X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

This will be my official worklog beerchug.gif

I've gotten a lot of ideas from this forums since I started posting on it a couple weeks ago. I know Mick Raider has his TT box. Since I'm a Clemson student, eventually when I'm done you'll have a Clemson one to look at. My ideas for the box are not 100% planned out at the moment, and I've pretty much stuck to simple mods up until now since I've still got a lot of stuff to learn and don't want to rush into anything before I get the basics down.

So far I have cleared the jewel, which you may have seen in my other topic when I posted a question about it. It can be seen here:

IPB Image

I...am hooked on this dremel I bought. It was $35 from Walmart and is a DREMEL Model 275 T6...works awesome. I bought some reinforced disks for the metal cutting for about $5 for a pack of 5, which I used for this mod I completed in about 30 minutes today biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by elpimpo12, 25 June 2006 - 08:31 PM.

#2 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:01 PM

smile.gif

#3 nightmare84j28

nightmare84j28

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

That cutting is real nice biggrin.gif

#4 FreakSho

FreakSho

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

very nice cuts, looks like my dremel and i bought it for 20 at radio shack, dont know if its the same one or not but looks identical

#5 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:55 PM

lookin good m8!!

#6 Zeck

Zeck

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:58 PM

I have that same dremel. =P Nice cutting by the way, really professional.

#7 elpimpo12

elpimpo12

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:56 AM

Thanks. biggrin.gif It was my first time ever using a dremel. It took a minute to get the technique down, but it wasn't too bad.

#8 crzyimage

crzyimage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, Computers

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:27 AM

*cries*
I have a shitty wireless dremel. cant even cut plastic

#9 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:48 AM

other dremmels tremble in fear of my dremmel grr.gif

btw..

i know its too late.. but u really shoulda cut the dvd cover into some sort of symbol or something. i was planning to do that at first, then i was like, fuck it, thats too complex. but everytime i look at it now, it jus makes me think its like everyone elses xbox who can cut a hole an throw some plexi on. i duno, something about a custom design leads the minds eye to believe theres more inside the box than a chip you bought and a handful of exactly-like-everyone-elses mods... at first glance, youd probly miss half the mods that are visable on my box, so it kinda sucks for me lol

Edited by War_Machine, 26 June 2006 - 01:52 AM.

#10 Zodiiak

Zodiiak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE(War_Machine @ Jun 25 2006, 08:55 PM) View Post

other dremmels tremble in fear of my dremmel grr.gif
btw..

i know its too late.. but u really shoulda cut the dvd cover into some sort of symbol or something. i was planning to do that at first, then i was like, fuck it, thats too complex. but everytime i look at it now, it jus makes me think its like everyone elses xbox who can cut a hole an throw some plexi on. i duno, something about a custom design leads the minds eye to believe theres more inside the box than a chip you bought and a handful of exactly-like-everyone-elses mods... at first glance, youd probly miss half the mods that are visable on my box, so it kinda sucks for me lol

I disagree. I think he did great job, even with it being a "Default" cut. Many custom designs are better left in the head, because when 'cut' onto the BOX, they come out looking like crap...I'm not sayin safe is always best, i'm just saying, it looks great--and i don't think custom designs say 'hey he's got more going on that what most has'

#11 henmill

henmill

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, modding, general electronics

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:38 AM

Nice work--excellent job for a first time dremel user. I can tell you do things right, and I expect your box will turn out great! biggrin.gif

Edited by henmill, 26 June 2006 - 02:39 AM.

#12 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:30 AM

hahahahaah crzyimage i can't belive u sigged that.

nice cuts dude, i can't cut metal for shit

which could make my next project a tad challenging ph34r.gif

#13 Chicken_Chaser

Chicken_Chaser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Electronics/Electronic Equipment, Gaming, Consoles, Internet, anything capable of being modded up!
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:35 AM

That's really good! I bet my first time cutting will be a mess lol. I personally think the default look is better than some (not all, though) custom ones, like, they look more smooth and like "Here it is, nothing too fancy, still looks great" type of feeling to it. well done smile.gif

CC.

#14 elpimpo12

elpimpo12

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:47 AM

I thought about trying a different type of cut on the drive, but then I thought about doing a different style for the "window". I'm still not totally sure if I want to take the direction I'm thinking since it will be rather complicated and would require some practice before touching my xbox. I've got some free time during my job, so I'm sure brainstorming won't be a problem.

My approach to cutting with the dremel was pretty simple: realize that you can always cut off extra, but you can't put it back on. I didn't draw lines to cut the piece in the center (the outsides didn't really need lines obviously, just stick to the edge of the drive). Instead I cut straight lines around the middle circle until it got pretty close to circular and cut some rough lines around the peninsula piece then pretty much tapped the disk on the places that needed more cutting before I put the sander on. I used my eye as a guide for the straight lines. The sander head took over from there. If you're patient, it's really not bad. Just make sure to wear safety stuff! I put on a jacket and sunglasses...the metal dust isn't bad but that plastic from the case will hit you and stick to your skin!

And thanks for the EEPROMs, Zodiiak beerchug.gif

Edited by elpimpo12, 26 June 2006 - 11:49 AM.

#15 elpimpo12

elpimpo12

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:37 AM

Quick little update on the project. I started working on it tonight but then was easily convinced to clear the table and play beer pong for about an hour and a half. I finally got some bondo today (not shown in following picture) instead of just the patching putty (which is shown in this picture taken yesterday...be nice, I'm learning as I go...). I bought a simple USB hub and decided to place it in the rear of the console. I wanted to save space near the A/V unit , so I decided to place it into the case, and I cut away the metal casing so that when I lift the plastic, the USB circuit board stays connected to the plastic case and lifts right out. I will be using some bondo to permanently place this and cover up some other stuff I do over the next couple days, so no guarantee on the next update. More will be posted next thread...as long as there's no beer pong to play.

IPB Image

Edited by elpimpo12, 28 June 2006 - 05:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users