130 replies to this topic

#91 lardlad123

lardlad123

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(BrooksyX @ May 21 2007, 09:16 AM) View Post

I am thinking about doing something like this to an extra 360 that I picked up for cheap. I have few questions before I try it though.

-Could I use an extra floppy or IDE cable for all the wire needed?
-Can I just cut off the vga port from an old video card and use it instead of buying one?
-Can I use my cheap 30 watt soldering iron from radio shack or should I buy something better with like 15 watts?

-I used the exact wire, I think its 30 awg guage wire
-I pretty much did that by desoldering it from a fried card
-I used a 15 watt but I'm sure It'll work with a 30 watt, but don't hold it to the board for too long

Thanks for the guide, tried it out on my 17' lcd and it looks great. So I decided to buy an official cable to be more tidy and neat.

Edited by lardlad123, 22 June 2008 - 11:05 AM.

#92 fableman

fableman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

I've done it either, but I noticed a few problems: colors are like dried out abit (not vivid) and I always hear somekind of tiny buzz in my speakers (bad shielding?). Any ideas?

#93 Fuzzymannerz

Fuzzymannerz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Many interests, go to my website for full info about me.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Great tutorial man, been messing around with stuff for a while now but never really been confident with soldering, never attempted it before but this makes me want to have a go and ditch the messy electrical tape.
All I need now is a soldering iron, I think I might have the rest laying around somewhere. haha

#94 biopcb

biopcb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

just did this mod, used some network cable pairs to do it biggrin.gif looks sweet on monitor. the audio jack was a pain. my jack had all its legs on same side to i tryed super glue, no go, poped right off when i plug speakers in, i had to make a bracket to solder to av shield then solder bracket to jacks side clips. little extra work but came out great. house still smells like melted plastic from modding the case >.<

#95 biopcb

biopcb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

since no editing. just adding something. my other monitor wouldnt work. i had to wire a switch between monitor_id and ground on the av header to make it work. i soldiered the switch to the usb/ethernet port shroud, worked out nicely. sucks of i ever get wireless adapter id have to make it internal or make a slot on the back of it to make room for my switch. ill post pics when i get a chance.

#96 biopcb

biopcb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

my vga mod

IPB Image

attached the switch to ethernet port. some odd reason my montor didnt use monitor_id pin.

Edited by biopcb, 10 August 2008 - 06:52 PM.

#97 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

That looks pretty nice, can you post a better pic?

#98 biopcb

biopcb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

maybe when i get mt friends cam. i use my crappy cellphone for that pic lol maybe ill lay back of the 360 on my scanner and try it that way lol

Edited by biopcb, 10 August 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#99 biopcb

biopcb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

heres a scan of back, odd came out in b/w ah well

IPB Image

#100 bigheadnick

bigheadnick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

Is it possible to add an hdmi port like you added the vga? to older consoles that dont have the hdmi? Or would u also have to swap the older drive with a new one to make it work? Oh and take it easy on me if this is a stupid question cuz im a bit new to electronics.

#101 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:22 AM

It's not possible to add an HDMI port to an older console withough HDMI - but it *may* be possible to add HDMI to a "new" non-HDMI system (currently only used for refurbs, the "Opus" motherboard).

#102 bigheadnick

bigheadnick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

Oh, so its what programmed into the gpu to accept hdmi? And without the new mobos which are programmed for hdmi it cant be done< or something to that effect I guess.Im just wondering.,arent they both 1080? I thought the only advantage to hdmi was less clutter bcuz no component cables.I didnt realize it was affected by what mobo was in it.Oh I still got much to learn grasshopper.

btw how do u know an opus when u see it??

#103 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:19 AM

An Opus will only be inside a refurbished non-HDMI system, eg. you won't find one in a store. It's not the GPU that "doesn't accept HDMI", the old system's scaler (ANA) can't use HDMI, the new ones (HANA) can. The real advantage with HDMI is the 100% digital video signal, so you see the game exactly as it was intended. The downside is you'll probably have more noticeable aliasing (jaggies) in some games, but the improved contrast/brightness/clarity more than makes up for it.

#104 bigheadnick

bigheadnick

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

K thanks

#105 Demonhawk

Demonhawk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

I just completed this mod and I was semi successful. For the vga hookup I soldered all the ground connections together on the port and then for the connection itself I used a piece of cat 5 cable. The video looks great and I have the option of running it at 1650x1080.

The only problem I have is the audio sounds bad. There is a buzzing and when streaming things from netflix sometimes you can't hear all the sounds. Like voices will be really low but background sounds will be normal. I double checked all my connections and everything but I still have the problem.

Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users