War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:51 AM

anyone not see a big difference after doing this mod?

i noticed my box was running a bit hotter after i changed the psu, so i decided to do the arctic silver 5 mod, but my cpu is still running around 140-145 f

#2 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:53 AM

you made sure to not put to much on, put it on the cpu AND heatsink, and spread out the thermal paste evenly before aplying the heatsink to the cpu?

#3 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:00 AM

yeah.. i put it on both... and i spread it out with a peice of paper really thin

#4 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:00 AM

you dont want it too thin, but not too thick. what kind of arctis silver was it? like ASIII or AS5?

#5 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:09 AM

Proper application instructions for Arctic Silver: Click Me
Follow the instructions on Application #9

Notice how they use just a tiny amount? Too much Arctic Silver hampers the heat transfer process.

... and don't expect your temps to drop immediately. It takes hours & hours of use (break-in period) before you start to see the results.

#6 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:20 AM

iuno... my gpu isnt usually hot at all, and now that is hot as fuck now too...

im thinking maybe this psu isnt too great..

#7 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:34 AM

yeah, so i redid this mod, following the instructions you posted

190 fucking degrees... shit shut off after like 10 min

had to have the case top off and the hd sitting outside the box to bring hte temp back down to 145

#8 ClintiePoo

ClintiePoo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:23 AM

QUOTE(War_Machine @ Jun 18 2006, 10:41 PM) View Post

yeah, so i redid this mod, following the instructions you posted

190 ... degrees... ... shut off after like 10 min

had to have the case top off and the hd sitting outside the box to bring hte temp back down to 145

Those are the best instructions you are going to get. Artic Silver is good stuff. Are you sure you did everything right?

#9 no0b123

no0b123

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Just xbox :p
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:25 AM

Did you not listen to Alex548? You need to let the Artic silver cure for about a day and a half. Then you will see the results. Use a small ammount (rice size) and spread it evenly over both the CPU and GPU. Then let it sit for a day and you should be ready to go. My xbox was 155F (xbox shuts off at 160F) and when I used Artic Silver 5 and waited a day, my xbox went down to 138F after hours of game play! I also reccomend buying a MCPX heatsink and upgrading to a 80mm fan. Then your xbox will never heat up.

Also, if you have a Ver 1.6 xbox, the temps are incorrect. I doubt your xbox made it to 190F.

#10 nightmare84j28

nightmare84j28

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:10 PM

The latest XBMC builds can read v1.6 temp's, thats how i noticed mine was reaching 70c because it was in a small closed area so i added a fan to the back biggrin.gif

War_Machine, if you didn't clean off all the old shit properly you WILL get worse temps than originally. The shit on the GPU takes forever to get off and if its even slightly sticky still then applying arctic silver over it wont yeild the results you hoped for.

In short, make sure you have fully removed the old shit.

#11 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

it also takes a few days for AS to really be used to its full potentiol. In a comp you usually run a few hours of a burn in program that runs the cpu at 100%, but I doubt that there is a program like that for the xbox. Have ou also checked to make sure the fan in the back is blowing? another problem could be that your new psu is overvolting and giving too many volts the the gpu/cpu core. Its not that bad unless its a like .4v increase. more volts = more heat wink.gif

#12 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(blame canada @ Jun 19 2006, 07:20 AM) View Post

In a comp you usually run a few hours of a burn in program that runs the cpu at 100%, but I doubt that there is a program like that for the xbox.

There are a few milkdrops that slam the Xbox is XBMC... What you can do, or what I have done when I upgraded my goop, was in Xbmc set my Max frame to 60, then watch for a vis that is totally wrecking your box (not litterally) but one that runs at very low frames about 25 to 30 and that you can tell is lagging a slight bit, hit back, lock the vis and let it sit for a few hours on a good playlist. And you should be set. smile.gif

#13 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

you never seize to amaze me everst tongue.gif

#14 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:59 AM

nah, my box is 1.1, and i was checking it in some wierd alternative dash...something starting with an N.. i only have it becuz it has temp on the main screan. ive pretty much looked thru all the menus in xbmc and i have no clue where the temp is lol which is sad, becuz i update it whenever there is a new one, and i have tons of scripts an everything, and this is like the only option that always eludes me.

it was real low today when i powered it up, around 110 and 120, and i didnt even mod the other heatsink. after a few hours, it was right back up to 125 and 145 though, but then again, this is only about a day of use.

is the gpu supposed to be a bitch to get off? i was thinking, maybe go back, and silver that shit too, but, the clip isnt even on it and i cant get it off, so i put it off til i could figure it out.

#15 no0b123

no0b123

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  • Interests:Just xbox :p
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE(War_Machine @ Jun 19 2006, 09:06 PM) View Post

is the gpu supposed to be a bitch to get off? i was thinking, maybe go back, and silver that shit too, but, the clip isnt even on it and i cant get it off, so i put it off til i could figure it out.

Kinda, I used the butt end of my old toothbrush to pry off the heatsink once the clip was removed. I highly reccomend using AS5 on both the CPU and GPU. You could also try to upgrade your fan to 80mm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users