5 replies to this topic

#1 bigcheat

bigcheat

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:42 AM

I've had a modded xbox for some time now but have never really copied games over to my hardrive, the reason being is I thought it would cause too much wear and tear on the hardrive having to get the game data from it instead of a disk. Does anyone know how games being read from the hardrive relates to say how much your hardrive is accessed on a computer? Should I be worried that running a game from the hardrive would be putting too much stress and in turn cause it to fail quickly or is it comparable to a hardrive in a computer which means it was built to handle that type of stress? Thanks for you time, Josh

#2 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:20 AM

It adds more wear and tear using the DVD drive. Plus, the HDD is cheaper to replace if it does fail, which it shouldn't.

#3 Grentz

Grentz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:28 AM

A computer HDD gets way more of a work out and HDDs last forever (pretty much tongue.gif ), so you should not have to worry.

As said, be more worried about the Disc Drive than the Hard Drive smile.gif

#4 FreakSho

FreakSho

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:48 AM

yep i agree with them, just like grentz said, computer harddrives go through much more crap and last for as long as your computer does, so i shouldnt really worry about it

#5 bigcheat

bigcheat

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

awesome, thanks for the input.......for some reason I got it in my head that my hardrive would last for maybe like 3 months if i started playing games from the hardrive

#6 elpimpo12

elpimpo12

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

If you think about it, you have to perform more maintenance-type stuff on your computer HDD as well with all the spyware, virus checks, etc., so I'd say a computer HDD easily gets a more extensive workout. I've had my xbox modded with a bigger HDD for almost a year now, and I run a lot of stuff off of it for emulators, music, playin games w/o live, so you should be more than fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users