PSiEK!

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

The following is a re-post from the XBOX 1 Hardware/ Case modding thread.
As no one well being helpful I am now trying here to see if someone can take a look at my choices, and possibly recommend anything else.

This is for my project X64.
X64! WIP

IPB Image

ROLLS RA53b Headphone Amplifier Pro's

1. $655.84USD Cheaper.
No further explanation needed.

2. Each Gamer has a choice of headphone output jacks (1/4" or 3.8mm).
Most high end headphones have a 1/4" jack plug, and most high quality headphones are sold with a 3.8mm to 1/4" adapter.
** More player options = Very Good! ***

3. The 5th channel can be used for external stereo speakers. (Channels 1 - 4 being for players 1 - 4)
External stereo speakers can be used in conjunction with the 1 - 4 player headphones to reproduce low end bass and other sounds that the headphones can't, or for a much louder playing experience the gamers can chose to use the external speakers exclusively!

4. Headphone output jacks and volume dials are mounted on the amplifiers' face.
This feature will make it much easier to mount on X64 Chassis front panel. It also aids the player in identifying which volume dial is his/hers, buy lining up with each respective USB controller port.

5. RCA Left and Right Audio Input.
RCA is the port type the XBOX HD/AV Pack outputs, all I would have to use is a simple stereo Male - Male RCA cable.

6. 2 XLR (think microphone) inputs.
I can tie all 16 RA53b's together with a microphone to announce changing games (i.e. HALO to HALO 2),
making sure everyone has all their profiles/characters selected, and speed up the process by MC'ing the events.
Since I own the X64, I will more than likely be in "control" of it at all times. Plus it beats screaming over 64+ gamers.

7. 5 Individual Player adjustable Volume Dials.
Some gamers like their LAN parties loud, others like it fairly quiet, so the can hone their sniping skills.

8. Zero Headphone Inventory AKA B.Y.O.H.P.O.S. (Bring your own headphones or speakers.)
I don't have to purchase, store, clean, or lug around 64 pairs of headsets, not to mention the mess of cable they would inherently provide.
There are also health issues to be considered with communal headphones, some people just aren't keen on being clean.

ROLLS RA53b Headphone Amplifier Con's

1. Each ROLLS Amplifier unit is heavier than the ART Amplifiers.
Weight tends to make thing heavy, but then again does not include 64 headphones in that estimate.

2. The ROLLS Amplifier unit has features that I will not utilize.
There are Inputs/Outputs that I will not use, and that may be a waste of $$$ and weight.

3. B.Y.O.H.P.O.S. (Bring your own headphones or speakers.)
Some gamers may feel that this is a cheap way of not providing everything for their total gaming experience.
However, in this day and age, you would have to look very hard to find a gamer WITHOUT a couple spare headphones or speakers that
they could bring.

IPB Image

AKG/ART Studio Headphone Amplifier Pack Pro's

1. Headphones are provided, free of charge!
Each gamer can use the provided high quality headphone set OR bring their own set of headphones *Must bring optional 3.8mm to 1/4" adapter*

2. Each ART Amplifier unit is lighter than the ROLLS Amplifiers.
Does not include 64 headphones in the weight estimate.

3. Each ART Amplifier unit is purpose built.
Every Input and Output is being utilized. No wasted $$$ on features I will not use!

4. 4 Individual Player adjustable Volume Dials.
Some gamers like their LAN parties loud, others like it fairly quiet, so the can hone their sniping skills.

AKG/ART Studio Headphone Amplifier Pack Con's

1. $655.84USD More expensive.
No further explanation needed.

2. 1/4" TRS Audio Input.
All I will need a 1/4" male to female RCA cable to hook up to XBOX HD/AV Pack outputs.

3. No External Speaker option.
There is no way to hook up external speakers, without unplugging one of the players' headphones,
and even then you would have to use a 1/4" Male Jack to female RCA or female 3.8mm adapter.

4. Headphone output jacks and volume dials are mounted in an opposing configuration.
It will take allot of work to get the volume dials, headphone jacks and USB controller ports to line up in a logical fashion.

5. No microphone inputs.
Will have to have external PA solution, or resort to shouting, and lots of it.

6. Massive Headphone Inventory.
I will have to find a place to store, clean, and lug around 64 pairs of headsets, not to mention deal with the tangle mess of cables they would provide. This will add significant weight, (to store and protect) and may prove to be expensive. (i.e. replacing headphones due to wear and tear, breakage, and theft.) There are also health issues to be considered with communal headphones, some people just aren't keen on being clean. And guess who gets to clean all the ear/hair gunk off 128 earpieces.

Sorry for the length of post. Please let me know if my logic is flawed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users