NanoStudios

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:50 PM

I installed Windows Vista on my machine, and I noticed that Media Center comes with a file called "XboxMCX-V.XEX". Someone mentioned that this file is sent to the Xbox 360 when the user activates the Media Center Extender option. Has there been any research into this file? Since MS did not just include it with the Xbox 360, I would assume that they will update it in the future, so they can't just compare a checksum of the file sent to the 360, because it would change with each new version. Is it possible to swap this file with another signed XEX? I don't have an Xbox 360 yet, so I'm not able to check.

For those who want to find the file, it is installed at :

C:\Windows\ehome\MCX\X02\XboxMCX-V.XEX

#2 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE(NanoStudios @ Jun 14 2006, 12:57 PM) View Post

I installed Windows Vista on my machine, and I noticed that Media Center comes with a file called "XboxMCX-V.XEX". Someone mentioned that this file is sent to the Xbox 360 when the user activates the Media Center Extender option. Has there been any research into this file? Since MS did not just include it with the Xbox 360, I would assume that they will update it in the future, so they can't just compare a checksum of the file sent to the 360, because it would change with each new version. Is it possible to swap this file with another signed XEX? I don't have an Xbox 360 yet, so I'm not able to check.

For those who want to find the file, it is installed at :

C:\Windows\ehome\MCX\X02\XboxMCX-V.XEX

Along with a signature that guards against tampering, the XEX header also includes a media flag. This flag limits the source from which the executable will be executed. IIRC the Media Centre XEXs have a unique combination of media flags not present on any other XEX. Presumably they permit the unique network delivery method and execution of the MC XEX.

Edited by PedrosPad, 14 June 2006 - 01:18 PM.

#3 NanoStudios

NanoStudios

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

I thought the media flags were only checked for physical media, I didn't know they were checked for digital delivery as well sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users