youdontknow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:38 AM

I just bought a 32" lcd tv for $850, the only probelm was that it didnt have hdmi, but i thought it wasnt that big of a deal since it had the component video, which i needed to connect the 360 for high def. but now i was wondering when i buy the ps3 will i be able to watch blu-ray dvd's on my tv? well thanx in advance

#2 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(youdontknow @ Jun 16 2006, 12:45 AM) View Post

I just bought a 32" lcd tv for $850, the only probelm was that it didnt have hdmi, but i thought it wasnt that big of a deal since it had the component video, which i needed to connect the 360 for high def. but now i was wondering when i buy the ps3 will i be able to watch blu-ray dvd's on my tv? well thanx in advance

you will be able to watch blue ray on the ps3 just fine, but only until the movie studios decide to start using the copy protection technology, after that if you are not playing through a digital signal (like HDMI) the movies will be downconverted to low rez.

#3 youdontknow

youdontknow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

how low rez will it be?

#4 ConteZero76

ConteZero76

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 12:22 AM

According to what I've readed so far there's no downsample for analog transmission.
This means that you can see your BD.DVD with a component cable up to 1080i without trouble.
Higher resolutions, however, are been restricted... the meaning is this:
There's a new toy everyone's interested, that boy is the next standard into digital home media video interface protection, or "HDCP".
To get specifics and codes (and, uh, a signing key) for HDCP you've to accept an agreement, called "analog sunset" or something like it.
With "AS" your society state that they won't do other analogic media or formats for video in/out.
So this means that everything you're going to get in the future is only digital interfaces, no more SoG, no more Y-Cr-Cb, and no more analogic interfaces (why ? because anyone could catch a grabber and rip an high definition analog signal...).

#5 Ickypoopy

Ickypoopy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

If the ICT (Image Constraint Token) is enabled on the disc, it will downsample to 960x540p (half of 1080p) when used over analog outputs, or digital outputs not implementing HDCP.

#6 youdontknow

youdontknow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

so what your saying is that if im connected through the component video (red, green and blue) it will downgrade to about 480p, even though those cables are capable of receiving 1080i (like for the 360)?

#7 Kamasutra318

Kamasutra318

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:As a Computer Engineer, I try to learn as much as I can about electronics and software. Also games.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

He's saying that if the ICT is enabled for the movie it will be downscaled to 540p (one-quarter the resolution of 1080p). And component cables are capable of producing 1080p signals , not just 1080i.

Edited by Kamasutra318, 18 June 2006 - 10:35 PM.

#8 youdontknow

youdontknow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:19 AM

oh ok, so if the ICT is not enabled i will be able to get the full 1080p signal, right? Is there a way to check what movies are going to have the ICT enabled or most of them are going to have it?

#9 Kamasutra318

Kamasutra318

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:As a Computer Engineer, I try to learn as much as I can about electronics and software. Also games.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:39 AM

Most companies have agreed publicly that they will not implement it until at least 2010, but who knows if they'll keep their word. At that time it may even say on the box whether it uses ICT, but again it's difficult to tell the future.

Edited by Kamasutra318, 19 June 2006 - 02:39 AM.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:09 PM

suposidly movies that use the ICT will be required to clearly state it on the box...

Also while some companies have agreed not to enable it until 2010, others have only agreed to hold off until October of this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users