#1 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 May 2003 - 10:58 PM

You bought something from http://www.gamefly.com ?

Please leave your experience, opinion, rating and/or comments here!

#2 scotty6004

scotty6004

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:51 AM

Ok I think gamefly is great. Ive did my research on all the rent game by mail companies on the web and I decided to go with gamefly. The good points are they have a huge selection of games but theres still a few missing here and there I guess. Release dates are pretty close if not the actual release dates of new games. Pretty much all games are available for immediate rental and no long wait times like alot of other companies. Shipping times are alright I guess for me. These guys are on west coast and Im on east coast so that probably has alot to do with it but it usually takes about 3-5 days to receive after I get the email saying they shipped. Notification via email of them receiving the game back and them sending out next game is great.The games come individually in a basic sleeve with 4 stickers and preforated(did i spell that right?) edge to seal it. It that doesnt say anything to do with games or anything on the sleeve so less chance of a game being stolen although a couple times the sleeve was kinda open more then it should be. You tear off the front cover and the same sleeve becomes your postage paid return envelope. Now my only problem with these guys is the rental program. They only offer a 2 game out at a time $21 plus rental program. Alot of other companies offer 2, 3, and even 5 games out at a time rental programs for pretty good prices and the 2 game programs are cheaper. Im sure limiting everyone to 2 games out a time is what keeps availability of games at such a great level though. I reccomend gamefly but hey I could be wrong......

Edited by scotty6004, 05 May 2003 - 08:52 AM.

#3 Sookie32

Sookie32

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 09:38 PM

I have been really happy with them. They have very clean (scratch free) disks, and the shipping (to wisconsin from LA) has been 2 days each way. Good selection and release dates are right on time! I would rate it 4.5/5

#4 eightbit

eightbit

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:28 PM

I tried it but I recently cancelled it. They have a great selection. I got the games I wanted, even new releases. The problem I had was the turn around. It took about 4 days each way to send and receive games so the most games I could see being able to rent in a month if I always kept one to play was 4. I can rent 4 for the same price locally so I didn't see the advantage. My local store has a great selection and I get it for a week when I rent from them. To make it worth it to me gamefly would need to lower their price or give me 3 games at a time for the $20 monthly fee.

#5 rahula

rahula

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Interests:boose,food and chicks. Yeah Xbox too..
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:31 PM

I tried all the online rental programs like redoctane.com, gamefly.com for game rental and netflix for my dvd movie rental. I like the fact that gamefly has plenty of selections but the only draw back is you can only rent out 2 games at a time and the maximum number of game that I rent during a month is around 11 because both delivery and return took 4 days to deliver and return. I am in nothern california and delivery time is within 2 days. Redoctane is cheaper than gamefly but they usually said the games is temporary out or short wait etc. I even try dragon.ca for import games rental when ps2 was hot now I give up that idea. What the point of renting if u don't understand what the game is saying?. Online rental games are pretty much better than hollywood or blockbuster rental in cost. For netflix movie rental, that service is awsome. I have been member over 2 years and i can't find any complain at all. I usually do the research based on service location, selection availibility, number of rental item out at one time, price and quality service.

====why am i plaing just one game over n over instead of playing 100+ ===??? blink.gif

#6 Wes Ide

Wes Ide

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 May 2003 - 07:42 AM

I tried RedOctane. I loved the idea but so many titles were on "Long Wait" with the majority of the rest on "Short Wait." Old or some unpopular ones were on "Available Now." I also loved the fact that they had imports, because I wanted FFX2. However, that's not on their list.
I found out about GameFly and they offered a 10-day free trial. Well, almost all of their titles were readily available. I've decided to stick with them. It's as simple as this:

RedOctane Pros
$18.95 per month

RedOctane Cons
Most games not readily available
Imports available for PS2
PS1 & Dreamcast games

GameFly Pros
Almost all games readily available

GameFly Cons
$21.95 per month
No imports
No PS1 or Dreamcast games

That's the jist of any comparison between the two. As far as turnaround time, I think RedOctane is a little faster, but it's too early for me to tell. But here's why I chose GameFly: The whole point of joining up is to HAVE the games. I didn't see any imports I liked and I'm not really into DC or PS1 games anymore. But Gamefly had Grandia XTreme for PS2, which RedOctane did not. Well, if I've gotta pay $2 more a month but it means I get the games I want, I'm fine with it. I mean, here is a list of games I had in my Queue for RedOctane (before I ended my subscription with them) as compared to the same list at Gamefly:

user posted image
This is RedOctane

user posted image
And here is the same list the same day at GameFly.

Need I say more?

#7 alf

alf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 08:54 AM

Gamefly is great. I bought cap vs snk from them and the disc was flawless. No problems with them what so ever

#8 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 August 2003 - 12:00 PM

I love gamefly. You can't complain about two games at a time because that's a rule with the rental places I go to as well (to stop 25 year olds like me from renting five games at a time while 12 year olds can't find the games they want wink.gif ). I get about 8-10 games a month if I'm lucky. That's fine because renting 10 games a month at Blockbuster would cost me $60.00 before tax.

It's well worth the price if you're an avid gamer. I would like to see imports but I guess it's not really worth it to them since the bulk of their clients aren't able to play different region games.

#9 cdcopier

cdcopier

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 05:36 PM

I know this post is a little late, but i wanted to share my experience also. I recently started using gamefly. I have rented 4 in about 2 weeks. The shipping takes about 2 days to get here (east coast) and 2 to get back. I send mine back out the same day i get it...if you know what i mean wink.gif i havent not had any problems with them so far. Their customer service is speedy...(wanted to check the status of a game i shipped) I am very pleased with them so far. I would consider buying games from them, and i dont ususally buy games but i like their service and the tend to be cheaper. I hope other will learn from our comments and try their service for themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users