• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

Xbox exec reaffirms Microsoft's commitment to digital distribution
Posted by XanTium | June 28 10:09 EST

From gamesindustry.biz:

Xbox Live Arcade boss Greg Canessa has reaffirmed Microsoft's commitment to promoting online distribution as games get more expensive to produce and traditional genres begin to disappear.

Speaking at the Hollywood and Games Summit, Canessa said that Microsoft's executives "are big believes in online distribution", highlighting the success of Xbox Live Arcade.
According to Canessa, XBL was at least in part developed because "Games are getting more expensive to produce... And the great game genres are disappearing."

Canessa then turned to the subject of episodic content, which Microsoft plans to release for games such as Grand Theft Auto IV. According to Canessa, episodic content is the "natural evolution of digital distribution."

Read More: gamesindustry.biz

#2 dutch nelson

dutch nelson

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

i could'nt care less.

i want more info about the possible hacked 360 with the 400 gig HDD!!!

If it is real why is'nt the info being shared? ""anonymously?"'

you guys post news about devil360 and other stuff, and we don't hear from you or them again about that subject and other stuff.

Give us some info , please!!

Edited by dutch nelson, 28 June 2006 - 02:22 PM.

#3 BCfosheezy

BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(dutch nelson @ Jun 28 2006, 08:28 AM) View Post
i could'nt care less.

i want more info about the possible hacked 360 with the 400 gig HDD!!!

If it is real why is'nt the info being shared? ""anonymously?"'

you guys post news about devil360 and other stuff, and we don't hear from you or them again about that subject and other stuff.

Give us some info , please!!

Calm down. Nobody knows for sure so don't get your hopes up. It could just as easily be a hoax.

#4 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

is this really news, xbox people say xbox stuff is good

I mean I agree and everything but its not news

#5 dutch nelson

dutch nelson

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:32 PM

Wait, im confused.

Is xbox-scene a homebrew and developing great software site or has it been taken over by MS and are they going to post commercial news?

#6 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:06 PM

its an information site, if you dont want this information then dont read it

the things your talking about come from members and outside places and the front page will give you that news as well.

#7 89c4l98

89c4l98

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

20GB drives are too small to do this... We would have to sell out more cash for a larger drive...

also gamestop,ebgames, etc etc are all in business because of the games....and accesories

they dont make much on the console sales.. well for the 360 they dont.

retail stores would boycott and not sell any 360 related stuff...

#8 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

why would they boycott, nothing is going to change, games will still be sold, the point was the fact of expansions and game updates will be more and more distributed via live rather than by disk.

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:19 PM

I really dislike virtual distrobution...

I refuse to buy music online (I still drive to the store and buy my CDs)

If I could purchase a physical disc for my XBLA games I'd do that. I just don't feel like I actually own something unless I have a physical THING in return for my money.

I like the flexibility of a virtual medium... but I feel it needs a physical backup as well. I rip all my CDs so I can stream the music to various media players throughout my house, put it on an MP3 disc and play it in my car etc. but I have that CD. If I ever decide I don't want that thing any more I can wipe the files from my server and sell the CD at the music store. out of the 12 games I've purchased for the 360 I've re-sold 6 of them... I can't do that with any of the XBLA games... and there are some I would have liked to.

I like the ability to get it instantly over the internet, I like the ability to pop off my HDD and tote it to my Buddy's house and play them there. I don't like the fact that if I decide I don't want it anymore I can't sell it. I makes me feel like I don't really own IT just that I paid for non transferable permission to use it.

If they gave me the option of a physical XBLA game disc for an extra $1 on top of what I bought I'd do that without thinking twice.

If they want to virtually distribute full games through XBL I'll be driving to the store until the point where I have no other option.

Edited by twistedsymphony, 28 June 2006 - 05:22 PM.

#10 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

yea I see your point on that. I too hate buying music online unless its hard to find or would just cost a lot more to get. I like the arcade and have accidently bought a game on there (my own stupidity) that I wouldve liked to get rid of, though they offer a demo of everything so you get a chance to try it out, so that justifies it to a degree. When the arcade games are $8 or less I really dont mind downloading them, but with supposed games being upwards of $12 I really would rather buy a disk because its something that I will probably get tired of and want to pass on or trade in.

#11 jimjom

jimjom

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

i have to agree, the extra $1 is totally worth having the physical copy. Though I have enjoyed the various addons, especially Oblivion, what if I lose my drive ... well I guess I get to download everything again.

What if I wanted to lend out marble madness blast ultra (tongue.gif)... well that aint happening.

I feel overall, the price of these digitalies should be lowered greatly and should never cost more than $4-$5 tops. you're not getting a actual physical copy, that alone should cut down on costs enough to pass it on to the consumers.

#12 Gbeav

Gbeav

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

I hate myself for downloading the two games that I have purchased. I downloaded Oblivion for the PC because I still don't have a DVD drive (dont laugh) and that's the only way comes otherwise. Now I hate the fact that I can't reinstall it if I choose to format and have to go through the 3 day attempt again like when I bought it. Horrible download speeds and it kept screwing up and giving bad files.

Then I bought the expansion for BF2 and now I have this stupid EA downloader in my tray I can't get rid of and I can't play the expansion offline.

For consoles until I see a 500 Gig HD and we all have 150 MBps connections I just can't see it. Even now there is talk with my ISP that certain people including gamers is using just way too much bandwidth and they are considering capping people. They have said it is just costing too much for certain users that do nothing all day but download movies, files, play games.

#13 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(jimjom @ Jun 28 2006, 12:59 PM) View Post

...I feel overall, the price of these digitalies should be lowered greatly and should never cost more than $4-$5 tops. you're not getting a actual physical copy, that alone should cut down on costs enough to pass it on to the consumers.
Totally agree with you there... I might drop $10 for Zuma if I was getting a case, a disc and a full color manual... but there are just some games I can't bring myself to purchase for that price as a download. Sorry but $5-$7 is my limit unless it's something at absolutely MUST HAVE (Like Marble Blast Ultra) but even that was a hard pill to swallow.

QUOTE(Gbeav @ Jun 28 2006, 02:23 PM) View Post

...For consoles until I see a 500 Gig HD and we all have 150 MBps connections I just can't see it. Even now there is talk with my ISP that certain people including gamers is using just way too much bandwidth and they are considering capping people. They have said it is just costing too much for certain users that do nothing all day but download movies, files, play games.

I agree completely. No way in hell we'll download full retail games with only ~14GB of free HDD space on the 360. Not that you'd even want to tie up your console's time downloading a full retail game with the consumer bandwidth speeds what they are.

Also screw any ISP that caps your bandwidth because you actually utilize it to the full extent of what they sold you.

#14 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:42 PM

what pisses me off about micorsoft saying how great digital distros will be and are, is that its not working....

here we are 5 months after live poker was to be released and nothing....street fighter 2!...nothing
major neilson says its just like releasing a game on disc there ar bugs and delays and...and...and fuck you!
its street fighter 2 for christsake! how "easy" is the 360 to program for and we cant get a SIMPLE 2D figher out when they promise?

im sick of hearing how wonderful live and live/digital distrobution is and will be...cause i dont see it...
all i see is abunch of motherfuckign movie trailers and shitty music noone wants to listen to.

the trick to getting any distrobution digital or otherwise to work is...... to fucking distribute somthing!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the rant... im done

#15 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:12 PM

IPB Image rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty aggrivated with the delays too... but I'm not entirely sure it's the fault of the digital distrobution system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users