• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coolian1232

coolian1232

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:49 AM

compleate idiot here i thought xbox had a mobo that dident alow anything non-xbox and again complete idiot but my highest hope is win 2000 plz help i cant aford a laptop and a windows xbox is as good its a portable computer thats not that heavy witch is all i need for my "bisnuess"

(ps:im a complete computer genuis but when it comes to xbox the only thing i kno is i can open it and look at it)

Edited by coolian1232, 24 June 2006 - 05:57 AM.

#2 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:03 AM

The Xbox can't currently run a normal version of Windows directly. There is a port of Windows CE that works, but you can't do a lot with it. Most people here are running a PC emulation program called QEMU from an Xbox Linux distribution (xDSL). QEMU emulates an entire PC and is quite capable of running Win98 without any problems at a reasonable speed.

If you want to use the Xbox as a 'real computer', your best bet would be to install a Linux distribution on it and just use Linux, tbh. The main 'point' of running win98 under QEMU is to play old DOS/Windows games on the xbox, rather than day-to-day computing.

There's no fundamental hardware reason why the Xbox couldn't run a normal version of Windows - Windows just needs to be slightly modified (in the same ways that Linux was), have drivers for the Xbox's hardware written, and have a bootloader that can bring Windows up from inside the Xbox kernel written. This is a pretty hard task, though, and nobody is really pursuing it as far as I know.

Edited by torne, 24 June 2006 - 09:04 AM.

#3 coolian1232

coolian1232

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:51 AM

thanks for th info do u know where to get the emulator/linux? uhh.gif and what is linux uhh.gif ive never used it i only know windows PLZ reply biggrin.gif smile.gif blink.gif laugh.gif jester.gif muhaha.gif rolleyes.gif cool.gif wink.gif wink.gif happy.gif pop.gif unsure.gif
uhh.gif i like these smilys im not crazy im just intreeged oh and does the xbox have to b chip moded

Edited by coolian1232, 25 June 2006 - 01:57 AM.

#4 torne

torne

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Reverse engineering, Linux, crazy operating systems voodoo, embedded development
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

There's a guide to getting win98 to run under QEMU using xDSL on this forum somewhere. If you have no familiarity with linux at all, though, you might find it a little tricky.

Any kind of mod will do, you can start Linux using an xbe version of Cromwell from your dash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users