• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Modding, especially XBOX mods.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:56 AM

I was wondering, those large anti-static bags you get when you buy some led's (the clear ones, not the grey-ish ones), if you were to cut open one of them, & lay it over the dvd drive neatly, then tape it in place with some aluminium tape, would that stop the EMF/Static waves from escaping into the room? Reason being that on one of my xbox's that has a dvd window cut out of the dvd drive, the EMF/Static makes loads of lines/interference on the tv & I still want to keep the dvd window but get rid of the EMF waves/Static/interference. Thanks.

#2 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

I have no idea if that would work, but it deffinetly sounds like it would smile.gif

#3 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:03 AM

Cool, I got the idea from those PC Monitor screen things that you just connect to a ground to stop the EMF waves/static. With the anti-static bag being taped to the dvd drive with aluminium tape (maybe connect it to the ground too) it should hopefully work in the same way. Still I'm not 100% sure though so any experts please post your thoughts on this.

#4 jrl2222

jrl2222

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Xbox v1.6<br />Xbox v1.3

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:35 AM

Why not just try it and then let everyone know?

#5 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

I would like to know if it technically works first 'cos even though it might stop the lines on the tv (the main goal of the mod), I don't have an emf meter to test it with to post if it truly stops most of the if not all of the emf waves/static. I'm also doing a lot of other mod to the xbox & so don't have much time to waste since I'm trying to get them done as soon as possible.

#6 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:48 PM

more rush = more problems to fix, and more bondo later

trust me lol

but if it stops the lines on the tv, who cares if it stops the emf waves? im not really getting u there.

#7 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie &amp; Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

You are missing the point THE WHOLE Xbox shielding is there for that reason and obviously if you have a DVD window you Don't have the top shielding And likely you don't have the bottom either. I don't mean to come across like a jerk but I think you are assuming the DVD Rom is the problem, it is likely your TV+ no shielding combo. A good deal of TV's have problems with that. Mine doesn't but I have several friends who my box makes there screen go crazy, kinda luck of the draw. good luck with that, but I imagine if you just slam that bottom shielding back in you will be better off.

#8 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:58 PM

The mods I'm doing are mainly soldering, loads of wires, relocating av ports, lan ports etc. To be honest I would like to stop the EMF waves as much as possible because although the lines on the tv are the main problem with them, they are also bad for you long term (the same as mobile phones, pc monitors etc), but I really like the dvd window too.

The shielding is still there on the base, & I have shielded & grounded the rest of the custom case with aluminium tape, all that is open are the fan grills, & the DVD window, If I use a different DVD drive with no dvd window cut from it there are no lines on the tv. The top is shielded also with aluminium tape on the inside of the case, leaving just a space for the dvd window where the perspex window is.

All I need to know is if the anti-static bags will stop emf waves, I mean they are anti-static when the components are touching them, but I don't know if they would stop emf waves (as they are possibly a different type of static in that they are in the air?) I also would have to buy some components from maplin to get a large clear anti-static bag & they rip you off so ideally I would find out if it would work first.

Edited by BuyItModIt, 21 June 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#9 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

I just did another search on yahoo.com to try to find out if the anti-static bags would work, & I found this: http://www.electrose...nal stories.htm The problems some of those people have are teriible, I never thought emf waves could be that bad, so although the anti-static bag might work, I'm just gonna cover up the dvd drive cut-out with aluminium tape or use a different dvd drive.

#10 killanarmstrong

killanarmstrong

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:19 PM

u seriously expect me to read that? and w/o pix wtf happy.gif

#11 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:31 AM

dude...dont be a hypochondriac

did u even read that stuff? thats for poeple who have electro-sensitivy. the one guy cant be around motors, light wiring, tvs, radios, cars, etc.

the waves have nothing to do with it. i work in a store where im practically surrounded by cellphones, tvs, monitors, computers, cameras, and radios all day,... i come home to work in my studio, which contains 4 computers, musical keyboards, speakers gallore, and wiring all over. ive never had any sign of any effect from being in such enviornments. in fact, i have an insane immune system. i get sick about once a year, for about half a day, usually by the nighttime, the cold is gone.

#12 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

Yeah but I thought it said that they were ordinary people before & that after being around emf waves for so long they developed their sensitivities to them, (the dentist, the mobile phone guy, etc...).

Anyways if someone knows if the mod would work it would be interesting to find out still. It may also be useful for other modders if their xbox's are shielded except for the fans & dvd window & want to keep their dvd window & get rid of the lines on the tv (that is if the mod would work of course).

#13 jrl2222

jrl2222

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Xbox v1.6<br />Xbox v1.3

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

Unless your using your Xbox as a pillow with it turned on or using it for a seat I don't think you need to worry about anything.

#14 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

I work in EMC and Im probably exposed to a lot worse emf and rf radiation and I feel fine, though this one test gives me headaches if I dont leave the room while its running, but still normal things dont bother me.

I really doubt a static bag will work, if physics taught me anything its that rf and emf radiation will not be stopped by a tiny piece of plastic meant to sheild a PC component from static from touching it all the time.

thats why they had that metal sheild thing in there, didnt know if you saw that.

if you really want to keep your window you could always go get some wire mesh and cover your DVD drive with that, it would be a lot more likely help then a static bag

#15 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:05 PM

When thinking about possible solutions I did think of wire mesh, the fan grills gave me that idea. It would be good if you could buy the plastic that they use on pc monitor emf screens, they have some sort of coating that stops the emf waves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users