G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

OK, I'm sure some of you have tried to remive this piece, say to paint the HDD case or something, then wish to put it back on. The problem is, this thing is fairly thin and weak, and the force needed to remove it often makes a crease in it or something.

Well, here's how you avoid all that!

1. Heat the HDD case ***Very slightly*** with a hair dryer or something, it softens the glue.

2. Now here's the important part. Most attack it from one and and try to peel it up, and it creases in the center. The key is to lightly pry up ALL the way around with a sharp knife.

IPB Image

3. Work all the way around, only pry enough until you hear the glue separating slightly.

IPB Image

4. Once you have gone all the way around, go back to one side and start to pry it up:

IPB Image

5. Remove it! If you were careful you will now have a perfectly removed bezel with no scratches, bends, or creases.

Cheers,

-Tim

#2 govols3564

govols3564

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:45 PM

thanks a bunch

#3 juanman

juanman

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

i think you may have the same pocket knife as me, gerber?

#4 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(juanman @ Jun 17 2006, 04:59 PM) View Post

i think you may have the same pocket knife as me, gerber?

haha yup

#5 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

noice stuff m8 wink.gif

#6 [-elmo-]

[-elmo-]

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE(G0t M4xx 21 @ Jun 17 2006, 03:42 PM) View Post

1. Heat the HDD case ***Very slightly*** with a hair dryer or something, it softens the glue.

If you dont have a hair dryer (cuz you're a guy) u can also stick the case in the freezer for 30-60 minutes. Then continue the same process as above. Freezing the glue does the same thing as heating it up.

#7 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:55 AM

^^^^ if you think about that.. it made no sense what so ever. Its kinda like saying watering something is the same thing as drying something.. ya know?

#8 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:28 AM

the freezer trick as actually a valid point, but only under certain conditions:

Heating up the glue makes it easier to remove because it melts it and softens it, so the bond can come apart easier

Freezing the glue will make it harder, but, will also make it more brittle, so applying enough force will break the glue. This worked great for Xbox 1 jewels and stuff which were pretty strong, but on a piece like this, using a lot of force is bad (only bends the piece), so I wouldn't reccomend doing it.

If you don't have access to a heat source, I just tried it, it also works if you don't heat it up at all. Just work your way around the bezel more slowly and you'll be fine.

Edited by G0t M4xx 21, 18 June 2006 - 07:30 AM.

#9 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:35 AM

Added to Tutorials located here.

#10 KolosoK

KolosoK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:10 AM

Does this mean that floss can work too?

#11 [-elmo-]

[-elmo-]

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Jun 17 2006, 11:02 PM) View Post

^^^^ if you think about that.. it made no sense what so ever. Its kinda like saying watering something is the same thing as drying something.. ya know?

sicknasty, you obviously have never modded an original xbox, as freezing the glue underneath the jewel was just as common as heating it up. freezing and heating do the same thing in the sense that it makes the glue less sticky.

it was a valid suggestion to those who dont have a heat source.

you have been a member for 4 months, and you have 1000 posts. dont you have a job, or school, or a girlfriend, something????

#12 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:19 AM

i was simply pointing out how wrong that SOUNDS. i know it works. And yes, i clearly have modded plenty of xboxes... and first of all, dont drag me into this. If you wanna start flaming me, PM me smile.gif No need to ruin a perfectly good thread with an argument completely irrelevant to whats going on.

#13 sinister slipknot

sinister slipknot

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Jun 18 2006, 08:26 AM) View Post

i was simply pointing out how wrong that SOUNDS. i know it works. And yes, i clearly have modded plenty of xboxes... and first of all, dont drag me into this. If you wanna start flaming me, PM me smile.gif No need to ruin a perfectly good thread with an argument completely irrelevant to whats going on.

I was going to say the same thing, besides just look at your sig, its clear that you've modded xboxs.

on topic: good tut, but im sure i accidentally pealed mine off, without bends or scratches.

#14 [-elmo-]

[-elmo-]

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:57 PM

sicknasty,

it wasnt an attempt to flame you, and i couldnt agree more....i hate it when good threads turn to sh*t also. sorry if it was offensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users