2 replies to this topic

#1 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 12:29 PM

Well, i've sort of got a machine that is like erm running well at the moment, fast, quiet etc but recently it's been getting hiccups etc etc... this is winxp pro though...

Has any change the options in regedit to unload/uncache dlls that each program loads whenever ? i supposed this would make better memory usage though.... never tried it yet just wondering...

what other routine tune-ups that u guys do?... i normally defrag, delete entire contents in prefetch, run ad-aware, anti-virus, checking event viewer and sort of shit.....

#2 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 May 2003 - 12:58 PM

First of all, run adaware, anti-virus, "Disk Cleanup" and "Disk Defragment".

Then mess around with your performance settings (Control panel, System, Advanced, Performance settings).

In "Visual Effects", uncheck everything except "Use Common tasks in folders" and "Smooth edges of screen fonts".

In advanced, change the paging file to whatever you think you need (windows will recommend for you), mine's at 1150-4096.

Then check your programs, try reinstalling them.. delete all the programs you don't need.

#3 Mshake

Mshake

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 02:48 PM

hhehe that's usually what i do, so in other words, unloading dlls off the winxp cache doesn't make any difference?....smile.gif

too bad that we neeeed windows for most of our programs, ... if not i'll go full linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users