paranoia4422

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

I want to know, since all the component singals are used in VGA(brightness, blue and red)is it possible to Jump 2 pins so that the console thinks its outputting VGA, but really its outputting component(why not, same signal just that VGA has the HV signals right) Then you could select 1280x720 as a resolution thus giving you upscaling via component?

I want to know cause I've been considering buying a VGA cable for the 360 then buying a VGA to component adapter and doing this, but this would be more economical if someone can give me all the pinouts! Mabey everyone can have upscaling on there tv(those of us without VGA on our sets)

and please move this to general hardware if this is where it would be more appropriate.

And if i am a moron please call me one, because im not sure if the RGBHV is the same as component(minusHV)

edit: i am a moron, VGA to component cables threw me off, they say both devices must support the same type of video signal between each other.

But still, if you jumper VGA pins and select the resolution, isn't it possible the component pins be active and at the same resolution?

Edited by paranoia4422, 19 June 2006 - 10:16 PM.

#2 davinator456

davinator456

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:08 AM

im lost. why would you want to do all this? either hook it up through component, or through vga, none of this hocus pocus will make the picture any better then it can be? mebbe im wrong but i dont see this helping any...

#3 paranoia4422

paranoia4422

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE(davinator456 @ Jun 20 2006, 04:15 AM) View Post

im lost. why would you want to do all this? either hook it up through component, or through vga, none of this hocus pocus will make the picture any better then it can be? mebbe im wrong but i dont see this helping any...

Either i get component out@480p for DVDs(my tv's upscaler is horrible with 480p->1080i), or component out@720p tricking the 360 to thinking its outputting through VGA, upscaling my movies(my tv can make a very good picture with this signal)

TV doesn't have VGA, it has 2xcomponent and a HDMI port.(then like 1 composite and then 2 composite w/svideo)

Otherwise im just looking into a 25ft DVI->HDMI cable to run from my pc to my tv and then setting up a custom powerstrip resolution profile to run 1080i to watch dvd's now($10 for the cable from monoprice, $20 dvd drive off of newegg.....or i could salvage the dvd drive from the broken down dell downstairs)

Edited by paranoia4422, 20 June 2006 - 05:04 AM.

#4 Theta

Theta

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:31 AM

I'm with you on this!!!

I have the VGA adapter and the Component cables... BUT...

My projection LCD cuts off the right side of the screen when using the VGA cables. NO fix, other than 1024x768, which doesn't look great.

I was thinking about using the VGA cable, then a gender changer, than a VGA to component set of cables.

You're not alone in this!!!

#5 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

Buy the cheap ass vga to component cable then, and tell us how it works. The only problem i see is vga uses RGB levels, whereas component does not. So that being said, it will probably not work but who knows?

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Theta @ Jun 20 2006, 02:38 AM) View Post
I was thinking about using the VGA cable, then a gender changer, than a VGA to component set of cables.
QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Jun 20 2006, 04:04 AM) View Post
Buy the cheap ass vga to component cable then, and tell us how it works. The only problem i see is vga uses RGB levels, whereas component does not. So that being said, it will probably not work but who knows?

Wont work, those cables are specifically made for projectors that can accept component video but do not offer component video ports (space and cost savings) it's just utilizing the vga port for something it's not really meant for.

Component video includes a composite sync signal on the Green cable along with the black and white image. Color information is carried along the Red and Blue cables in a compressed/matrixed format.

Just because the cables are red green and blue does not mean they are actually carrying red green and blue color information. If it was an RGB signal with sync on green it might work... but Component is completely different. While RGB has a lot in common with VGA... Component video is actually closer to S-Video, essentialy it's S-Video with a bit more color separation and a higher bandwidth for higher resolutions. The colorspace is completely different.

Converting between the two is a simple process though involving some video quality op-amps. I was actually going to build a industrial grade VGA/RGB to component converter but there were a lot of people who really wanted to see the Saturn controller converter happen so I started that project instead.

Here's some info to get your started Converting VGA is pretty much the same process as converting VGA. You just have to be conscience as to if the circuit will work with resolutions above 480p
http://nfggames.com/...?showtopic=2026

http://www.keohi.com...transcoder.html (<-works with 480p and 720p)

you can build one for <$20 but buying a unit to do it can cost upward of $200... that's some markup for you

I was planning on building a couple of these so I could use my Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast (neither of which support component video but DO support RGB or VGA) on my projector through my component video switch.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 20 June 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#7 Lpk32187

Lpk32187

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

Your tv has HDMI but not VGA? Im sure theres hdmi to vga convertors out there.

#8 VinnySem

VinnySem

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:07 PM

How about piggy-backing a VGA-to-DVI converter with a DVI-to-HDMI converter?

I don't know what kind of signal loss you'd get going through 2 converters...

#9 paranoia4422

paranoia4422

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(VinnySem @ Jun 20 2006, 04:14 PM) View Post

How about piggy-backing a VGA-to-DVI converter with a DVI-to-HDMI converter?

I don't know what kind of signal loss you'd get going through 2 converters...

VGA can only fill the analog signal in DVI-I, HDMI does not carry an analog signal.

Anyway, I'm buying a 15ft DVI->HDMI cable, 3.5mm->stereo RCA adapter, and 25foot of RCA audio wires, and salvaging a DVD drive from my broken dell here, then using custom resolution parameters for powerstrip to run 1080i.

My PC will probably do a better job then my xbox, thank nvidia motion adaptive de-interlacing and high quality scaling!!!!

Still could you not jump the VGA jumpers then try to see what happens to the component video.....

Edited by paranoia4422, 20 June 2006 - 06:01 PM.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(paranoia4422 @ Jun 20 2006, 01:06 PM) View Post

Still could you not jump the VGA jumpers then try to see what happens to the component video.....

VGA uses the same pins as Component, switching the jumper to VGA would make the Component signals dissapear completely.

#11 paranoia4422

paranoia4422

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jun 20 2006, 10:43 PM) View Post

VGA uses the same pins as Component, switching the jumper to VGA would make the Component signals dissapear completely.

Thanks for clearing that up, i couldn't find component pinouts online

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users