War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:18 AM

i have my fan set up with a 2 pole 2 position switch... up is the 5v and ground from the mobo, and down is the 12v and ground from the molex, which i spliced into.

ever since i did that though, there will be times, my box will randomly shut off on me. at first, i figured, maybe i flipped the switch while the xbox was running, so that messed with it, becuase i herd youre not supposed to switch it while its on. but this time, i turned on my box real qwik, didnt even touch the switch, and laoded up a psx rom... 15 min in, thing shuts off. not even overheating either, no purple (orange) light, just plain shuts off. so i turn it back on, its fine... but then the wireless controllers arnt working. wierd. all the wiring for the controllers was flawless. theyve worked from day 1, never had a problem..and i know the batteries are good. they are also all taped up and glued, so theres no short circuits anywhere. wierd shit. if this is cuz of the fan mod...ill fuckin stick with plain 5v... i might get overheating..and ploby have to add another fan, but at least i wont be fucking dealing with it randomly powering off and not being able to play cuz the recievers arnt working.

#2 47_M450N_47

47_M450N_47

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, anything with computers and networking. Gaming. Shooting stuff, blowing up stuff.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:22 AM

As a general rule, it's a bad idea to splice into the molex adapters. Buy a splitter for $5 from cyberguys or a local store and connect the fan to that instead of splicing. It always works best to get a professionally made splitter.

#3 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:26 AM

i dont see how that would make a difference

i mean ,its not like im doing some shitty twist job here.. im using copper wiring, and im soldering the wires together, so its making a good connection. how much better could the splitter be?

ok... maybe i did this wrong.. i could have swore i seen a million times it said to splice the red, and the black wires, becuz thats 12v and ground...but in this pic...i see the yellow (in my case orange) and other black wire spliced for the fan:

IPB Image

http://secure.llamma...&products_id=83

Edited by War_Machine, 28 June 2006 - 03:31 AM.

#4 47_M450N_47

47_M450N_47

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, anything with computers and networking. Gaming. Shooting stuff, blowing up stuff.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:31 AM

It's amazing what a difference that splitter can really make. Just ask grim_d about his LEDs he had running on the 5v from the molex plugged into his HD. It was locking up and stuff all the time. He ran the LEDs from te 5v on the controller ports instead and voila it worked fine. Splitters really do make a difference. To be honest with you, I don't really get why. Must be something about both of the wires being split off at the same point or something. They just work a lot better. Trust me, it's worth the $5.

#5 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:59 AM

itll be more like 2.50..maybe 6-7 after shipping

but yeah, im wondering if i wired this shit wrong... i mean, it works..but why is that splitter showing the yellow and black.

#6 supergoose

supergoose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:06 AM

because yellow is 12v, red is 5v and black is gnd.

#7 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:52 AM

so that isnt even the right cable then

wierd... look at the description on the site though...

Edited by War_Machine, 28 June 2006 - 04:53 AM.

#8 jrl2222

jrl2222

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Xbox v1.6<br />Xbox v1.3
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(War_Machine @ Jun 27 2006, 11:59 PM) View Post

so that isnt even the right cable then

wierd... look at the description on the site though...

Am I missing something here? It's a 12v adapter and supergoose just said yellow is 12v.

QUOTE(supergoose @ Jun 27 2006, 11:13 PM) View Post

because yellow is 12v, red is 5v and black is gnd.

How is that adapter not right?
IPB Image

#9 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:20 AM

^sorry, im dislexic, i read ur post as the other way around, i actually read it about 3 times too, and it still didnt register lol

its funny though..when i took the fan off of the molex, the problems went away. im wondering if an adapter is going to fix that, or give me a nice clean hook up, with the same problems

anyways, thank you both for helping me

#10 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:19 PM

I think it has to deal with how the electrons flow. You could try sticking a diode where you spliced into the hard drive cable.

I dunno, I spliced in on this xbox and have had no problems whatsoever, and it's powering 42 leds.

#11 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

did you soldre the wires together? or just twist up and tape? im trying to figure out why its so sensitive, i really dont know. im thinking maybe the flow was increased away from the hd by soldering it.. or maybe its slowing it downs/peeding it up somehow.

#12 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:33 PM

Solder. I also never cut the wire itself, I just used a blade and cut away the shielding to have a point to solder to.

DC really shouldn't be affected by things running in series.

#13 War_Machine

War_Machine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

yeah i didnt cut the wire, i used the iron to melt away the platic coating then soldered the wire onto the molex wire

#14 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Modding, especially XBOX mods.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

Yep the yellow wire is the +12V.

Edited by BuyItModIt, 28 June 2006 - 10:34 PM.

#15 BuyItModIt

BuyItModIt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Modding, especially XBOX mods.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:55 PM

The stock fan might run at +5v but some fans don't. The fan connector on the motherboard is 6V or 7V at the standard fanspeed I think, as you increase the fanspeed in xbmc it can go up to 12v. The red wire on the molex is +5v. So it might have been that when the fan was connected to the +5V of the molex it was waiting longer for enough power to build up in the fan to run from the +5v, causing some slowdown with the hdd (if that's possible). Try wiring the red wire of the fan to the +12V instead of the +5v. Also it would be helpful if you could post a diagram of your wiring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users