all I have to say about the graphics.

//Insert Picture

One area where 2k has always done a great job is the commentary, and, for the most part, they did a good job again. The COMMENTATORs are back, providing some of the best commentary in a sports game yet. Humorous without being over the top, though the usual problems to plague this game as well, such as redundant speech, or that the speech is a bit too delayed for my tastes. All this is fine though, until technical flaws screw up another great feature. After playing around 4 or 5 games of the season, I shut my console down, and went to bed like any normal person. When I got a chance to play again, I realized something was wrong. For every god damn pitcher or batter, they acted as though the person had never played another season. For every pitcher, the commentators comment how their ERA was horrible for last season, and that they had no wins last season. For every batter, they feel the need to announce that the batter hit 0 homeruns and had 0 RBI’s. Dammit 2k, that’s not what it said before I turned the system off. Now, when the commentators start announcing the opposing teams pitcher as the current pitcher, I have a problem. Batters are sometimes announced one batter too early. And how the hell do you get a double play when I have no men on base? Come on 2k, do the commentators some justice and at least program the damn speech correctly.

Obviously, I even went as far to forget the title of the game on a number of occasions, thats how bad it is. Tons of spelling mistakes, unformatted, all that, but it should give you an idea of how bad the game was.

#7 fastTOE

fastTOE

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:50 PM

what happened to the eidt feature? i blamed ea when it was 2k, my bad (though ea still sucks too).....

i guess i'll just wait,... or maybe get WSB2k3 since its the only BC game for the 360....

#8 monkeyflungpoo

monkeyflungpoo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

This game is bad because of the way you bat i still wish MVP Baseball would be out for xbox 360 but damn the EA people

#9 JadaKOD

JadaKOD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:25 PM

or just atleast make MVP05 compatible with 360, i'd play that over any other baseball game ever, and I'd play it non stoptoo lol i completed a dynasty, like 20 seasons, I couldnt put that shit down!!

#10 b15ginz

b15ginz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:graphic design, web design.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:16 PM

dont bother. not for 60 bucks anyway.

#11 fastTOE

fastTOE

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE(JadaKOD @ Jun 9 2006, 09:32 PM) View Post

or just atleast make MVP05 compatible with 360, i'd play that over any other baseball game ever, and I'd play it non stoptoo lol i completed a dynasty, like 20 seasons, I couldnt put that shit down!!

how is the "dynasty" or franchise mode on this? is that at least worth it? cuz you dont have to actual "play" you can just sim the games and have fun being the manager?

(obviously not for 60,.... for like 20: ebay)

#12 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Mystic34 @ Jun 8 2006, 12:15 PM) View Post

I can't even play a couple innings in the game and it will freeze no matter what game I play.

that is the damned truth. i got it from gamefly yesterday and i was a little excited, first baseball game i've played since triple play on the genesis. so i get it all set up how i want but kept it within the requirements to get achievements and fire up a match. i'm having a great time playing, finish the 5th inning, black screen immediately. i think wtf, did it seriously just freeze. so i press a bunch of buttons and start to swear, leave it for 10 mins, still there and no activity from the dvd drive (going by sound) so i just turn it off. fire it back up. everything seems fine. i'm killing the other team this time since i now know how to play. bottom of the 5th, 3 outs, FREEZE! same damn spot. so i restart it again, i go on the internet and see the update i downloaded when i put the game in was supposed to fix this freezing problem, it hasn't, so i looked at what people did before the update came out. i saw, they held down "A" while starting the console to clear the cache. the cache thing seemed to work since it took a while at the 360 startup screen. so i'm happy, and feel confident it won't freeze again, however, i'm also going to save after every half inning. so i do that, i get to the end of the 5th and it freezes again. although, i say "no sweat" i got that shit saved, a few more innings and i got my achievements. yet i was wrong. i did end up finishing the game, however, I DID NOT GET MY F'N ACHIEVEMENTS! and i followed every damn guideline they have. and now when i try to play the game won't get past the end of the 1st. BSOD (Black Screen of Death!) I hate this game and i hate 2k. i put up with college hoops 2k6, i put up with nba2k6. but, mlb2k6 pushed me over the edge, i'll never support 2k again, ever!

#13 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Football (US), Pro Wrestling, Anime
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Aug 11 2006, 04:14 PM) View Post

that is the damned truth. i got it from gamefly yesterday and i was a little excited, first baseball game i've played since triple play on the genesis. so i get it all set up how i want but kept it within the requirements to get achievements and fire up a match. i'm having a great time playing, finish the 5th inning, black screen immediately. i think wtf, did it seriously just freeze. so i press a bunch of buttons and start to swear, leave it for 10 mins, still there and no activity from the dvd drive (going by sound) so i just turn it off. fire it back up. everything seems fine. i'm killing the other team this time since i now know how to play. bottom of the 5th, 3 outs, FREEZE! same damn spot. so i restart it again, i go on the internet and see the update i downloaded when i put the game in was supposed to fix this freezing problem, it hasn't, so i looked at what people did before the update came out. i saw, they held down "A" while starting the console to clear the cache. the cache thing seemed to work since it took a while at the 360 startup screen. so i'm happy, and feel confident it won't freeze again, however, i'm also going to save after every half inning. so i do that, i get to the end of the 5th and it freezes again. although, i say "no sweat" i got that shit saved, a few more innings and i got my achievements. yet i was wrong. i did end up finishing the game, however, I DID NOT GET MY F'N ACHIEVEMENTS! and i followed every damn guideline they have. and now when i try to play the game won't get past the end of the 1st. BSOD (Black Screen of Death!) I hate this game and i hate 2k. i put up with college hoops 2k6, i put up with nba2k6. but, mlb2k6 pushed me over the edge, i'll never support 2k again, ever!

you can't play with the sliders, if you do you won't get achievements. you need to be playing on the default settings.

#14 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

yea i left it on pro. i also left all of the settings default. like injuries are on, pitcher fatigue is on, etc etc.

Edited by spinr34, 11 August 2006 - 09:25 PM.

#15 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

OK, if this game is freezing on you like it was for me (freeze at the end of almost any inning before the cut scene) then make sure you pitching isn't on Zone or Zone 2. I had my pitching on Zone. I know this seems random but 2k Sports actually told me there is a known bug with Zone pitching that will cause the game to freeze before/after a cut scene at the end of a half-inning or inning. I played last night without Zone pitching and not one freeze for 3+ hours. So if you are still experincing problems after downloading the AU then this should fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users