Photo

All 120gigz Of Videos In Video Dir Vanished!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:11 AM

Oh crap!! Weirdest thing. All video's in my video's directory all the sudden disappeared tonight when using. My movies backups, my series collection. Everything. I just all the sudden no longer see any file in explorer, nor When using ftp connection. Yet the file remaining showing on F drive is still missing the approx. amount of space.
(IE- 300gig hard drive, 18 gigz left after emu's,music,pics.) when i had approx. 120gigs worth of my dvd backups on it and series. Too lazy to bring my dvd collection when going to my friends houses.)

What could've happened? Just swapped out my 250 for a new 300 not even 3 months ago. All my other stuff on F drive seems to be there and fine though.

#2 killerbootsman

killerbootsman

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:sports music xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE(djdafreund @ Jun 18 2006, 10:18 PM) View Post
Oh crap!! Weirdest thing. All video's in my video's directory all the sudden disappeared tonight when using. My movies backups, my series collection. Everything. I just all the sudden no longer see any file in explorer, nor When using ftp connection. Yet the file remaining showing on F drive is still missing the approx. amount of space.
(IE- 300gig hard drive, 18 gigz left after emu's,music,pics.) when i had approx. 120gigs worth of my dvd backups on it and series. Too lazy to bring my dvd collection when going to my friends houses.)

What could've happened? Just swapped out my 250 for a new 300 not even 3 months ago. All my other stuff on F drive seems to be there and fine though.

check you're .xml to make sure XBMC is looking in the right place for them., ie: F:/Games; G:/Games

#3 BritneysPAIRS

BritneysPAIRS

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:20 AM

sounds like and LBA48 issue. If you didnt format the 300 gig drive with LBA48 support once a partion gets over 250gigs eg F drive it will corupt the data.

#4 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE(BritneysPAIRS @ Jun 18 2006, 10:27 PM) View Post

sounds like and LBA48 issue. If you didnt format the 300 gig drive with LBA48 support once a partion gets over 250gigs eg F drive it will corupt the data.

I haven't changed anything since the past 3 months. And i've had the same amount of space used to my knowledge. Can't say i'm 100% on the LBA48 formatting, but i'm pretty sure i did it that way, back when. Guess i won't know now huh? Oh boy.

#5 BritneysPAIRS

BritneysPAIRS

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:29 PM

hope you did if not .... it can be painfull

#6 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:29 AM

Just checked everything. It's definitely LBA48 formatted, with everything on F drive. Luckly i plugged the 250 in, and it's still working, so i am recopying things again. I'm just going to leave the 100gig out of my car xbox, put the 250 in that one since it's working fine after all, and leave the 300gig in my master xbox. With a clone of everything that way. Some movies i've backed up i've lost (maybe 6-7) but some i've heard were just so so, and i'll just get them from work again either way.
Hope things are great with you buddy. mc360 is as good/better then i expected even. Very nice. Hope you are your family are doing well.

#7 BritneysPAIRS

BritneysPAIRS

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:08 AM

I didnt work on MC360, I personally dont use it....and im toying around releasing something at the moment, its a bit of surprise really but ive finished all the work on it. It may piss the elites off though as things seem to work like that. Life is going well though, its wierd to lose that data but I guess never not backup is the key.

#8 The Third Man

The Third Man

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE(djdafreund @ Jun 19 2006, 09:36 PM) View Post

Just checked everything. It's definitely LBA48 formatted, with everything on F drive. Luckly i plugged the 250 in, and it's still working, so i am recopying things again. I'm just going to leave the 100gig out of my car xbox, put the 250 in that one since it's working fine after all, and leave the 300gig in my master xbox. With a clone of everything that way. Some movies i've backed up i've lost (maybe 6-7) but some i've heard were just so so, and i'll just get them from work again either way.
Hope things are great with you buddy. mc360 is as good/better then i expected even. Very nice. Hope you are your family are doing well.

I don't think you understand LBA48. You don't format your drive with LBA48. It's a BIOS setting, not a hdd setting.

For a 300 GB hdd, you need to have your BIOS LBA48 setting as "F: takes 137, G: takes the rest." So you end up with an F: partition and a G: partition.

If you want to have one large F: partition, you can use a program like xbpartitioner to change cluster size.

If you don't do one of those two things, you'll eventually have data corruption again.

#9 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE(The Third Man @ Jun 19 2006, 09:01 PM) View Post

I don't think you understand LBA48. You don't format your drive with LBA48. It's a BIOS setting, not a hdd setting.

For a 300 GB hdd, you need to have your BIOS LBA48 setting as "F: takes 137, G: takes the rest." So you end up with an F: partition and a G: partition.

If you want to have one large F: partition, you can use a program like xbpartitioner to change cluster size.

If you don't do one of those two things, you'll eventually have data corruption again.

Well, i understand about the BIOS setting. I've always used F takes all, as i don't prefer a G drive. But, i guess i would rather live with a G drive then loose a bunch of stuff due to corruption again. Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of the 250+ situations. Always used a 250 until about, i guess it's actually been about 6 months or so now. I guess i'm finding out the hard way. Oh well. Better now then loosing everything with NO backup plan. Thanks again for that explaination. For real.

#10 BritneysPAIRS

BritneysPAIRS

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:15 AM

use xbpartion to format with 32k clusters. This works everytime and has a limit of 2 Terra then apparently smile.gif

#11 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:12 AM

I don't mean to sound lazy by asking this (spent 2 hours now trying to use 5035 BIOS and xbmc still doesn't see G drive, The autoinstaller 3.0 disc shows 156gigs on G though), but could you give me a push in the right direction as to how xbpartition is used? I would still rather have 1 F drive as i'm prefering that way. Thanks in advance.

I guess i figured it out. I loaded the program, and used the button to change to 32k clusters, then Y, and it said Formatting partition to 32k clusters, then finished. I hope that's all there is to it. Don't want to restore things, and have stuff dissapear again.

Edited by djdafreund, 20 June 2006 - 06:28 AM.

#12 The Third Man

The Third Man

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(djdafreund @ Jun 20 2006, 01:19 AM) View Post

I don't mean to sound lazy by asking this (spent 2 hours now trying to use 5035 BIOS and xbmc still doesn't see G drive, The autoinstaller 3.0 disc shows 156gigs on G though), but could you give me a push in the right direction as to how xbpartition is used? I would still rather have 1 F drive as i'm prefering that way. Thanks in advance.

I guess i figured it out. I loaded the program, and used the button to change to 32k clusters, then Y, and it said Formatting partition to 32k clusters, then finished. I hope that's all there is to it. Don't want to restore things, and have stuff dissapear again.

That sounds right. I think you should be fine, although I admit I've never changed cluster size. But a lot of people swear by it. If you want to be sure, you might want to check in the newbie chat forum. I've seen some talk about xboxpartitioner in that forum.

#13 BritneysPAIRS

BritneysPAIRS

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:09 AM

all correct you have to press white/or black or Y to change it to format in 32k clusters, if your bios is wrong it will tell you its not supported. Then press start I think to go it will say formatting in 32k clusters and takes a couple of secs then its done F drive will be upto 2 terra

smile.gif

#14 djdafreund

djdafreund

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:35 AM

Yeah, it seemed easy enough. Hey, thanks guys. Talk to ya later!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users