BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:45 AM

PICS ARE LOST DO NOT PM ME TO REPOST THEM AS I DO NOT HAVE THEM ANYMORE!

First off I would like to thank [-elmo-] for his suggestions for doing this mod.

Supplies:

SATA power to Molex cable
SATA cable
XBOX 360 SATA HDD removed from its case
Solder iron (I used a 15/30 watt from radio shack)
solder
snips
wire cutters
electrical tape

some items you might need:
wire
hot glue
^^I used these for extending wires and covering exposed wire with hotglue and electrical tape.

Our victims:
SATA Power Cable to Molex cable and generic SATA cable. On my Sata power cable there was a yellow cable(12V) and another black cable(ground) you can just cut those right off at the connector.

IPB Image

First you need to decide where you are gonna place your HDD, you can prob put it on the opposite side of the case if you wanted to, you might just have to extend the some cables. You might be able to put the harddrive under the opposite grill, above the shielding and below the grill, this may require you to cut some metal shielding to place it there. For me, I am just resting it on my DVD drive.

My length will be short, just enough to make it above the DVD drive and connect the HDD. Cut your wires to the proper length and strip the wires.

Here's a picture of the SATA connector that shows numbers that correspond to the pins on the motherboard. Make sure you follow the wire from the pin on the connector to the end of the wire you stripped, as it is important to where you connect to on the motherboard.

IPB Image

There is 7 total wires in the SATA cable. Wire 7 which corresponds to pin 7 on the motherboard, is right next to the L shaped part of the SATA connector. When I stripped mine, some of the wires were already exposed and not shielded, so I didnt want that to be a problem with anything so I took some wire and soldered 7 pieces to the SATA cable so no wire would be exposed to touching metal. I then covered the wires in hot glue and then covered those in electrical tape. I didnt want any shorts to happen or any damage to the mobo or HDD to happen.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Next you want to locate the pins under the motherboard. They are directly below the HDD connector on the motherboard. I numbered all the pins accordingly and will tell you each pins function.
Pins 1-7 are for the SATA cable
Pins 8-10 are ground
pins 11-13 are 5V
pin 14 isnt used.

Now you want to solder your SATA data cable to the bottom of your motherboard. Make sure you connect the correct wire to each pin. You will be using pins 1-7, see picture below.

IPB Image

Now after you solder the SATA data cable, you need to solder your SATA power cable. The wire gauge was to fat on my power cable, so I soldered a smaller gauge wire to it so I could connect to the pins easier. You can use pins 8-10 for ground and pins 11-13 for power. I used pin 10 for my ground and pin 11 for my 5V power connection. You only have to connect to one of these pins, perhaps you could use this 5V for a LED mod or something in the future, which I will be. Solder your ground to pin 10 and solder your 5V to pin 11 and you are almost done.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cover your solder work with hot glue or electrical tape. Place your HDD where you plan on having it and connect your wires and you are done. Test to make sure your HDD works before putting everything back together first.

IPB Image

Edited by BoNg420, 28 April 2008 - 12:18 PM.

#2 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:04 AM

awesome tut... maybe ill do this with my next 360.

#3 edwinmcdunlap

edwinmcdunlap

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:12 AM

Cool. Now what happens when you want to take the hard drive off? tongue.gif e.g. going to a friend's house

Edited by edwinmcdunlap, 24 June 2006 - 04:13 AM.

#4 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE(edwinmcdunlap @ Jun 23 2006, 11:19 PM) View Post

Cool. Now what happens when you want to take the hard drive off? tongue.gif e.g. going to a friend's house

It's called a memory card, they cost $40, but I hear you can get them cheap on ebay tongue.gif

I am doing this because I am modding a crystal XCM case and they dont have a crystal HDD case, so this is a good solution since the HDD looks dumb on top.

#5 nateh90

nateh90

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:28 AM

Well done on the tutorial, I did this a few months ago, great job Bong. Later this week i should have a tutorial up on how to internalize your Hard drive using the stock connector, so stay tuned. Thanks - Nate

#6 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE(nateh90 @ Jun 23 2006, 11:35 PM) View Post

Well done on the tutorial, I did this a few months ago, great job Bong. Later this week i should have a tutorial up on how to internalize your Hard drive using the stock connector, so stay tuned. Thanks - Nate

yea. this way is kind of better, that way you dont have to cut your stock one up, in case you want to externalize it again someday.

#7 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:59 AM

Nice Tut, BoNg

- Added to tutorials section

Edited by G0t M4xx 21, 24 June 2006 - 06:42 AM.

#8 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:30 AM

dude g0t m4xx, when did you become a mod!?!?!?

#9 llwahooll

llwahooll

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:15 AM

nice toot man, im doing it right now wink.gif

#10 HardcorePooka

HardcorePooka

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:38 AM

Looks like I have something to do tomorrow... saves me from having to paint my HD casing to match my XCM case.

#11 nateh90

nateh90

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Jun 24 2006, 04:41 AM) View Post

yea. this way is kind of better, that way you dont have to cut your stock one up, in case you want to externalize it again someday.

Agreed lol, thats why i used Standard SATA connectors on mine a few months back. Great tut. Thanks - Nate

#12 davsin50

davsin50

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

PERFECT!

Great guide. I came to the conclusion yesterday that I would need to have the HDD inside my casemod (under the Mainboard) but was putting off working out how to do it tongue.gif

First thing after work tomorrow I will be doing it.

#13 sick_mate_xbox

sick_mate_xbox

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:-Skateboarding<br />-My VT Commodore<br />-Xbox Modding<br />-Rachael :)<br />-Snakes
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

when those great people find out a way to use a larger hard drive, this mod will come in handy biggrin.gif

#14 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

Great idea and good explanation throughout tutorial.

This really only helps the case-modders at this time as the original HD keeps such a low profile anyways. Of course this will come in handy when larger HDs can be used.

#15 Staple

Staple

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

pretty cool bong biggrin.gif your signature make me sick thou biggrin.gif

Edited by Staple, 25 June 2006 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users