18 replies to this topic

#1 ryb2001

ryb2001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:00 PM

Anybody know if its possible to add an external firewire HDD as the xbox's primary hdd??

#2 XBOXerPT

XBOXerPT

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:32 PM

the xbox doesn't have firewire so it's inpossivel... dont need more replys...

#3 ryb2001

ryb2001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:34 PM

yeah i know it doesnt have firewire, but cant you fit and run a firewire card off it?

#4 BEClueless

BEClueless

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:35 PM

I wouldn't say it was impossible... just very difficult. you could possibly derive some sort of a USB to firewire adaptor, and then plug the HD into that, and then write a driver for it, but it would be a lot of work.

#5 ryb2001

ryb2001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:39 PM

whys it easier to add usb ports than firewire??

and is it usb 2 that people are adding to their xbox's as i want a fast hdd connection and firewire or usb2 are the only real decent external options!

#6 maxgeek

maxgeek

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (BEClueless @ May 5 2003, 07:35 PM)
I wouldn't say it was impossible... just very difficult. you could possibly derive some sort of a USB to firewire adaptor, and then plug the HD into that, and then write a driver for it, but it would be a lot of work.

That would be pointless. Firewire is much faster then USB 1.x
So basicly you'd end up with a usb 1.x harddrive.

#7 XbOxGoD

XbOxGoD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:55 PM

before this post becomes a theoretical mess of crap. can i just remind you that external hard drives are seen as memory cards and cannot be used as a main hdd. and i would say it is impossible to add a firewire point to the xbox motherboard, as niether the chipset, bios or the motherboard itself are even designed to use firewire. so heres the solution. just use a big ide hdd

#8 ryb2001

ryb2001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:16 PM

right back to my original question, from a long long time ago

i have ordered an external usb 2.0 200gb hdd for my pc

i know that firwire + usb 2.0 is not compatible with the xbox

however, im sure it is possible to run another ide hdd externally?

therefore, if i bought this adaptor, i could constantly swap the drive from pc to xbox?

http://www.veryverye...ves/000013.html

#9 ryb2001

ryb2001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:37 PM

actually scrap that, that requires drivers being installed, but this doesnt:

http://www.deltronte...0210-525NIS.htm

i would of thought that would work then and be recognised as a diff drive by the xbox?

#10 TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 November 2003 - 01:49 AM

i wonder if there is a way to somehow manipulate the nic into some sort of firewire port? highly improbable but is it impossible? it'd be pretty sweet if it could be done

#11 cueball13

cueball13

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:27 AM

I'm sure you could get a usb hd working with linux, but not with any of the current evox/xbox apps out right now. You can add a second ide hd, but only one will be working at a time.

#12 Palmore

Palmore

ProjectDeck.Xbox-Scene.Com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:45 AM

Anything, and yes anything you plug into the USB ports on the xbox will be seen as a memory card, memory cards cannot launch XBEs. Thats the way it is.

Rumor mill.. The xbox will only see 64mb of that drive, as memory cards are limited to 64mb.
You might be able to play movies or songs etc off the drive, but NOT xbes.

if you run Linux, it can utilize the USB drive, but that's as far as you will get.

#13 ryb2001

ryb2001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 05:59 AM

but thats a completely separate ide-->usb converter so you could have a second hdd hooked up via ide, by having your 2nd idea bit slot into that converter and hey presto you usb external drive will work via ide, and not just be a memory card?

#14 Palmore

Palmore

ProjectDeck.Xbox-Scene.Com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (ryb2001 @ Nov 26 2003, 07:59 AM)
but thats a completely separate ide-->usb converter so you could have a second hdd hooked up via ide, by having your 2nd idea bit slot into that converter and hey presto you usb external drive will work via ide, and not just be a memory card?

Not sure exactly what you are saying there, I'm either too tired (just woke up) and reading it wrong, or it's worded wrong, can you clarify? "by having your 2nd idea bit slot into that converter"?

But anyway, from what I've gatherd, you are still not getting it, you CANNOT plug a usb cable into the xbox , hook ANY kind of conveter up to it, and use a hard drive. CANNOT, I don't care if you convert it from Firewire, to IDE to Serial ATA to SCSI to IEEE Back to IDE and then to USB. Once you plug that USB cable into the xbox it sees it as a memory card, did you not gather that from the first post? This has been looked over, discussed and discussed VARIOUS times in this forum, use the search button and see for your self. It wont work via USB it wont. The only think I can think of you can do to save face and still get a drive to work "usb" is have a USB hard drive, and a USB - IDE connector inside the xbox, but it wont REALLY be using USB, you'll have to take up your second IDE port and loose use of your DVD rom, unless of course you install a switch. But honestly what would be the point of spending the money on all of that when you can make an external hard drive cable that also includes the power source out of some old SCSI stuff? I've seen a tut or 2 floating around where someone wired up the 40pin IDE cable, and the 4pin molex power cable into one SCSI cable, plugged one end into the back of the box, and one end into the back of an external HDD enclosure, then splitting the cable back into the IDE and power adapters.

But all in all, no it WONT work, anything plugged INTO USB on the xbox WILL be seen as a memory card.

#15 Pele76

Pele76

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Palmore @ Nov 26 2003, 04:12 PM)
But all in all, no it WONT work, anything plugged INTO USB on the xbox WILL be seen as a memory card.

USB devices will be detected as what they are in Linux. A USB drive will work in Linux. And I wonder why they haven't added drivers for it in EvoX yet. I hope they will. However for now it will be detected as a Memorycard in M$ original OS.

And no. Not anything, not my keyboard. That is a keybord and not a memory card.

Edited by Pele76, 26 November 2003 - 03:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users