Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:08 PM

It seems like a simple thing, but XBMC isn't the same without the start up .wav sound. I read some where about a long and complicated procedure to get it back, but that has to be done with every new build. Please re-enable it, or get a setting in the GUI to turn it on and off.

My Programs... I see this has taken a drastic change. It now no longer singles out .xbe's, and the shortcuts on the side bar of the the screen are gone. I understand removing the single'ing(sp?) out of .xbe's is because it clears up a lot of code and make programming easier for you guys. Although I don't quite like it as much, I'll respect your decision on that one. But why the shortcuts on the side bar? It now seems bare, and looks funny. I know in the old builds the first thing I would do is add a Dashboards section in there... no longer can. How hard can it be to get those shortcuts back in? If it does require a lot of coding, lmk, and I'll shut my trap about it.

Trainers... Sounds stupid again, but the new little pic showing a trainer is present for particular games looks a little too bold, if you will. It detracts away from games icon. The transparent one of a parent and child was perfect IMHO. It wasn't distracting at all when it was transparent, and it was very easy to see when the trainer was enabled, being yellow.

MC360... While really cool, it seems unstable at the moment. I vote for it being left out for a couple builds until it is stable. And even when it is, the skin should be packaged with the T3ch builds every so often. It now takes me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, a really long time to download it. MC360 seems more of a "fun" skin rather than a serious, professional looking skin anyways. I'm not saying MC360 isn't professionally made, just, really isn't ideal for a Meia Center like PMIII is. MC360 should be packaged with the T3ch build, say every 3-4 releases IMO. Imbetween those, fans of the skin can simply download it off of Blackbolt's site. And when an upcoming release of XBMC packaged with MC360 is coming out, Team Blackbolt would have had plenty of time imbetween to fix everything that was wrong with the first. PMIII should be the central theme of XBMC now and forever. Since 666, however, it seems as if MC360 is taking over... seeing as how the mc360 logo is the default one for start-up now, and the start-up .wav is gone because it wouldn't be suiting.

Please keep in mind these are MY opinions. I don't mean to start any flame wars or hurt any feelings. Don't tell me the whole "If you don't like it, don't use it" story, as XBMC will always be my home. Even with these little grievances, XBMC still blows all other dashes out of the water. But I can't help but think this great dash could be even better if it went back to some of it's roots(XBMC-CVS_2006-04-27-T3CH).

Please X-S, chime in and tell what you think about these issues.

#2 slumberpod77

slumberpod77

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:music, music, music, computers, audio engineering, gaming, code monkeying, music again
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:35 PM

uh this is not a very good way to get your "issues" resolved.

first-every single new T3CH build that comes out gets a stickied thread specifically about it. this is where you post feedback/preliminary bug reports about said build.

second-please actually read and follow how things within XBMC are changing, your "problems" seem mostly to be XBMC acting as it is supposed to act.

third-please post each issue you have as its own thread, this makes it easier for them to get resolved individually, and removes the need for people like me to post big huge posts like the one i am currently writing.

individual issues:
-My Programs: RTFM, then read the current build's stickied thread. pay attention to Spiff's post, he is the dev who made most of the recent refinements to the My Programs section.
-Trainers: you don't like it, then make your own. use Photoshop or GIMP if you're poor.
-MC360:

if you had been following the scene for the past year or so (like i have), you would know that there have been like hundreds of people saying "once the 360 skin comes out, i start using XBMC!" etc. basically the scene in general has been clamoring about this skin ever since it was announced, thus the release with it included.

the point that MC360 should not neccessarily be included in every official build is valid (i feel), but only because the two projects are not really directly linked together. i believe the main reason they are still released together is that the skin engine is still getting some changes/refinements/bug fixes applied to it.

it took me roughly 3 minutes to download the 666 release, so maybe you should change the methods you use to acquire your builds...

-Startup.wav-XBMC is supposed to act this way. startup sounds are now a per-skin thing AFAIK, which allows skin authors to better determine the way their skins act (similair to the Startup window). i will post a tut on this when i get the time.

#3 Boydster

Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:12 AM

first-every single new T3CH build that comes out gets a stickied thread specifically about it. this is where you post feedback/preliminary bug reports about said build.
That thread is clutter beyond all reason with bug reports. If I had put this in there nobody would have seen it.

second-please actually read and follow how things within XBMC are changing, your "problems" seem mostly to be XBMC acting as it is supposed to act.
There's not a single thing I posted about that is an error. I was stating a few designs that have been implemented that I believe could have been better, hence I'm giving the team a heads up from the public.

third-please post each issue you have as its own thread, this makes it easier for them to get resolved individually, and removes the need for people like me to post big huge posts like the one i am currently writing.
Possibly too many threads? Would people enjoy seeing 4 different threads from me?

individual issues:
-Trainers: you don't like it, then make your own. use Photoshop or GIMP if you're poor.
Where is this picture stored in the dash? Is it a normal .png or .jpg?

-Startup.wav-XBMC is supposed to act this way. startup sounds are now a per-skin thing AFAIK, which allows skin authors to better determine the way their skins act (similair to the Startup window). i will post a tut on this when i get the time.

So this was Chokemaniak's(sp?) decision to remove the start up sound... And now that I think about it, it was also his decision to remove the shortcuts on the left panel since that has to do with the skin itself.

I'm just sad to see XBMC turning away from my perfect dashboard is all. A few things could be edited by myself to get standard again, but I really enjoy updating the dash every 2 weeks or so to see what's new, and would rather not have to edit everything every time.

The team won't do anything to meet only one person's needs. Does anyone else agree at all?

EDIT: To go with GIMP, a free photoshop, also check out openoffice.org for a free MS Office. Awesome programs they are. Thought I'd share.

Edited by Boydster, 13 June 2006 - 04:16 AM.

#4 killerbootsman

killerbootsman

X-S Genius

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:sports music xbox
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:40 AM

Where can i get the newest version of Project Mayhem II? That is the only thing i don't like about the new builds... it doesn't support my Project Mayhem II anymore.

thanks

#5 Azin

Azin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:00 AM

I would like to see streaming video back "like being able to use the streaming tv pack again"

#6 spiff

spiff

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:36 AM

startup.wav:
no. we removed this for a reason. redundancy is a big nono.

my programs:
we won't change it back. adding the buttons on the left hand side is trivial (if you go to our forums there's a nice little tut). nobody complained that those were removed in music, videos, pictures. why should they be there in programs?

trainers; tell choke (i agree btw).

mc360; not related to team xbmc at all so your points are m00t. what the builders do ain't our business, you won't find a single trace of mc360 in our cvs.

there. that's the team opinion on your stuff.

finally, a general tip. if you want your feature reqs to really be noticed by the team, post at our forums.

#7 Boydster

Boydster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:36 PM

my programs:
we won't change it back. adding the buttons on the left hand side is trivial (if you go to our forums there's a nice little tut). nobody complained that those were removed in music, videos, pictures. why should they be there in programs?
Let us vote. Make a poll.

trainers; tell choke (i agree btw).
Coolness. Now, where can this choke be reached at? Or could somebody on the inside let em know?

finally, a general tip. if you want your feature reqs to really be noticed by the team, post at our forums.

Will do. Thanks.

#8 seajay1221

seajay1221

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:34 AM

dude, instead of trying to speak for the people with the voting thing why don't you just change it for yourself? you're the person who doesn't like it, and as spiff said there's a tut on the official forums. as for who choke is, there are these crazy new things called search engines. (although it would help to look for chokemaniac)

#9 Dr Dimento

Dr Dimento

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:55 AM

The team won't do anything to meet only one person's needs. Does anyone else agree at all?

Yep

PMIII is awsome. If it ain't the team making that new 360 skin default, then i guess i can't blame them, but someone along the line (the person putting the t3ch builds together with mc360) has extremely bad taste, and extremely poor judgement since the mc360 skin is not only buggy as hell, but crap anyway. PMIII should forever be the default in my not so humble opinion. As for me, i'll be sticking with last month's build for quite a while.

if you had been following the scene for the past year or so (like i have), you would know that there have been like hundreds of people saying "once the 360 skin comes out, i start using XBMC!"

That's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. So it has gone to the buggy MC360 skin to please a bunch of n00bs who don't even USE XBMC?!?

I'm just sad to see XBMC turning away from my perfect dashboard is all.

I whole-heartedly agree. However, last month's build seems to be pretty good. I'm going to stick with that until something breaks.

Last time i did that my post was deleted and i was threatened with being banned. Save your effort on blaming me as i did search (apparantly it was fucked up at the time) prior to posting, and what was sited as the second "suggestion" in the threatening PM to me was actually part of the first, but i guess in a haste to be an ass it was overlooked.

Of course, i couldn't even reply because the PM's are sent from an account you can't reply back to. Not that i expect i'll be missed, but i'll never touch that forum again.

Edited by Dr Dimento, 14 June 2006 - 05:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users