1. To port any game to the Xbox you need: A) REAL Source code and cool.gif It should be DirectX based - if you cannot handle these two requirements, don't even bother asking about it.
2. Porting is still not a trivial task. It takes time, effort, and experience to pull off.
Not very encouraging to someone who doesn't know a lot. However then I happened to stumble accross nes6502's little porting guide. Still sounds hard, don't get me wrong here, but it at least now sounds feasible. So according to his guide I need:
2) Visual Studio 2003. NET
3) You do not need a debug XBOX (even though it is helpful). Without one, you will be burning CDís every time you want to test a change.
K not hard to get these, and number three was a relief to hear. I also hear its best that the source is written in C.
I wanted to port Abuse myself for 3 reasons.
1. Because school is out for the summer I have an ass load of free time on my hands and frankly I am bored.
2. Abuse is a kick ass game. Hard as hell, but still kick ass. If you haven't played it, you dont know what you are missing.
3. I am tired of seeing all these posts (heck I think I even made one of my own at one point) of people asking for stuff to be ported. If you want it ported guys, nes6502 is right here, you will need to port it yourself. Don't just ask for a port, or plan to "lead a porting project" where everyone else does the work. (The later is just fucking annoying!) Ports do take time, and cost money, (simple econ here, you give up opportunity costs by choosing to port something rather than selling yourself on the corner for cash. Yeah that was a crappy example, but it gets the point across that you are giving up an opportunity to make money by choosing to port something) so show people you really want something ported and take some initiative. The community around here, for at least as long as I have been lurking around, is really nice and if you put effort into it they will try and answer questions you may have.
Ok so now onto my idea (which is totally unoriginal) of porting Abuse. I can go about this in 2 different ways.
1. A full port. Get this to acually work as a homebrew app. The source is here. It's written in SDL, not C as I had hoped, so my questions are: Does this make this easier or harder to port? Is there extra steps to make this work? Is it just plain impossible to port an SDL package (me thinks not because of SDLx, which can't be too different I guess)? I will be googling tutorials, any links that you think may help would be greatly appriciated.
2. An odd idea that may work. I know nothing of running linux on my xbox (I guess there is a time to try everything) and I think that if I use the Linux packages of Abuse I may get it to work there. It's a long shot, but it may work. So it would be like running ePSXe or OpenMUGEN at that point. Tell me what you guys think of this idea. If I get good thoughts I may try this first.
Anywho wish me luck, I will be trying this ASAP. And hopefully I will be able to port this puppy. I have always wanted to contribute to this community somehow. Sorta give back to those who have brought me hours of joy. Hope this works!