Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:10 PM

Just click it

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

good read.

it would seem they plan on having even less PS3 stock then they did of 360 stock (if that's even possible).

Though I don't know that the demand will be as high as they anticipate. I certainly believe the demand will be less then that of the PS2. The high price point will turn quite a few away.

Waiting in line Sam's Club for my 360 out of 20 of us only 4 (including myself) were buying it for personal use. The rest of the people in line were parents buying it for their kids. Some of them planned on playing it themselves as well but it was obvious the driving factor was that they planned on making it a christmas gift. Most if not all of them agreed that the $400 price was already high enough to make them think long and hard before deciding to buy it.

In my experience there are typically 3 groups you'll see in launch lines
1. High school/College students buying it for personal use
2. Single or DINK college grads buying it for personal use
3. Parents buying it for their children

In generally Groups 1 and 3 make up the majority (I'd say 80%+) of the launch line. They are also the groups with the least amount of money available to buy something like that.

So if I had to guess I'd say excluding the hardcore fanatics who would sell a kidney before they missed launch day you'll only be seeing group 2 and a few stragglers from groups 1 and 3 that belong to the middle-upper class or higher.

#3 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

dont forget number 4) those who buy the grill just to sell it and make good profit.

after all of the news about people selling 360's for $1k+ i see this being the fourth reason some people would purchase one (like me).

#4 KaRiL

KaRiL

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:30 PM

[quote name='KAGE360' date='Jun 14 2006, 08:05 AM' post='3475355']
dont forget number 4) those who buy the grill just to sell it and make good profit.

Probably the only reason I would get a PS3 at launch

I'm so glad I waited to get the 360 because I got the games I really wanted, instead of buying crap launch titles just to have something to play.

#5 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:45 PM

Yea send me a PM if you wanna preorder, gimme $2000 and ill even through in a 80 gig HDD biggrin.gif

#6 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

Our favorite head figure has spoken up on the issue of shortages...

Sony President on PS3 Shortages: Bring it On
Jun 15, 2006 @ 1:59pm

Summary:
In an interview with NikkeiBP, PlayStation 3 mastermind Ken Kutaragi says that he's "looking forward to facing the dilemma" of global PS3 shortages. Sony currently plans to ship one million PS3s per month after launch.

Full Text:
In the interview, translated by GamerNode.com, Kutaragi also explains how a "quasi-simultaneous" worldwide PS3 launch was an especially important decision for Sony, as "it is no longer acceptable for us to limit our initial launch to a certain area."

Kutaragi goes on to once again compare the PS3 to a personal computer, adding that built-to-order PS3s are a distinct possibility. He also predicts Sony could release larger hard drives, up to 120GB, as early as next year. Kutaragi also mentions that the PS3 has been designed using a "modularized format," which will make removing and installing new components a simple procedure.

In terms of first-generation launch games, Kutaragi noted that the PS3 will launch with over 10 titles, all of which will take full advantage of the PS3's powerful hardware. "The world has obviously underestimated our progress in software development," Kutaragi says in the piece. "In the 20 years I've worked in the gaming industry, I have never seen so many [playable games this early in a console's development]."

http://www.gametrail...ews.php?id=3342

how can it be "so early" in the consoles development when the actual console is late? also its amusing that there is no one worrying or crying that the ps3 is already maxed out with his comment of games taking full advantage of the ps3's powerful hardware, any time a developer mentioned something like this in the 360 launch days.

maybe this is what he was talking about with games running at 120fps, in 4 years with an upgraded Cell, more memory, and a faster GPU it would run GTHD at 120fps tongue.gif

i wouldnt be surprised if things got more confusing the closer we get to launch.

#7 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

those games were taking FULL advantage of the ps3? how sad.....

#8 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:51 PM

riiiiiidge racerrrrrr!

#9 ConteZero76

ConteZero76

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:39 AM

Well... even MSDOS takes "full advantage of hardware"... expecially if you tune all the .sys and .exe drivers needed to load real mode "drivers".
In fact even whey you say "No bootable disk found. Press [ENTER] to reboot." you're actually taking full advantage of a X2 4000+ Athlon64, it's just that the hardware is "fully advantaged" while reading the keyboard controller in a endless (and stupid) loop.

From a "common sense" point of view there's nothing new... big mounth is just talking to his market (japanese, that means something between hyperconsumistic and not really knowgeable) about the console.
Don't keep me wrong, it's just that japan has a different approach to "hardware promotion"... japanese people invented the job of "talking bad about the concurrent"!

You shoud take "mass market" message and real "informations" on different plans... right now only some sheet and tech info can be considered "information" while the rest is just... something to catch customers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users