• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 freeme88

freeme88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 01:50 AM

I've been trying to connect my x-box to my PC but all I get are "operation timed out" messages. I've tired everything I read in the forums and at http://evox.xboxhack...networking.html but everything I try still doesn't seem to get me any closer to connecting. So I figured I'd try and start from the beginning again so here goes....

I have my Xbox set for YES on both "setup network" and "use static IP". And as for "Line Status", it shows on the Xbox as 100/Full Duplex so at least something is going right.
My PC is set up to use IP 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
When I try ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.3/ I get "operation timed out"

And with WS_FTP I get:
Connecting to 192.168.0.3:21
Connect failure

Any tips on what I could try doing or reading next to get me on the right track?
Thanks for your time!

#2 Catfishjohn

Catfishjohn

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 02:27 AM

Just a thought...

But I think you need to put the username & password in your connection string. I'm using FlashFXP, and in the connection manager there's a place to enter that information. Also, did you double check in the system configuration menu via the XBox to verify that it's IP address is .03 instead of relying on whats specified in the ini file ?

Also, I *THINK* by having the network setup enabled it overrides the static IP address you entered in the ini file, but I'm not sure. I've posted that question here in the forums with no response but it makes sense to me.

And finally, you might want to add some additional information such as which bios and desktop you're using. And are you trying to connect via a router, a bridge, or a 2nd NIC in your PC ? If it's a NIC, are you using a cross-over cable ? I assume it's Evox as thats the forums you were searching in.... But additional information might generate more responses to your questions.

Just some thoughts from a beginner...

#3 freeme88

freeme88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 11:31 AM

OK, let's see what I can add here.....Yes, I've used the xbox name and password in my connection manager and in WS_FTP. Also verified on the Xbox that "xbox" is my assigned password.

Here's my info from EVOX:
Network
type (nothing)
IP 0.0.0.0
Line Status 100/Full Duplex
Setup Network YES
Use Static IP YES
IP 192.168.0.3
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
DNS 0.0.0.0
DNS (2nd time) 0.0.0.0

BIOS Version:Unknown
Kernal Version: 1.00.4975.01

On my EVOX desktop on the bottom right reads:
No Disc
IP: 0.0.0.0
RemoteX v1.8.3682

I'm running WindowsXP(home) and using a crossover cable and my PC is seeing the xbox but I just can't get it to connect via FTP. Hope this new info helps.

#4 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:18 PM

enter the following only:

That's all you need to enter using quick connection via Flash FXP.
Don't forget typing in "xbox" as your username and password.

#5 bassic88

bassic88

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:47 PM

make sure your network card on your pc is not disabled. i had this sort of problem a few times when my nic became mysteriously disabled. start>settings>control panel>network connections>network card (right click, enable)

#6 PEZx44

PEZx44

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:51 PM

with xbox on, check your network settings (you should have this option on your dashboard, depending on how your .ini is set up. it may be in a sub-menu under "settings" or something like that). you should be able to change the settings here for your ip address. type in 192.168.0.3.
make sure your gateway matches the gateway your pc is using.
restart your xbox from the reset command on the dashboard menu.
in the corner of your dashboard, you should now see the correct ip address (192.168.0.3) instead of the incorrect one (0.0.0.0).
try ftping again. if it still doesn't work, try pinging the xbox (start-->run-->"cmd"-->"ping 192.168.0.3") to make sure your network recognizes the xbox is there. if no reply, take your xbox and throw it against the wall really hard. this should fix all of your problems.

#7 Th3-0n3

Th3-0n3

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 06:50 PM

My experience: zonealarm or any other firewall has to be closed else I can't connect to my xbox.
Just my 2 cents

#8 freeme88

freeme88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:26 PM

I tried Flash FXP using the ip listed on my xbox : 192.168.0.3 and "xbox" as the name and password but no luck there.

And I made sure my card was enabled. I'm showing a connection on both my xbox and pc but they just won't talk to each other. Usually it just shows as 0 bytes recieved and lots of bytes sent. Status: "connected"

I verified my xbox IP as 192.168.0.3 and that the gateway 192.168.0.1 is the same gateway as on the pc. My tcp/ip properties are 192.168.0.1 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
When I reboot the x-box, I get the "a network cable is unplugged" on my pc and then when it comes back up I get "local area connection is now connected" speed 100 Mbps but the evox desktop shows IP:0.0.0.0
Tried pinging but all I get are "request timed out" Packets: Sent=4 Recieved=0 Lost=4 (100% loss)......not sure if I want to throw it against the wall just yet though! smile.gif

I'm not using zone alarm or firewall

Hope You all can help me out on this a bit more cause I'm not ready to give up just yet!
Thanks for the help so far!!

#9 freeme88

freeme88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:30 PM

To clarify what I meant about "showing a connection on both my x-box and pc" is that the lie status on the x-box is showing 100/full duplex but I guess that doesn't mean squat because the IP still shows 0.0.0.0
Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the help so far!!

#10 PEZx44

PEZx44

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 02:18 PM

if the correct ip is listed in your ini file, but evox is still showing your xbox ip as 0.0.0.0, change the ip using the evox dash and then reboot. you should now show the correct ip.

#11 freeme88

freeme88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 03:25 PM

What I meant about the xbox showing the IP of 0.0.0.0 is in on the top line in the settings/info section of evox (or on the main page depeneding on the evox skin). That can't be changed. That's supposed to say the IP of whatever is connected to it (my PC) right? If I disconnect my link cable, the IP address goes blank and the line status changes to "No Link!" on the x-box and when I reconnect the cable the IP changes to 0.0.0.0 and the line status changes to 100/full duplex
Still no luck here sad.gif

#12 MeryD

MeryD

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 03:41 PM

U should try with another cable.
If u direct connect do not forget to use crosscable.

#13 PEZx44

PEZx44

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 03:55 PM

i understand what you're talking about, but you can still change it from the dashboard. do you have a link on your menu to view the network settings? yes, i know you can see the ip on the main screen, but there's also an option to change it through evox. if you do not have this option off your main menu (or off one of your sub menus), add this to your ini:
Section "System Utils"
{
Item "Settings",ID_Settings
Item "Flash BIOS",ID_Flash_Bios
Item "Backup",ID_Backup
Item "Skins",ID_Skins
}
On your menu, Click on "System Utils"
Now Click on "Settings"
Now go down to "IP Address"
Using Left,Down,Up,Right on your digital pad, you can change the settings.
Go back to the main menu.
Reset the XBox
Now instead of 0.0.0.0, you should see whatever you just input as your IP

#14 PEZx44

PEZx44

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 03:56 PM

it may be labeled as static IP, i don't really remember right now and i'm not sitting in front of my xbox.(in any case, it's something like the 3rd line down).

#15 freeme88

freeme88

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, I know what your talking about. I'm able to change the IP on the x-box itself through EVOX because that's set to 192.168.0.3 but what I'm talking about is the first 4 lines in the settings menu that say "Type", "IP", "Line status", and "ethernet MAC address". All of those are shaded in meaning they can't be changed just like the "Harddisk" and "Bios" settings are. They are all getting their info from somewhere else because as soon as I plug the cable in, the "IP" and "line status" changes.
I'm gonna go buy a new crossover cable because this just doesn't make sense why it isn't working.
Thanks for the help so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users